What if my computer explodes?

tjguitarz

Here's the situation...

I've bought $10,000 worth of music from iTunes.

Then my computer explodes.

I didn't back up anything.

Can I redownload my music without paying for everything again? Does Apple have all that information saved up somewhere? If so, how would I go about doing that?

The truth: I've never bought a single song from iTunes. My dad has (maybe 50 songs), and he's worried that if his computer explodes he'll lose everything.

Computers don't explode, they break.

The music is linked to the account, so it will probably involve getting the music unlinked from the old install then downloading it again.

Here's the situation...

I've bought $10,000 worth of music from iTunes.

Then my computer explodes.

I didn't back up anything.

Can I redownload my music without paying for everything again? Does Apple have all that information saved up somewhere? If so, how would I go about doing that?

The truth: I've never bought a single song from iTunes. My dad has (maybe 50 songs), and he's worried that if his computer explodes he'll lose everything.
welcome to the world of drm..:) You should be able to redownload the music...BUT that is depending on the restrictions set by the artists publisher or the artist itself. All i can say is try it..

I have heard that Apple has an unwritten rule that if you call their customer support and plead total system failure, they will allow you one redownload of every song you've ever purchased once per year. But obviously it's not guaranteed, so buyer beware. The moral is, back up your downloads. External hard drives are very cheap ($100 can get you 250GB or more), and are a great way to back up your data.

IMPORTANT!!!

Being an apple employee, I can tell you what would happen...

One, we would make you prove you lost the music (don't ask)...
Two, we would allow a ONE TIME redownload of all of your music...
Three, we would list on your account that you have done this, therefore you can never get any music back after this...

ALWAYS BACK UP STUFF YOU DON'T WANNA LOSE, WE ARE NOT REQUIRED TO GIVE THAT MUSIC BACK TO YOU...

Last edited:
Four: Stop using DRM protected downloads. Unlimited personal use copies of CDs FTW. At least, under Canadian copyright law it is.

I buy CDs I like and rip it to OGG, IMO it is much more crisp then MP3 and produces a smaller file size do to better compression. Some of the artists are switching over to privatized downloading and cutting out the labels that take over 90% of their profits.

I buy CDs I like and rip it to OGG
The first thing I do when I buy a new audio CD is rip the tracks to MP3 format, then burn at least one copy. I add the copy to the CD binder I leave in my car.

In a worst case scenario, if someone were to break into my car and steal my CDs, I could just make new copies. I learned this lesson after losing about $100 worth of CDs when I was younger.

I don't use iTunes and I don't intend to. If I really want to listen to something, I can hit up Songza.

My outlook is this: If I pay for content, I should be able to enjoy that content wherever I choose--whether that's on my computer, in my apartment, in my car, or on the go.

And if I pay for content, I have the right, under Fair Use policies, to back up said content. The DMCA contradicts the established policy of Fair Use, so I still use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter to back up DVDs I purchase.

Companies are so afraid of piracy and so greedy that they don't understand that DRM only hurts the end user.

Remember that Sony rootkit fiasco? Sony damaged untold numbers of computers--owned by people who purchased their product--to prevent profit loss. Meanwhile, the same albums were available on BitTorrent, minus the rootkit and much safer to download.

Does that strike anyone else as ironic?

DRM, like the recording industry, is a dinosaur. The RIAA can butt its head against a brick wall all it likes, but the day is going to come when it either has to change or die.

Back