What to do at level 50 and preparing for raiding

tomfoolery_79

Hello fellow guild members. I'm pretty excited to do the Greenscale raid. I prefer to do these activities with guildies. Many of us are starting to hit 50. It's mostly difficult to run T1/T2's with guild members only (nigh impossible right now). Some of us are casual players, but some of us want to do this end game content (healers I'm looking at you!). I soloed almost the entire game to lvl 50 so I learned a lot and I learned a lot of things wrong or late.

Steps to take now to get ready...

Step 1: KNOW YOUR CLASS - This at first sounds obvious, but I played for about 3 weeks at lvl 50 as a Saboteur doing sub-par DPS. I had another rogue show me a proper rogue DPS build and it doubled, yes *doubled* my DPS. I was blown away!!! (no pun intended) Alternately, I had my bard role pretty down pat, but I still got some good tips to tweak it that much better.

Step 2: GET GEARED UP - Do the daily T1/T2 quests. You will double the amount of plaques you get for epic gear. Again, I played for probably 2 weeks not even knowing there were dailies to do and I missed out on a TON of plaques. Also scan the Auction House, although expensive, sometimes a quality piece of gear can be well worth the cost. Besides, BoE's from T2 find there way to the AH. PUT RUNES ON...runes are all over the AH and are not that expensive given the stats they provide. Every piece of armor that can have a rune should.

Step 3: DO PUG's - PUG's (Pick-up public groups). This is really all I've done to this point. Groups are quick and easy to find (easier after 1.2). Sure you may get the occassional bad group however I can honestly say almost all PUG's I've been in have been very good and mostly mature people. More importantly, these are people that can teach you the fights. Fights aren't hard, but if you don't know them they are.

Step 4: ADD FRIENDS - this is truly invaluable. Following step 3 if you get a good tank or healer or DPS, etc in your group and they seem nice, add them to the friends list. Then say hi and ask how they are every once in awhile. These relationships for me have been priceless. Step 4a: Use lvl 50 chat. Most people are sarcastic, but if you have an honest question you will get an answer.

Step 5: Teamspeak - again this is invaluable. It's easily worth $25 to get a headset and join us. Many of us have become good friends on TS. We can more easily help on TS and when we do PVP or Dungeons we will need this tool. Plus I miss you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the tips. I am 48 now and should be 50 soon (by weekend?). I love doing raids and dungeons with guildies however it seems my play time is generally to late for most. I am on usually between 9pm-12am PST. If I know there are scheduled times that we as a guild run dungeons or raids I will try to make them.

Regarding your post tomfoolery here are some things in response:

1. KNOW YOUR CLASS: I have mostly been running Inq/warden for dps and Ward/Sent for heals. I am really liking my heal build. I got inspired by a Rift forum post about a BG where 10 people speced as Warden's and no one could kill the shard holder due to all the stacking heals.

2. GET GEARED UP: I know T1 means tier one, but what in Rift is a T1 dungeon and what is a T2. Isn't T2 just a T1 on expert? Is it possible to do the dailies solo? Do I have to wait till 50 or do they start earlier?

5. TEAMSPEAK: I have TS and a headphone/mic set. However I am not always on TS. If in a raid/ dungeon I will try to be on TS, but generally I am not so that I can hear my family while I game.

Thanks Tomfoolery for your help

John

You need to be running Chalmer's Caldera and Abyssal Precipice right now Xalepos. To answer your question though...every dungeon in the game has an expert level difficulty version that you can only do at lvl 50. Without listing them the easiest way to split them is that up to lvl 40 dungeons you experience are T1's. Runic Descent (lvl 40) and up are T2's. Hope that makes sense, if not do a google search for the list. With that being said the only exception is Latern Hook which is T1 (and the easiest).

Great advice! Thanks for posting this.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/rift-junkie-guides/dungeon-guides/

here is guides to what is 50/t1/t2 etc with loot tables and guides.

Dungeon-Key.jpg

Last edited:
Hm. I knew it would happen, but I hoped it would be so fast. I hate having to have a min-max cookie-cutter build. I really hoped that I would be able to play a 3-soul setup in a way that suits my play style and habits. *sigh*

Why do you think that is the case Durrick? I only know warrior specs, but I used quite a few different play styles up to 50 and even now as 50 I see people using lots of different specs. I have quite different setups for Tanking, DPS PvE, PvP group and, PvP solo.

Last edited:
I had another rogue show me a proper rogue DPS build

This is why. I know that Cheribum didn't intend for it to come across that way, but if people are already parsing logs and pulling DPS data to share, it's just a matter of time before it comes to comments about improper builds in raiding... or generalized L2P trolling.

This is why. I know that Cheribum didn't intend for it to come across that way, but if people are already parsing logs and pulling DPS data to share, it's just a matter of time before it comes to comments about improper builds in raiding... or generalized L2P trolling.

Well at the end of the day, play what you like and what is fun. Honestly, whether I'm throwing bombs or throwing arrows I'm having just as much fun. I'm definitely having more fun with 100% increase in DPS. Trion has suggested build types also that you can go with or choose to ignore. I can tell you though that whatever you want to play you have to carry your own wait in a group or else at best you won't be asked to group again and at worst get kicked. Knowing that I'm significantly contributing to an end goal is very important to me...more so than "fun" factor. On a side note, my bard is epic and has very low DPS, but is fun to play and contributes a lot to any group.

Back