Where'd your name come from?

tjguitarz

Hey all,

I was wondering how you came up with your log-in/screen name. Funny stories are appreciated!

Mine is lame. TJ = first 2 initials. Guitar = my instrument. And the Z is just there because my dad suggested it.

As for the guitar, I own two Ibenezs. They're beautiful although badly in need of tune ups. One is electric (about 8.5 years old, same time I started playing), and the other is a beautiful, sweet-smelling accoustic. That one is about 3.5 years old. I mostly play classical music. Unfortunately, I'm not as good of a player as I should be, as my first guitar teacher taught me nothing but how to play. My second started teaching me theory, but he wasn't any fun. My third was great but had to quit because of hectic schedule. I plan on starting back up sometime soon, but this time teaching myself.

Neirai the Forgiven... it's a very straightforward story.

Neirai is the name of my main WoW character. The Forgiven is the guild I am in.

Neirai, incidentally, means "Brother" in a language I've never heard of that is spoken by a people group I've never heard of on some island I've never heard of.

/me wonders how many times we've had this thread appear

Maybe I should dig up all the threads on this subject and combine it into one volume... an encyclopedia, if you will. :p

ChickenSoup is my soccer nickname.

C$, the initials used instead of CS, came from ccgr.org when people confused me with another user. Then someone called me Souphead (here it's Soup boy)

so... yeah.

/me wonders how many times we've had this thread appear

Maybe I should dig up all the threads on this subject and combine it into one volume... an encyclopedia, if you will. :p

This thread has happen before, and I'll find it for you, SirThom, since I don't want to repeat myself, again.

http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2628&highlight=starfox

Couldn't find the actual link, but I'm sure you could find it easier now.

Corp.fox said:
Its always cool to know how people got their handles, to see where was their inspiration.

Mine was of 3 (yes yes, toj'ers only):

1] When I was learning WWII in History, I saw a cool thing, there was a Canadian Corporal that died from a machine-gun nest, it said, that Corporal was the last Canadian in WWII, which is very heroic.

2] Knickerbockers kinda knew it, I could not think of a good animal and since I'd always play StarFox/ StarFox 64, well, Fox seem reasonable.

3] I like the ranking system, but I didnt want to be too high or too low, Admiral and Commander was too high, I'm not a leader anyways, and Private was too low. I played Starcraft for a while, and saw the Firebat had Corporal as rank, it was higher than a Private and lower than a Commander, so Corporal looked reasonable.

In short, Corp_fox, Corpfox, *Corp.fox*, Cpl.Fox, Corporal.Fox, etc.

Last edited:
Old cs clan with me and a couple friends, ->G<- for "gravity" there was liquid, zero, and digital. and then me. it's lame but whatever, it's how we found each other in gamespy

The very first gaming handle I used in online/multi-player gaming was Apocalypse, then I got lazy and shortened it to Apoc, then I got tired of people stealing MY name so I added 'the' to the front of it. I got the name from the comic book character Apocalypse. What a boring story... hehe.

Huh. How 'bout that! I thought all the old threads wre deleted in the Massacre of December '06. Oh well, I guess this thread is officially dead!

Well, before it does die, I might as well add another entry.

I chose my username "Lazarus" because of an innate ability to die and then be revived three days later...

Back in 1992 an excellent PC game named Hexxagon was released for DOS. The AI opponent was named "craniac" and came in three difficulties. It was the first game I was ever addicted to playing, so I took my name from the only named character in it. I changed the first letter to a K because the symmetry of beginning and ending with a c bothered me a little bit, and because it's easier to type because k is on the home row.

Landslide is the name I use to play UT because the leader of LOB, Pete, had a really hard time pronouncing my name with his Brooklyn accent. When I started hanging around the LOB teamspeak server, I thought that a name that wasn't difficult to pronounce would improve my chances of being invited into the clan (must've worked :D). Landslide is the stage name of musician Tim Land, who is signed to the UK label Hospital Records.

I write music using the stage name Shazbot, which comes from Tribes 2 (the first FPS I was any good at), and, prior to that, from the beloved Robin Williams sitcom Mork and Mindy.

Last edited:
The only problem with the old threads is that Tek has still not told us what his two names mean.....some of us have even humoured everyone and added to each post....I think I won't for the time being...... sooooo bump bump bump Tek tell us already we've been waiting years for the answers.
Blessings,"Angel"

The only problem with the old threads is that Tek has still not told us what his two names mean.....some of us have even humoured everyone and added to each post....I think I won't for the time being...... sooooo bump bump bump Tek tell us already we've been waiting years for the answers.
And while I hate to build suspense to critical mass, I'm afraid that I must wait at least a week longer to post the story behind my alias. I head out for my vacation Sunday morning and there's still a great deal to be done before then (like filing taxes, ew).

From the Taoteching...
Can you hold fast your crescent soul and not let it wander?
Can you make your breath as soft as a baby's?
Can you wipe your Dark Mirror free of dust?
Can you love people and lead them without imposing your will?
Can you serve and govern without effort?
Can you be the female at Heaven's Gate?
Can you light up the world without knowledge?
Beget things and keep them
But beget without possessing
Keep without controlling
This is Dark Virtue
---
The Way begets them
Virtue keeps them
Matter shapes them
Usage completes them
Thus do all things honour the Way and glorify Virtue
The honour of the Way
The glory of Virtue and not conferred but always so
The Way begets and keeps them
Cultivates and trains them
Steadies and adjusts them
Nurtures and protects them
But begets without possessing
Acts without presuming
And cultivates without controlling
This is called Dark Virtue

There's your enlightenment for the day :)

Back