What to rent?

tjguitarz

I have myself a Blockbuster gift card. I want to rent either an xbox 360 or Wii game. I am looking for an amazing plot, good gameplay, a campaign mode longer than 5 hours. I am NOT looking for multiplayer. I repeat, I do NOT care about multiplayer.

I pondered Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Dead Space, GTA 4, and Metroid Prime 3, but I'd like your opinion. In your replies, I'd like to see what games you'd recommend, why, and how long the campaign mode was.

Games I like: Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Halo: CE, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, KOTOR, Call of Duty 4, Fable, Gears of War 1, F.E.A.R.

Games I do NOT like: Call of Duty: World at War, Halo 2 and 3 (shallow campaign experiences), Super Mario Galaxy, Rainbow Six: Vegas

Last edited:
out of all the games I got for xmas I keep bouncing between Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey, both are "out of this world" good!

Technically, their sequels would be better to play, the ones you've named already.

You might also check out, F.E.A.R. 2.

I played the demo through Steam and its scarier than the first.

The Visuals were very cool but I was running on Minimum.

The Mech fight was very cool and the physical interactions with Alma scared me so much!

One point during the demo, Alma literally grabs my arm and I try to shake her off. :eek:

I would... rent Fable 2. I've heard it's incredible.

I'm contemplating it, but I heard the plot is weaksauce, and the best way to get into the game is to do all the side quests. This is just a rental, and I only have 5-10 hours to spare, if even that much.

Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey

I'm contemplating purchasing mass effect. I've heard it was great by soooo many people. I heard they're coming out with a $20 bundle with their DLC later this year. I may drop the cash if I feel so inclined. I will do research on Lost Odyssey right now.

EDIT: Regarding Lost Odyssey... me + turn based games = digestive problems.

You might also check out, F.E.A.R. 2.

I've already decided to rent that one! I have enough for 2 rentals. I loved F.E.A.R. 1. It was amazing. I'm stoked for F.E.A.R. 2.

I can't dance. I can't dance. And I will revolt if anyone mentions dancing again! AHHHHHHHH!

Last edited:
Out of that list, I would say GoW2 hands down.

Worse 60 dollar purchase I've made, but hear me out. The campaign was a total blast with my brother, but even with the language toned down, some S- and B-words still slipped through. It's a thrill ride and it's easy to get into. Horde mode is a blast when you finish the main story (about 15'ish hours total depending on the difficulty) aaand yeah. It's fun, engaging, varied, and has some cool vehicle levels. But in the long run, like, after 2 play throughs, it gets extremely stale for some reason. It makes a great rental IMHO since it is like a blockbuster movie, but for the other choices, GTA4 will take a long time to play through, but has more content to sift through. And as for Mass Effect, I have it on the PC, and yeah, it is incredible, but you're gonna take awhile to play through it (25 hours maybe? With some sidequests.)

Mass Effect would make a great buy, at least for me. I've seen it ranging from $9.99 to $19.99 new where I live so I would definitely look into that before renting it, at least, it would cost me $1 before tax at that rate for a purchase more than renting. Just an idea. Also, not sure if you have Meijer stores where you are, but GTA4 has been at $25 retail at their stores in my area.

Back