What the world think of America

wow.gif
We > Politics.... Whats in a country

Well what amazes me is how all the other countries are good at tearing down America, but who is the only country that runs to help everybody else when they are in trouble?
rock.gif
 And where were these countries on 9/11
rock.gif
 Did they come here to help us out???  

Granted, America needs a lot of fixing, and the morals in this country have gone to pot.  But that is where the prayers of faithful Christians come in.  We are just as guilty as the non-Christians for the morals in this country.  

We sit back and complain about what is going on, but what do we do to stand up for God?!?  I think it's time that we as Christians take some stands against the evil in this country.  "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."  Luke 11:23 basically tells us that if we do nothing and just allow evil to rule, we are just as guilty as those who practice the evil.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well what amazes me is how all the other countries are good at tearing down America, but who is the only country that runs to help everybody else when they are in trouble?
rock.gif
And where were these countries on 9/11
rock.gif
Did they come here to help us out???
Well if you think we're the only country who ever helps others you're probably not watching or reading the news. (Either that or watching Fox news, which is pretty much the same thing). Pretty much all of western Europe, Japan, Canada, Australia for sure have given often, both monetary aid and aid through the UN, or their own militaries. In fact, although the US is without a doubt among the top for foreign monetary aid in terms of $$, we are one of the last among developed nations as giving foreign aid as a % of our overall GDP. Also, after 9/11 many people from different countries gave aid, even though we really only needed money. Don't fault most countries for not being as giving as we are, as the richest, we should be the most giving. Don't call them greedy for not sharing when they often don't have enough for themselves.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We sit back and complain about what is going on, but what do we do to stand up for God?!? I think it's time that we as Christians take some stands against the evil in this country. "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Luke 11:23 basically tells us that if we do nothing and just allow evil to rule, we are just as guilty as those who practice the evil.
As a non-Christian these types of statements really genuinely scare me. It sounds like you're calling for an inquisition.

The Inquisition believed that by causing the heretics to recant their heresy, rejoin the true faith, and then undergo the cleansing by fire, they were saving their immortal soul and guaranteeing them safe passage to heaven.

Supposedly done out of love...

Eon

hmm....and during the witch trials, they believed that if they threw a witch in water, she would float, so if any woman they threw in water that floated was guilty of being a witch.  if she drowned, then she wasn't.

and suicide bombers are told that if they blow themselves up, and hurting as many innocent bystanders as possible they'll get directly to heaven

There have been quite a number of ppl recently complaining on what a big killer religion(esp. Christiainity) is, While I know this is not the aspect of Eon's post (as he's just delivering commentary on what would be a wonderfully dismal failure on the Catholic Churches ability to love everyone, which that would be quite an interesting topic on the introduction of Constantine's fatalism into the Christian and Islamic religions, but anyways), his post made a good stepping point into a quick blurb about Deaths in religious wars (i.e. things like the Crusades and the Inquisition)

I'd like to share this quote from: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ReligiousWar
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It would be a shame to spoil all the bald assertions on this page with facts. Fortunately, I don't have any, either. [1] has some numbers, though, but of course, they're just guesses, too. Estimated death tolls look like this:
50,000,000 : Second World War
42,000,000 : Maoist China
40,000,000 : Mongol conquests
20,000,000 : Slave trade
20,000,000 : Taiping Rebellion
20,000,000 : Native American annihilation
20,000,000 : Stalinist Soviet Union
15,000,000 : First World War
 9,000,000 : Russian Civil War
 7,000,000 : Thirty Years War

The Napoleonic Wars come in at about 2,000,000. Several European wars killed around 1,000,000 each. The Crusades, witch hunts, and inquisitions, taking the largest numbers for each, were around 2,000,000. One estimate of the Chinese Civil War (755-781) is that the population declined by 33,000,000 people. (Oh, and the Black Death reduced the population of Europe by about 23,000,000 people between 1345 and 1400, according to [2]. Some estimate that 70,000,000 deaths in the Twentieth Century are attributable to tobacco.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ June 21 2003,9:06)]hmm....and during the witch trials, they believed that if they threw a witch in water, she would float, so if any woman they threw in water that floated was guilty of being a witch.  if she drowned, then she wasn't.
Brilliant logic there!

I know, VERY Pythonesque....

"So, if she weighs the same as a duck, then she must be made of wood, and therefore would also float in water! Thus proving she's a Witch."

Hey Kidan, hows about expressing those numbers as a percentage of total world population at the time?
smile.gif

Eon

hmm...that's an obscene amount of lookup I'd haveta do...dates for the wars, population estimates for those centuries...bleh...I've always hated statistics...

No worries, I was only being facetious anyway... <grin>

Eon

Back