Why do you believe in God?

Dark Virtue

What is the logical basis for your belief in God?

You can't prove nor disprove His existence.

He exists outside the bounds of logic, reason and evidence.

He cannot be seen, touched, heard, tasted or smelled in any discernable fashion.

Yet without any proof or evidence of His existence, you believe in Him. Wholeheartedly.

The question is why? What caused you to believe?

PLEASE, before you reply, I ask that you keep your answers RATIONAL. Keep in mind that you are not offering answers to a fellow believer, but a Freethinker, one who relies on logic, reason, evidence and proof.

Thank you.

I believe it has much to do with the intangibles.. The feeling of 'god's presence' in your 'soul.' I felt this when I had faith, but then it could just as easily be explained by some other source of comfort, for instance, the feeling of kinship and security that one gets from being in a church community. This can happen completely exclusive from god.

Byblos, if you're not going to answer the question at hand or take this thread seriously, I would kindly ask that you not participate.

I ask you the same question with a flipturn, why do you deny God's exsistence.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Romans 1:20

For since creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead so that they are without excuse.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Penguin Slayer @ Oct. 18 2004,12:28)]I ask you the same question with a flipturn, why do you deny God's exsistence.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Romans 1:20

For since creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead so that they are without excuse.
I have already answered this question numerous times in various threads. Do you really need me to answer it again?

I love Romans 1:20.

CLEARLY SEEN. RIIIIGHT. If that were the case, why are so many people so blind to it? If it was clearly seen, why do we need Faith to see it? Why can it not be seen with the naked eye and subject to reason and logic?

If it is clearly seen and you have seen it, please describe it to me because I am obviously missing something.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Penguin Slayer @ Oct. 18 2004,12:35)]The question can be answered many ways, but mainly because of my parents instilled this in me as a child.
If the question can be answered many ways, why did you choose to answer it the way you did?

As Mr. Bill asserted, if you had been born in another country, say one that wasn't predominately Christian, would you still be a Christian? Most probably not. If you had been raised Hindu, would you not attest to the authenticity and correctness of Hinduism?

I beleive in God, whole heartedly for many reasons.

I can not see him with my physical eyes. This is true. And I can not see the wind either. But just as I see the wind interact with objects, I see God interact with his creation as well.

Sometimes, he interacts in ways that are predictable and easily explained away with reason. But it is the impossible interactions that convince me.

What would happen if you saw a tree bent over as if a gail force wind was pushing on it and yet there was no wind? I have many instances in which God has interacted with me by which no logical or reasonable explaination could be found to explain it. Nothing. Yet these happenings are meant only to convince me that God is real, not you, not my wife, not my son, not my pastor, not anybody here. And those experiences, I keep close to me and keep my own council on. Even though I may share a general experience, I will not share the specific details. So, you will never know why specifically, because I will not share it with anybody and not everybody will understand it, not even fellow Christians.

While some people rely on logic to explain things, somethings can't be explained by logic at all. Some things, like a tree being affected as if it were in a gail force wind without any wind at all, have indeed happened in my life, I know it so. So looking at your Mark Twain quote, I wonder how it fits?

If my faith in God is based on things that have truly and honestly happened, then is my faith in something I know ain't so?

I choose to answer it that way because it is the most accurate. As for if I had been born Hindu, then you are correct I would most likely attest to the Hindu Religion, I merely lucky enough to have been born into a Christian family. (I am most likely going to start many many arguments with this statement) I have in my studies of other religions noticed where they break down, and have not found out where Christianity is incorrect (most likely because it never is).

Thank you for sharing Peon.

I only have one question.

If God grants you these little miracles to help you believe, why doesn't He do it for everyone?

Don't you think a little miracle like that would sway the nonbelievers who are seeking Him?

Some many take "miracles" for granted. Like someone can narrowly avoid a car accident that would have killed them, and the merely call it luck. I also have a question for you. Why do you believe in thought? You can hear, see, smell, taste, or touch it, nor is there any evidence that it is there?

Thought? Brain functions are electrical impulses. Brain Function IS observable, that's why we have CAT scans.

I also don't agree with Peon saying that he can't see the wind. Wind is observable by senses other than sight (touch for instance). Besides, have you ever seen a tornado or hurricane? THAT is wind.

Just for the record, CONSCIOUS is defined as perceiving, apprehending, or noticing with a degree of controlled thought or observation. Hence, brain function.

HOWEVER, I think you meant CONSCIENCE, which is defined as the sense or consciousness of the moral goodness or blameworthiness of one's own conduct, intentions, or character together with a feeling of obligation to do right or be good. This is an issue of morality. Morals aren't physical, but their effects are quite discernable.

I'm not sure where you're going here, so I suggest you be specific.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 18 2004,1:54)]Thank you for sharing Peon.

I only have one question.

If God grants you these little miracles to help you believe, why doesn't He do it for everyone?

Don't you think a little miracle like that would sway the nonbelievers who are seeking Him?
God grants everybody little miracles. But some people are preoccupied by logic and reason that they miss them. You can't fool God. You can't in one sentance say that you are looking for God and in the next try and argue that everything must be logical. That is so, Vulcan.

Gods plan isn't written out in triplicate, so nobody can say for sure if happening is a miracle or not. Take for example somebody who is in dire financial straits and is a non-believer as well. Lets also say that they win the lottery and win $50,000. Exactly, if not a little bit more then, the amount they need to get back on the financial track. Could this not be a miracle for this person, but, using logic and reason, they chalk it up to chance.

Some time ago, I posted a little joke about the guy who was stranded on an island and refused all help because he was waiting for God to help him. How many everyday happenings are miraculous but missed because of our own egos?

How many times in our lives has the right person been there when we need them? The bank manager that was willing to overlook some bad credit so we could get the house mortgage, or the stranger on the bus who sat beside you and was willing to listen to your crappy day.

Faith involves letting go of who or what you think you are. It is a willingness to see things in a different light, even if it is against all logic and reason.

Its a Wonderful life, the movie. Excellent little movie that shows how many things we take for granted could well have been set up for our benefit. But because of our self-centeredness, we choose to ignore it, or chalk it up to bad luck or that there must be a logical reason behind everything.

Some people keep expecting the big finger of God in their lives but miss all the little "toes" so to speak.

---

Back