What is your favorite Christian band of all time AND WHY?

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
I've been listening to the new Newsboys "Go" cd and I like I a lot! Any song lyric that goes "The treetop squirrels smile and wave" is a KEEPER :p For me the top Christian bands have always been D.C. Talk and Newsboys. Yes, yes I know there are some weirdoes out there who have other groups as their favorites :eek: (I'm kidding :p I am not a weirdo I am a Jesus Freak hehe.) So everybody what is your favorite Christian band of all time AND WHY? (I listed 2 groups only because I could not decide between them :D but please Christian groups only ;) )

Wow, you went a little overboard on the smileys!! Just kidding, enthusiasm is good.

Anyways, I actually have 3. Pillar, Thousand Foot Krutch, and Skillet. If I was held at gunpoint, I'd say TFK is my favorite. Pillar used to be, but their new CD didn't 'wow' me like their others did. Skillet is also way up their. I never liked their old stuff, but Collide was t3h PWNage.

So that does it for the rock section. As for rap/hip-hop, I've got to go with Grits. I thoroughly enjoy 99% of their tracks. LeCrae is good, but 'After the Music Stops' (second album) wasn't as good as (first album) 'Real Talk.' And of course, we can't forget KJ-52. I like his newer stuff.

i dont like christian music actually. most of the time the vocalists are not very good and the lyrics seem more "christian themed" then christians. if im to listen to christian music it useally has to be worship, even then i just cant stand some bands. the only christian cd i own is newsboys worship collection.

Gah! It's very hard for me to pick just one band that I like, so I'll sort of pick the ones that I like most from certain genres.

Ska - Five Iron Frenzy (probably my overall favorite too)
Punk - It's a toss up between Calibretto (the 13 stuff is their best), Blaster The Rocketman, and Ballydowse
Pop Punk - MXPX with Ghoti Hook trailing fairly closely behind
Rock - once again, it's a hard choice, but I think Stavesacre just beats out Disciple and Project 86
Power Metal - Theocracy (I would have probably put Blind Guardian here if this wasn't limited to Christian music)
Death Metal - Extol (Undeceived owns)
Black Metal - Lengsel
Gothic - Saviour Machine (I guess they're technically not Gothic, but to people who don't listen to Gothic music they are)
Metalcore - EDIT: Actually, I kinda like Training For Utopia a little better than Zao
Hardcore - EDIT: I totally forgot about Hit The Deck, I like them lots better than No Innocent Victim
Indie - Havalina Rail Co. with Soul-Junk coming in close second (though they could fit under rap just as easily)
Rap - Mars Ill

That about covers it, I won't say why because that would take forever and be extremely boring for most people on here to read (most of you don't even know these bands anyway).

Last edited:
hmm probably my favorite band with or without the Christian band label would be Symphony in Peril (sadly, they're not around anymore :-()

I loved them before I knew they were a Christian band, and the fact that they blew my speakers makes me even happier

Also quite fond of Sinai Beach, and Bloodlined Calligraphy

Also, any of the Ben Harper's gospel music is good to me, his album with the Alabama Blind Boys Choir is good

oooooooh!

I am going to have to find time to listen to clips of the bands you guys listen to on Amazon :cool:

I don't like Christian music actually. Most of the time the vocalists are not very good and the lyrics seem more "Christian themed" then Christians. If I'm to listen to Christian music it usually has to be worship, even then I just cant stand some bands.

I understand dude. Just like any genre Christian music certainly has it's share of lemons. I cannot stand the "Christmas Shoes Song". Nothing wrong with people who like it I just cannot understand why they do. I limited the discussion to Christian music because to me the best music has both a good sound and a good meaning behind it (like Faith and Works :) ). I actually like some other Christian bands too but they don't fulfill both roles to me (actually my very top CD is a secular one because of sentimental reasons but I digress). Anyway aren't there any Newsboys or D.C. Talk fans in the forums or has anyone listened to the new "Go" cd :confused: ? It's not as good lyrically as perhaps "Take me to your Leader" but they just keep getting even better musically (except Love Liberty Disco which I shall not mention :p ).

The only Christian cd I own is newsboys worship collection.
The only worship CDs I own are the newsboys ones. If you do like the worship CDs Adoration/Devotion (cool if you don't) you may like "Go" as with the Newsboys the difference is pretty small (umm "Go" has comedy???).

And because you asked for it more SMILIES!!!! YAY!
:p :p :p....the forums are limited to 8 smilies, now Gerbil sad :(

If you're looking up any of the ones I posted, turn your headphones DOWN unless you like teh LOUD...other than the Ben Harper. I'm just quite fond of the Christian metal scene in general. Most of the bands around right now are GREAT and it's interesting to me at shows to see all these kids that have NO idea they're headbanging and moshing to gospel music in some cases. It's a great way for the Word of God to reach those who it might not otherwise reach.

d.c talk is rlly good but my fave is probably relient K

i love sadie hawkins dance and when i go down

they sing a veriation and rock/alternative and praise

natalie grant, plum, and skillet are all rlly good to, as well as toby mac

but my fave is prob Relient k as stated above. tbh i cant think of a christian band i dont rlly like, of course i havent heard them all.

Rawk: Relient K
Rap: Hmm. tobyMac or grits, if you count tobyMac as Rap
Emo: emo is for n00bs
screamo: screamo is for screaming n00bs

Kevin Max is pretty good, and has an amazing voice, but I don't get some of his songs and poems...

dc Talk
Rich Mullins (amazing songwriter, some of his best stuff wasn't even released during his lifetime)
Jars of Clay
Third Day
Andrew Peterson (same comment as Rich Mullins, except he's still alive)
Casting Crowns

Why these six? dc Talk and Third Day because they are the music taht strengthened me greatly when I first became a believer. Jars of Clay and Casting Crowns because the lyrics convict and they have a distinctive sound without all of their songs sounding the same (unlike Mercy Me). Mullins and Peterson because they embody the free, creative spirit that Christianity should help to soar, not stifle like you see in so many stuffy folks.

i'd consider toby mac rap, but i havent heard all of his songs

i was made to love is rap in my opinion and diverse city is rap/hip hop

jars of clay are awesome too i have one of there cd's, mainly got it for "love song for a savior", but i sonn found some of the other songs to be rlly great.

Oh, I'm a die-hard dc Talk fan! No two ways about it. I love the lyrics; the blending of voices was perfect; the style, even as it evolved, was excellent. Talk about a quality group! Even my super-picky, classically-trained-musician husband loves dc Talk.

Third Day, too, is great. Dorkelf actually went to school with Mac Powell, which is cool. (He was a very nice guy, btw.) But I love Offerings and Offerings II; they are second only to Jesus Freak on my Pod.

When we get to vocalists instead of bands, I have to say it's Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, and Rich Mullins. The songs are so rich in meaning, and they all managed to produce top quality music throughout their career. And they are all excellent musicians with excellent testimonies. They live their faith!

I've just gotten into Underoath, I had heard of them, but the first time I ever heard them was on Madden 07. From what I've heard (Define the Great Line) they music is pretty uplifting.

Apologetix

I'll be honest, I never liked them. Their music just sounds too "eh" to me. I wish they'd stick closer to the music they were parodying, reason being I love the original tracks but refuse to listen to them because of language or suggestive themes.

Back