What now?

Katnu

I guess I'm just not getting it. It seems like there is so much to learn and my character is just a basic E/Me with no special skills or anything. If I go into the Ascalon Arena, I get smoked right off the bat. I tried PvP the other night with Dorkelf's help (thank you so much Dorkelf), but I still feel like I didn't really learn much.

I'm getting frustrated because I don't understand a lot of the game. For instance, I have no idea what a build is or what makes it so important. Is it a set of quests that I do to gain special skills?

I'm stuck playing quests or missions with henchmen and having to split the gold with them. It's getting really boring.

I think I'm overwhelmed. :confused:

A 'build' is just a reference to what type of character you play. For example, a 'Minion Master' is a Necromancer build usually with a Monk secondary. You pretty much max out the Death Magic and Soul Reaping attributes and put the leftover in Healing. Then you equip skills that turn corpses into minions such as 'Animate Flesh Golem' and equip 'Blood of the Master' and/or 'Verata's Sacrifice' and/or 'Heal Area' to keep your minions healed. Essentially, a build is a proven combination of skills and attributes for a certain type of character profession.

Don't worry, you'll get it eventually. There are plenty of good people here who can help you in-game. I hope I didn't confuse you even more. :p

The good news is that the game doesn't really begin until level 20.

Don't bother with Ascalon Arena. That place is filled with people who get run to advanced areas of the game to pick up skills they should not have at level 10, so don't feel bad about getting smoked in there. It's not "cheating", but it's the closest thing to it.

Getting started in any MMO after it has been established is the very hardest part. Everyone has more money, more knowledge, and is seemingly leaps and bounds ahead of you in every way. I know that though I got FFXI on the release date, that because the Japanese had FFXI for about 1 1/2 years before it was released in North America, it took forever and a day to get enough money to be decently equipped for five levels ago. At least in GW you have the opportunity to quickly learn and gain a measure of equality.

Your "build" refers to the set of skills you carry. This will determine what role you play in a party. Rangers, for example, can be B/P, Touch, Interrupt, or Spike (among others), and each plays a different role. B/P stands for Barrage/Pet, which deals AoE (Area of Effect) damage with the pet tanking (taking damage for the group). Touch rangers load up on life-stealing touch skills to quickly take out enemies one on one. Interrupt rangers take several skills to prevent enemies from taking certain actions, while Spike rangers concentrate on doing damage in bursts.

Each "build" requires that you take a certain set of skills into battle with you. At your level and class, your ideal build would probably be a "nuker", someone who deals massive amounts of damage quickly. Concentrate on Fire Magic skills, and make that attribute as high as possible in your Hero screen. Fire Storm and Fireball are both good PvE (Player versus Enemy) skills to quickly dispatch groups.

Hope this helps!

PvP when you initially get into it can seem very frustrating, you get pwned several times, and you dont know what to run. PvP and PvE vary greatly because your fighting humans and not AI. Id reccomend playing with dredd a few times, put together a pvp character and go into a few battles with the guild, the best practice is to not assume but rather watch how other people play in pvp (press b to enter observation in town), and ask teammates about a situation in a way that doesnt get very annoying (a pm to a knowledgable person may be preferrable to a team chat in the instance of a very easy question).

Indeed.

Actually I would say the game begins when you go through the searing, but a completely different and much better game starts at level 20. It's just entirely different.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
The good news is that the game doesn't really begin until level 20.

Don't bother with Ascalon Arena. That place is filled with people who get run to advanced areas of the game to pick up skills they should not have at level 10, so don't feel bad about getting smoked in there. It's not "cheating", but it's the closest thing to it.

Getting started in any MMO after it has been established is the very hardest part. Everyone has more money, more knowledge, and is seemingly leaps and bounds ahead of you in every way. I know that though I got FFXI on the release date, that because the Japanese had FFXI for about 1 1/2 years before it was released in North America, it took forever and a day to get enough money to be decently equipped for five levels ago. At least in GW you have the opportunity to quickly learn and gain a measure of equality.

