Whats Starcraft 2 DRM gonna be like?

Caleb

Do you know what the Starcraft 2 DRM is gonna be like? Is it
a online only DRM or will there be Offline mode in Starcraft 2
and will I be able to save offline?

As I understand it there will be a 'guest' account you can play offline, but the majority of the time you will have to play online. As far as I know, the guest account is not connected to any profile, so you would not be able to save offline.

Unfortunately, Blizzard has been pretty vague about what offline mode will be like, so I don't have a lot of information for you, sorry.

I would have already pre-ordered StarCraft II except (1) Activision Blizzard set the price at $59.99 USD and (2) there has been no clear and confirmed word on DRM.

I've been waiting 12 years for SC2 and it seems like Activision Blizzard's businesspeople are doing everything in their power to make me re-think spending the $50 I'd set aside for StarCraft II back in 2007.

I've been waiting 12 years for SC2...

Well, your pretty insane to have beaten the Single Player Campaign for SC1 and BW then wait for SC2 and stop playing SC1/BW at the same time.

Sure, I've done the same as you have but I keep playing BW since it released.

Of course, I will stop playing BW when SC2 arrives/released but thats still 2 months away. ;)

And I've almost reach my goal; 735 hours.

265 hours to go. :D

Last edited:
Well, your pretty insane to have beaten the Single Player Campaign for SC1 and BW then wait for SC2 and stop playing SC1/BW at the same time.
I didn't stop playing Brood War while waiting for SC2. :p

I meant that it's been 12 years since StarCraft 1 was released and I've been looking forward to a sequel since then.

I've been waiting 12 years for SC2 and it seems like Activision Blizzard's businesspeople are doing everything in their power to make me re-think spending the $50 I'd set aside for StarCraft II back in 2007.

Rethink the $50, spend the $100 on the CE.

Irony. I detects it.

As for DRM, I believe Activision will release the game with four maps and charge 15 bucks for two SC1 maps and three new maps a month after launch. It's a solid business plan to me.

Add to that if you don't buy the add-on maps, you'll get dropped often from games when the map rotates to a paid map.

I'll start off by saying I haven't heard any outright complaining. Good on you guys.

I have heard a bit of sarcasm though. What's up with that?
Look... Activision is an evil company. Why are you buying their products anyway? There's zillions of non-evil developers out there making fun games.

hmm... there appears to be an inkling of intelligence somewhere....

http://www.videogamer.com/news/blizzard_drm_a_losing_battle.html
Lack of invasive DRM: Good.

Lack of LAN: Bad.

Leaving players no "official" alternative to Battle.net to play online: Based on prior experience, very very bad.

I'm certainly not advocating EULA violations, but there's a reason people with legitimate copies left Battle.net in droves for private bnetd and FSGS servers. Anyone who's ever tried to play a game of StarCraft online with more than 4 players knows what I mean.

"Look... Activision is an evil company. Why are you buying their products anyway? There's zillions of non-evil developers out there making fun games"

Curious as to what makes them "evil"?

Back