Who would have thought that piano playing could be so hard?

Surprise! 11 pages of epic beauty is mine to learn (for the next few years).
Un Sospiro, the famous Liszt piece.
I thought it was all one pretty jumble of arpeggio spam, which I figured would be relatively easy.
And I knew that my hands would be crossing over each other to play the melody.
But I didn't know it was 11 pages long! I also didn't know that the arpeggios were that difficult xD

So far I've got the first 2 and a half pages learned (and memorized), as well as the first of 2 rather difficult cadenza sections... However, only the first page is at about performance level.

Such pain!

My piano teacher wants both cadenzas learned by the next lesson (Thursday the 26th), so I have some work to do.
Not to mention that I also have to practice a duet piece, Dvorak's Slavonic Dances opus 46 no. 7, even though my duet partner is not here for the next week (she's vacationing in France for spring break).

But regardless of the difficulty, it's SO FUN. And the music is beautiful/awesome.

Stick with it!

I wish I had learned to play the piano when I was younger. :(

Liszt does have the reputation of the hardest piano music EVER.

And, the credit goes to me. I knew that learning to play the piano could be that hard.

<I miss playing, although does sound like you are much more awesome at playing than I was. Keep going!>

<If you heard me try to play the Liszt you would probably change your mind.>
I'm going to practice the Liszt every day this week... Except Wednesday and Thursday, since I'll be out of town and beyond the reach of a piano. xD

Interesting.

Well I now have 3.25 pages (three pages and one of four lines on the 4th page) by memory, but still not worth playing for an audience. (Just because I know what notes to hit doesn't mean I can hit them all and most of it is way under tempo.)

Last edited:
My wife is a Music/chorus teacher and a band director. She also gives private piano lessons. I told her what you posted you were playing (About all I know on pianos is how to tune them) and she was impressed that you are coming along quickly with it. She said it is difficult.

Back