Your "build" refers to the set of skills you carry. This will determine what role you play in a party. Rangers, for example, can be B/P, Touch, Interrupt, or Spike (among others), and each plays a different role. B/P stands for Barrage/Pet, which deals AoE (Area of Effect) damage with the pet tanking (taking damage for the group). Touch rangers load up on life-stealing touch skills to quickly take out enemies one on one. Interrupt rangers take several skills to prevent enemies from taking certain actions, while Spike rangers concentrate on doing damage in bursts.

Each "build" requires that you take a certain set of skills into battle with you. At your level and class, your ideal build would probably be a "nuker", someone who deals massive amounts of damage quickly. Concentrate on Fire Magic skills, and make that attribute as high as possible in your Hero screen. Fire Storm and Fireball are both good PvE (Player versus Enemy) skills to quickly dispatch groups.

Hope this helps!

Uh Oh! One moment you're happy in low level PvE land and the next I drag you into the PvP arenas with a lvl 20 character and a completely new skill set! :rolleyes: But seriously, PvP is an 'advanced' playing format that is really more challenging and intense than most PvE. In my case it took a lot of getting used to even after completing the game in PvE. Some people despise it even after they get good at it. Others come to love it and recognize it (rightfully I think) as the pinnacle of gameplay in Guild Wars. In any case, if the more casual atmosphere of PvE is what you enjoy and want to stick to, then please feel free to do that. Trust me - you'll have plenty of company in this guild.

But - if you still do want to work on PvP in the not-so-intimidating Zaishen Challenge arena (I don't give up do I? :D ) here is a little more info on how to build the solo trapper I used when we played together. With this character and three henchies you can quickly and easily win 1,000 faction every day (used to buy new skills and upgrades for PvP characters only), while at the same time gaining experience with many of the important skills/spirits used by rangers:

http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14095&page=3

Paul

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone for your encouragement. I really needed it. *hug* The explainations on builds really cleared things up for me. I appreciate each of you that explained it to me, taking the time to do so.

Dorkelf, I enjoyed the time in PvP that we were in there. It was interesting and I can tell that it's something I will want to do later, as I get more aquainted with the game as a whole. It was a little overwhelming, but I know that in the future it will be nothing but fun.

MaidMirawyn, I read that guide and it's great! I'm going to work on it tomorrow. I'm still stuck at level 9, even though my goal was to be lvl 10 earlier in the week. I'm sure this will help me out and I'll learn more as I go along.

Thanks again for all of you giving me input. God bless each of you!!

I have an Ele and can help you when I am on sometime. I was an Air Ele but my Ele does a lot of fire now because you cannot get in groups if your anything but Fire lol. So I can help you come up with a decent build for what skills you have.

Andrew aka Dredd

Ask me or RubberDucky (by PM in forums, I always have my in-game whisper status set to Do-Not-Disturb because of the weirdos and sickos out there)
about ele builds any time! We both play E/whatever builds a LOT and have experience we are more than happy to share with another guild member. Granted, I don't play E/Me much, but the guide Maid showed you will be helpful, too. Also, PM me when you reach Kryta- my warrior runs people around there alot. Only difference here is that your trip (and any other guildies who want a run) would be free of charge :D

EDIT: A 'run' is where one player takes another player to some place they haven't been before, normally charging a fee, but hey I don't charge guild members :)

ChickenSoup said:
Ask me or RubberDucky (by PM in forums, I always have my in-game whisper status set to Do-Not-Disturb because of the weirdos and sickos out there)
about ele builds any time! We both play E/whatever builds a LOT and have experience we are more than happy to share with another guild member. Granted, I don't play E/Me much, but the guide Maid showed you will be helpful, too. Also, PM me when you reach Kryta- my warrior runs people around there alot. Only difference here is that your trip (and any other guildies who want a run) would be free of charge :D

EDIT: A 'run' is where one player takes another player to some place they haven't been before, normally charging a fee, but hey I don't charge guild members :)

Thanks, I was wondering what a "run" was.

I didn't get to play tonight as a family issue came up. I hope I get to try that guide that MaidMirawyn gave yesterday. I'm going camping this weekend and I hope I don't have withdrawals. LOL

Back