Windows vista beta 2 for public

Yeah, I've got it downloaded and installed. It's pretty neat, but it's nothing new -- just XP with a nice GUI.

Think I may download it when I get home from work... well run the paces between xp64 and vista see which feels better.

So far i'm not too impressed. My sound drivers work barily. IMO they made it harder for experienced win98/2k/xp users to navigate (made it too friendly to new users)

Last edited:
It will be intresting to see how the poor/moderate graphic cards react to Vista since it doesnt seem to give em chance to cool down after games

Talon said:
So far i'm not too impressed. My sound drivers work barily. IMO they made it harder for experienced win98/2k/xp users to navigate (made it too friendly to new users)
I'm having difficulties with getting sound to work as well.

I agree about the "new"-ness of it -- using Vista makes me feel stupid because I can't figure out where anything is.

However, one thing that I think is really cool, is the new Start menu, and how you can just instantly start typing for something after you click Start. I even just typed 'cmd' into the Start menu and it launched the trusty command prompt. Pretty clever!

My first time installing vista this morning, I didnt know how it would act with a windows installation already on a primary drive. So i unhooked my Xp drive and installed it on slave hdd. Now that I know, i'ma dual boot xp and vista. I also put back in my sound blaster 24bit live! card (i thought it was causing computer instabililty, turns out it was WMP11 beta). So i'll see how it does. Every program i tried/ installed worked, including a few games.

slow downloads last night delayed me so now I'm burning the iso...

I'm not too sure about it... sound blaster still haven't made my drive that will work on vista for sound and the proformance could be better. I think I have a fairly strong pc... it meets and beats the higher requirments but it still runs kinda slow... hate to think what the min requirements would run like.

You can put vista on even older hardware but don't expect it to be useable.
I would think it'd be fully useable on older machines, you just won't get all the pretty GUI features.

And, what the heck is a VBista, anyway? =P

I get an error message when I try to install it. System specs are:

Opterion 148
1 GB PC3200 Ballistix
30GB Seagate HDD
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT
CoolerMaster 600w PS

I was previously running Fedora Core 5.0, so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem.

That's absurd! Anyway, I can wait till it goes gold before installing it. Looks like fun and shiny to play with, but I just don't care enough to set it up.

Back