[Weekly - Su/M] What did you learn/teach at church?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I mentioned a while back that I'd like to start weekly forum threads with a question or subject for people to discuss. I'm starting our first thread, to be updated every Sunday and Monday (since most folks may choose to observe the Sabbath by not posting online or simply minimize time on the computer on Sundays to spend with family or other pursuits) with the question: What did you learn--or, for the pastors and teachers in our community, teach--at church?

Share as little or as much as you'd like, from a one-sentence summary of a sermon to a full page (or more!) of notes.

You're also welcome to post links to podcasts or sermon recordings from your local church if you'd like.

I'll start us off in the next post.

Our church is currently going through the book of Hosea, which has been a challenging and sometimes uncomfortable look at our position before we came to Christ as well as the amazing gift of grace God extends to us.

To summarize: God gave the Old Testament prophet Hosea a message of redemption to not only tell the northern kingdom of Israel, but also to live out by marrying the prostitute Gomer and later buying her back when she had turned away from him and hit rock bottom. God's instructions to Hosea are among the strangest in Scripture, but the picture of God's unrelenting love for an idolatrous and unfaithful people is clear and staggering. We, like Gomer, have turned everywhere but to God for the things we need and want.

If anyone is interested in listening to the first 3 sermons in the series, please send me a PM and I'll reply with links to the podcasts.

title:
The Battle for Your Mind: Empower

Highlights:

1.) You dont bring a knife to a gunfight, you bring the most powerful thing you got - THE HOLY SPIRIT.
-2 Corinthiand 10:3-5.niv For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

-Iron man. Without the suit he is a mere mortal. With the suit he is near invincible. This is an example of us with and without the Holy Spirit.

2.) We must be captivated by Christ in order for our thoughts to be taken captive.
-Proverbs 26:11.niv As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly.

3.) What goes in and out of your mind must be regulated by Christ.
- Sow a thought, reap an action. Sow an action, reap a habit. Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character, reap a destiny.

I really liked it :)

Sunday the text was the often sung, well known text from Ezekial 37:1-14 of the dry bones coming to life. The emphasis was on the power of God to bring the dry bones of our Corps (church) to life. Also to bring the dry bones of our lives to life. Very good message from our Corps Officer (pastore).

We began our foray into the book of Hebrews with the first 4 verses. (Hebrews 1:1-4)

Major Points:
  • Unknown author, though he describes himself as one who learned about Christ through others (not first-hand).
  • The book is a letter but arranged much like a sermon.
  • Hebrews establishes that the entirety of the Bible points to Jesus (not just the new Testament).
  • It was a letter to Jewish Christians who were turning back to the old Jewish way of worship

Last edited:
It's time again for our weekly thread about what you learned or taught in church on Sunday!

My wife and I were helping in the nursery (don't get the wrong idea; parents are required to help out once a quarter, which makes sense), so we didn't get to hear the latest message in our church's series on Hosea, but I plan to download the podcast when it's available and listen to it.

If and when I listen to the podcast this week (assuming the sermon is uploaded this week), I'll try to remember to come back and post again.

But in the meantime, what did you all learn or teach in church yesterday?

We talked about the importance of small groups and how in the garden, God created everything and then pronounced that being alone was not Good. It was the only thing God created that wasnt good.

to make the point that we need people helping us, he used the following illustration:
12047011_910989265664723_2541246212132783296_n.jpg

We talked about the importance of small groups and how in the garden, God created everything and then pronounced that being alone was not Good. It was the only thing God created that wasnt good.

to make the point that we need people helping us, he used the following illustration:
12047011_910989265664723_2541246212132783296_n.jpg
Am I bad person for immediately thinking, "This picture was taken 5 seconds before Bob had to call for the paramedics"?

Being a Christian with a dark sense of humor is often an awkward experience.

But on a serious note, my wife and I were home with a baby with a minor fever (that already broke and she's back to her usual energetic self!) yesterday morning, so it's another podcast week for me. :/

Our pastor is in New Jersey, leading a mission trip, so we had a guest preacher who taught from the Psalms. He made good points on the fact that people don't retire from ministry, nor are they ever too old to participate. There are a number of older folk in our congregation, and I think he was rather focused on that demographic, but it was still a good bit of exhortation. He opened up with the inevitability of age, and how it isn't a bad thing, and that was a nice bit even for us at the younger end of the spectrum (who, in light of having a birthday this month, start to dread said inevitability because, darn it, I don't wanna!).

Mortality, yo. Better to face it head on now than later in life. Life is indeed a vapor. Best to appreciate each day God has given us, knowing it may be our last. Plan for the future, certainly, but don't assume you're going to get to see it.

So I listened to the sermon I missed last week and our pastor was teaching from the book of Hosea with an emphasis on Gomer's choice: Stay with Hosea after he bought her back or leave again. Gomer's choice reflects our own: Do we run to God after we begin to understand the Gospel or do we run away to legalism, distraction, and shame? One particular idea stuck with me: We live out our identity. If we believe we're an addict or a liar or a cheat, we live that out, time and again. It's essential we go to the Bible for our identity and not our shame.

totes yo!

Our church is big on that principle. Understanding the images and beliefs about ourselves, where they come from and looking to God to re-define who we are.

I dislike mortality so much though. Thats why i drink coffee..... I dont know why some mortals dont.

totes yo!

Our church is big on that principle. Understanding the images and beliefs about ourselves, where they come from and looking to God to re-define who we are.

I dislike mortality so much though. Thats why i drink coffee..... I dont know why some mortals dont.
Coffee says, "YOU'RE GOING TO LIVE FOREVER REALLY QUICKLY"

Last week was the last part of Hebrews 1. This week was the beginning of Hebrews 2. The importance of paying attention lest we "drift" from the faith.

A month and a half later, the Sunday/Monday weekly thread returns!

Our church started a series on 1 Corinthians this week. Our pastor provided the historical context of Paul's first letter to the Corinthian church, emphasizing the depravity of the contemporary Corinthian culture.

When Paul first entered Corinth, he didn't boycott immoral practices or petition for the government to enact new laws. Instead, he shared the Gospel.

When Paul writes to the church at Corinth, the church is, frankly, a mess. But he begins his letter by calling them "sanctified," encouraging us as Christians today that God loves us even while we don't have it all together. He doesn't leave us in our sin, instead transforming us through the power of the Holy Spirit to be more like Christ, but he doesn't abandon us when we fall nor does he expect perfection right out of the gate.

Ours this week was Acts 26, Paul's defense before Agrippa. How it relates to our defense of the Gospel.

Ours was how the bible is our truth, but sometimes we pick and choose what truth we believe in the bible and not believing or living the whole bible.

It was pretty convicting and led to good small group discussions

/bump

Stayed home yesterday due to continued recovery following surgery earlier this month, but watched my church's livestream. Our pastor taught about the role of older adults in the Christmas story.

Last night, el pastor wrapped up his series on the Belgic Confession, with the final article being on the end of time. Was a good reminder that judgment of our lives is something awaiting believers and non-believers alike, and a welcome antithesis to those times in this life when the righteous suffer and the wicked thrive.

it was a great sermon about service. About not ignoring the calling or little moments. and not being kingdom builders for our name but for God's .

We had a sermon Sunday night about prayer, looking at Hezekiah as an example. Was nice to hear prayer preached, and I was surprised by a handful of... notably pointed challenges to the congregation.

Back