why me!

galatian

guess what :( my hard drive died AGAIN apparently!
I dont get it my dad and me have identical computers literally and this is the 2nd hard drive mine has gone through and my dads is perfectly fine.
They are like 4ish year old macs and it makes me sad :(.

SOO i wanted to get your guys opinion... should we get another hard drive orr get me a new desktop or a laptop. Im honestly leaning towards saving for a really nice laptop that ill be able to use for college but im not sure what laptops to look at and i love my mac i just figure i might want a laptop for college... any suggestions would be great thanks :)

Since its the second HD, are you sure it isn't something else causing the HDs to fail?

Good laptops for college come relatively cheaply now. It shouldn't take you long to save for one.

Although, Macs are still more expensive than their PC counterparts.

make good paperweights:)

Its been 10 years since I have burned up a HD heh, and I have a couple 10 year old hardd rives in my old computer still kickin'! I have lost boot sectors but never lost a whole HD. Do you have to still buy Mac HDs or will any work? That was one thing I used to hate about Mac back in the day.

A good laptop can be purchased for under $300 now.

Unless of course you prefer to pay for more style, less function and hard drives that burn out you can get another iFruit for $1000?

But hey, it is up to you... :p

Just saying... I've had some of the highest end laptops made, Alienware, Dell Precisions, etc. The new Macbook pro is the best laptop I've ever used! Sure, my laptop doesn't require a 30 amp circuit for power, or sound/smell like a hair dryer, but boy is it sexy! Once you go Mac, you never go back.

seriously though. mac books are nice. you really can't knock one if you have played on one.

i wish i had the duckets for a mac book.

A good laptop can be purchased for under $300 now.

i don't know about good. how about functional?

Last edited:
Macs do look nice... but they are expensive...

Get a netbook.

I use one for all of my school work and it is awesome.

The battery in mine lasts 7 hours on a charge which means I don't have to bother finding an outlet to sit next to or have to worry about how long I can take notes until it dies if I can't find an outlet. Also, it doesn't have a CD drive... which is a good thing. That means I can't put many games on it to distract me from school work (one of the real reasons I wanted a netbook), I have a gaming PC at home for that.

It's small so it doesn't kill my back when I'm carrying it in my backpack.

10" screen isn't too small and the keyboard on mine is 95% normal size so it doesn't feel awkwardly small.

Here are the newer versions of mine. They go for around $350. (What I paid for mine when it was new.)

Last edited:
I picked up a $298 laptop that works great and runs WoW and other games better than my old desktop. It only has a 160gb hard drive but that is still more than enough considering I still have a desktop on the shelf with 2 30gb drives hehe, sure my new desktop has 500 but I am not using anywhere near that. 2.4ghz processor and 3gb of ram seems pretty "good" to me and has an nvidia video chipset. Even has a number pad and a 15.6" screen.

Guess it depends on your definition of good, if you want the 30 amp 30 lb built for high end gaming laptop that you need a truck to carry around college then sure its gonna take a couple grand to buy but for school stuff and most general use including the occassional game I think there are plenty of really good $300 laptops out there. Besides I see plenty of college laptops working at a University and as beat up as they look after a couple years there is no way I would spend more than $500 for a "College Laptop" lol

Its worth mentioning 2 or 3 times as Odale commented on as well, remember to consider weight when looking at laptops/netbooks(although if its going to be your only computer I would go with a regular laptop) that you want to be lugging around campus, and battery life is really nice too, although at our University every room has ethernet and 110v outlets at every seat, they spent a ton of cash to make it convienent for the students.

Also as Odale said if you are going to be serious about your studies you may not want a top end gaming rig that you may get distracted with hehe.

First you can put any hard drive in.. we went to tigers direct and grabbed a 500gb one for like 80 bucks i think maybe a bit less last time.
Im not sure whats going on thats why i was like ehh we should wait to get anything. First it started going SUPER slow then i downloaded an update and it wouldnt boot... so we put in the mac disk and tried to verify disk and it kept having errors so we wiped the hard drive and downloaded leopard on it then tried to download snow leopard and it wouldnt download cause it said it didnt have leopard on it... We restarted it and POOF the hard drive wont show up anymore and yeah can't do anything now.

You're making my head hurt and at the same time making me feel so bad for you. Hate when comp problems arise. Miss you Gala :)

miss yall to :) and yeah i feel bad for my poor computer!
i do have a laptop that isnt the best it was just a cheap ol laptop that works but its not exactly anything behind i can surf the internet and type a paper lol

A good laptop can be purchased for under $300 now
laptops or glorified frisbees? you can buy a really great glorified frisbee masquerading as a laptop for $300 :p
unless it's a netbook. my netbook works great but you can't play vd games on it.

guess what :( my hard drive died AGAIN apparently!
I dont get it my dad and me have identical computers literally and this is the 2nd hard drive mine has gone through and my dads is perfectly fine.
They are like 4ish year old macs and it makes me sad :(.

SOO i wanted to get your guys opinion... should we get another hard drive orr get me a new desktop or a laptop. Im honestly leaning towards saving for a really nice laptop that ill be able to use for college but im not sure what laptops to look at and i love my mac i just figure i might want a laptop for college... any suggestions would be great thanks :)

you have a Mac thats why... lol

Sorry to hear your having Comp Problems

well we just got a wd sata 1trig (is that the abreviation?) and so far so good have everything loaded and its working soo thats all good.
Im pretty sure though that im getting a macbook for christmas for myself though! i have money that matures for school and is untaxable when used for educational stuff so i shall do that

and from what ive heard netbooks are decent but since you dont have a cd drive you need an extrernal for stuff like office and some other programs i want/need for school or id go that route. I am planning on downloading my dads computer bibles onto it so i can start doing more research. Im even starting to write (slowly, very slowly) a sermon or a lesson something along those lines.

Back