what languages do you speak and/or read?

Logos

I noticed several on here referring to studying or reading other languages so I thought it would be interesting to see the variety. I will go first I suppose. As for me I can read old testament hebrew and new testament greek and a little latin.

I'm going into my second year of Japanese this fall, my major focusing on Japanese Studies. I can read Hiragana/Katana, only know about 200 Kanji though which is still pretty hard to decipher depending on font. I have basic grammar/sentences down, can hold a small conversation, but still have tons to learn. It's a fun language, just a lot of work. :p

North American English, with an Appalachian dialect mixed with Yoopanese, which is often mistaken for an almost pure southern accent by those that hear me on Team Speak. Relearning Spanish. Took French, German, and New Testament Greek many, many long years ago.

Last edited:
Speak and write Canadian English, though I know a small amount of Canadian French as well, enough to sort of comprehend something if I'm paying close enough attention.

Speak and write Canadian English, though I know a small amount of Canadian French as well, enough to sort of comprehend something if I'm paying close enough attention.

Avoiding the oh so easy "eh" comment, what exactly is the different between Canadian English and American English? Is it about the same as the British/American difference, namely noun differences (torch/flashlight) or something else?

Eh? ;)

Avoiding the oh so easy "eh" comment, what exactly is the different between Canadian English and American English? Is it about the same as the British/American difference, namely noun differences (torch/flashlight) or something else?

Eh? ;)

Canada is a federal state that is governed as a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as its head of state.

So, Canada is half British and half French and use British spelling. Centre than Center.

However, I speak french "french". The basics but reasonable.

Know a few words in Cantonese, German, Japanese and Russian.

Last edited:

Well, the spelling differences fom American English that British English has are usually the same, except when it comes to nouns(especially nouns describing goods traded between America and Canada). In other words it is flashlight as opposed to torch, but still centre, fibre, litre, as opposed to center, fiber, quart (I had to throw in a joke about how you're one of 3 countries not to officially use the metric system after that "eh" joke).

I speak Canadian English, I prefer to write American English, and have started learning Japanese (but not enough to say I speak it.)

I can usually read Latin if the subject refers to theology. I can't write it. I learned this by accident around exam/paper times as a theology minor.

I studied Ancient Greek and Latin as my degree when I went to college and I can read those fairly well, though my skills are rusting pretty quickly. Now that I'm training to be a linguist in the Air Force I'm starting an intensive 64 week course in Arabic, so hopefully by the time I'm done with that I'll be fluent. Probably going to come back for another language if I decide to stick with this job long term.

Plain old American English, however, I hear allsa time that i have an accent. Yan-to know my native language? It's Pittsburghese, Furill, yinz! Do jano wah ats?? Jano, wah people in Pittsburgh Pensivania speak. hehe! (TRANSLATION: I hear all the time that I have an accent. You want to know my native language? It's Pittsburghese, For real, you all! Do you know what that is? You know, what people in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania speak.) :D

I can also understand a bit of everyday Spanish, can read some of it (write none of it), and speak even less. Know some Sign Language - enough to help someone out and communicate on a daily basis - use it mostly during Worship Songs. I guess I could "read" it too, if it were written.

@Patriot - ^5. Guess that means I know a little html. Used to speak COBAL but that is so rusty, it probably won't work anymore. lol

Zippy I also speak the ancient programming languages, some Cobol, a little Fortran, RPGII, and the good ol' Advanced Basic. And I might still be able to throw together a program in DEC Assembly language. And does ASCII count?

American English and troll/lol are the only languages I'm fluent in. I've had at least a little training in Koine Greek (anthropos tou Theou) and Biblical Hebrew (Boker tov!). I've also got a handful of programming languages tucked away somewhere up here in this noggin of mine (including C/C++/C#, Java, and PHP). A dear friend is moving to Germany soon, so I'm tryna pick up as much Deutch from (and for) her as I can (Guten Morgen, meine Dame). That's a bit slow going, though. I've also picked up hints of Japanese (Ohayou, San-san! [Where my Keero at?] ) and French (C'est la vie, mon ami. Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!). Mostly, I'm working on learning Spanish right now.

Yo no estudio espanol para las senoritas pero para lucha libre. Los luchadores se la cancion de mi corazon. Yo quiero estar un grande luchadore.

Or something. XD Herein lies the difficulty of learning from StudySpanish.com, Google Translate, and watching Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre on YouTube. >.>

Bottom line: I love languages. With proper training, I could probably be a linguist because learning them comes pretty naturally to me in a good environment. It's just not as easy to learn by myself as in a classroom or something.

Last edited:
Back