What kind of music ya'll like

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
i personally like country and for christian music i like the W's and bands like them.

post anything interesting

I like Contemporary Christian, and also groups like Audio Adrenaline, ThirdDay, NewsBoys, etc.

cool.gif

Hoo boy! I used to be REALLY into music. I've calmed down a bit over the last few years.

For the last several years, I mostly listen to Praise/Worship. My current favorites are Hillsongs, Matt Redman, and lots of the UK stuff. I just got a worship album by Eoghan Heaslip the other day, so I've been listening to that one.

Bands I've liked in the past have been mostly electronic music and progressive rock.

Tangerine Dream was my favorite band for several years. I think I have over 50 CDs, plus stuff on LP. And I haven't bought anything of theirs since about 1992 when they started going downhill. My other favorite electronic artists were Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis.

I really liked Yes a lot. Huge fan. As well as Genesis and Peter Gabriel.

Other big favorites were Level 42 and Enya.

My favorite albums are probably 'Duke' by Genesis and 'Passion' by Peter Gabriel.

My most recent favorite albums are the Lord of the Rings soundtracks. Howard Shore did a terrific job with these soundtracks. I can listen to them over and over again.

I really don't listen to much secular music anymore. I mostly concentrate on the worship stuff.

I like ApologetiX, Avalon, David Crowder, Newsboys, Third Day, Andy Hunter, so many good ones.

maybe becuase they arent a group and dont have anything interesting?? wow alot of good bands, keep postin poeple.

I mostly listen to Christian or rock.

Christian: Audio A, DC Talk (Jesus freak is the best), Third Day, Jars of clay, Sonic Flood, Steven Curtis Chapman.

Christian Heavy..

Living sacrifice, demon hunter, soul embraced, sixfeetdeep, nailed promise, mindrage, wyrick, circle of dust, tourniquet, ap2... etc..

Rizz, w00t :-). Tourniquet 0wns for intellectual/Christian metal. Disciple is another one of my favorites. Just starting to listen to Demon Hunter too, they seem pretty good :-).

Rock and Alternative.  I'm not too picky about bands, as long as they play the music I like, but notable ones for me are:

Metallica, POD, Treble Charger, Gob, Matthew Good, The Offspring, Blink 182, Nickleback, Linkin Park, etc.....

<span style='color:white'>DC Talk has some good songs: "Say The Words", "Luv Is A Verb", "My Will", "Colored People", "What If I Stumble", "Between You And Me", "Wanna Be Loved", "I Wish We'd All Been Ready". They're still cool!
cool.gif
</span>

Is Christian even a legitimate genre? or should it be divided into stuff like "worship" and "christian rock" and etc.?

Me? Switchfoot, U2, Cadet, Heather Clark, Anti-Flag, Old-school Metallica, and stuff...

re: DCT...I'll give 'em props, although I kind of lost interest in them after Jesus Freak (which I guess doesn't say much as they only put out one more album after JF), and I haven't had much interest in their solo projects. However, like I said, I give 'em props because I was totally into their music through out junior high/high school, and I credit them for turning me on to other christian hip hop artists from the early 90's (PID, ETW, Grits and another band that slips my mind right now - at the time I didn't know it, but they were kind of doing the "sonic assault via tough beats and sample collage/sound clash" thing, a la Public Enemy). They also helped pave the way into the secular market for other christian artists. (see the success of their single "Between you and me") As far as I'm concerned, DCT are one of the founding members of popular christian music as we know it today.

I have to admit though that I don't listen to much of the current crop of Christian music artists, mainly 'cuz they don't really catter to my taste in music. The current exception is Andy Hunter, which I posted about here. I also follow MxPx and Fan Mail.

K, enough about the past, what am I into now? I'm into all kinds of music, but as far as what I spend my time listening to and put my money towards, I'd have to list off funky/deep house, funky breaks, progressive house, the occasional trance tune, and a smattering of rock, hip hop, soul/funk and down tempo/chill out beats. Being a dj, I pick up practically all my music on vinyl with a few CDs every once in awhile. Listing specific artists won't do much good, but if you're that interested, mail me (or just respond here) and I can point you towards some albums/artists in specific genres.

BTW, for anybody who knows, is Scott Blackwell still around? I never really liked his brand of christian dance music, but I have to credit him for paving the way for everybody else who has come since then. Just wondering if he's still producing and what he's doing.

Also, if you're intersted in what the current state of christian music is (or at least one person's opinion on such), check out this article. It's a pretty good read.

Cheers,
Shagz

PS - CCGR...I noticed Andy Hunter in your list as well; how long have you been following him?

Yes. In regards to a post awhile ago, I like DC Talk. Or at least used to. Like Shagz, I sort of stopped listening after Jesus Freak. That album had some good beats and was extremely well produced. It was just an all around well done album.

Regarding Scott Blackwell, I don't know if he's still doing much. I didn't care for much of his stuff either. Although the first two tracks off "The Real Thing" are very good. I also enjoyed several of his remixes for other artists. I think he's got a good ear and certainly knows the industry quite well, but a lot of his stuff was too poppy for me.

Almost all christian heavy and some Iron Maiden songs.. I've got that from the FragorDie movie and it's pretty good i think.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is Christian even a legitimate genre? or should it be divided into stuff like "worship" and "christian rock" and etc.?

Whether they are christian or not is totalyl seperate from teh genre.. There are christian and non-christian bands in all genres.. Unfortunately there are also lots of "christian" bands in rock music that arent christian...(creed,evenescence..etc..)

oh dont argue with that cos i only say that after reading articles posted by the band members themselves.. even though it saddens me that an ex living sacrifice member would cuss in an mtv interview when asked about christian connections...link

I heard the new metallica album has poor recording (and after hearing the single i agree) but watching them at rock am ring (on mtv2) the new songs sound superb live..
I grew up with Metallica.. me not listening to secular music is being tested alot with the new release
wow.gif

DCtalk are cool.. if not a little cheesy...

Iron maiden... ruuunnn to thee hiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllsssssssssssssssssssss ahh

Back