Weapon Upgrades

Coffeebro

Could someone give me an overview of how to upgrade weapons and some do's and don'ts. I have a warrior that uses a sword and I know how to upgrade but I wanted to get a thorough explaination so I dont mess it up.

Well to start off what profession are you getting weapons for?

Also what kind of build are you using?

Some general tips for melee/physical damage dealers:
Sundering is one of the worst possible mods you can get. You'll do more overall and consistent damage with a vampiric weapon. 20% armor penetration will only do a couple of extra damage and as I said sundering is inconsistent with only 20% chance with each attack.

It's always wise to upgrade your weapon based on your build to optimize its effectiveness. For instance you wouldn't put a vampiric or sundering mod on a bow a cripshot ranger is using. You would put a crippling bow string on to lengthen your foes crippled time since thats what your build is going for. So be mindful of what your build is trying to do when choosing weapon modifiers.

Now as to how to build it:
If you're going for a perfect weapon make sure to buy/find one with a perfect damage modifier.
Example a weapon whose requirement you can meet that has an inherent mod such as the popular damage+15% while health is above 50%(aka 15^50). There are others such as damage +15% while in a stance or damage +15% while enchanted, etc.

Now aside from inherent damage mods there are a few items that come with built in mods that cannot be changed out much like damage modifiers. These weapons include the Fiery Gladius, Fiery Dragon Sword, Icy Dragon Sword, Icy blade Axe, Fiery blade Axe, etc. These weapons have a built in damage type modifier IE Fiery blade axe deals fire damage but that mod cannot be changed, it is permanent whereas most otehr weapons don't have this restriction.

Weapons can have a prefix and suffix mod. AKA: "Prefix Fellblade of Suffix".

A weapon may only have one prefix and one suffix attached to it at a time. Adding another will overwrite the old. So if you were to upgrade an "Ebon Gladius of Swordsmanship" with a Vampiric Sword hilt, it would replace the ebon prefix and become "Vampiric Gladius of Swordsmanship".

To upgrade simply double click the upgrade component and then click on the weapon you want to apply it to. Once you've used an upgrade it is bound to the weapon it is on. You may later salvage it but you will have a 50% chance of destroying the weapon in the process. This percentage decreases by 2% with every rank in the Wisdom title.

Hope this helps.

So you can over ride existing upgrades. I think I wrecked my sword then. I have a Gold Butterfly sword, cant remember all the specs, and I found a purple sword that I salvaged. I tried placing the new compontents on my gold sword thinking it would add to the sword, but I think I replaced the existing items.

I also have a blue dragon sword that I like. Can I take upgrades from better swords and upgrade it?

Yea if you applied upgrades to a weapon with existing mods you probably overwrote the old ones. It will ask you if you are sure you want to do upgrade every time so make sure you are sure.

You can upgrade your Fiery Dragon Sword but only with a suffix. The "Fiery" prefix is permanent and cannot be changed. Unless it's an Icy Dragon Sword, in that case the "Icy" prefix is permanent and cannot be overwritten.

if it's an icy (or fiery) dragon sword, all you can upgrade is the pommel, so you can change it to the Icy Dragon Sword of Fortitude or the Icy Dragon Sword of Swordsmanship (depending on what pommel upgrade you choose).
the hilt is static, so it will never become a Barbed Dragon Sword or something.

Sundering is one of the worst possible mods you can get. You'll do more overall and consistent damage with a vampiric weapon. 20% armor penetration will only do a couple of extra damage and as I said sundering is inconsistent with only 20% chance with each attack.

I have to disagree totally here. The only time I use vampiric mods is when I am solo (really alone or with just henchies/heros). The reason is that too many Monks won't heal you if you don't switch to a non-vampiric weapon when the fighting is over each time. I know......my Monk is one of those.

The switching aggravation is more annoying than the few points of damage that you might lose IMO. This would be especially trying to a new player.

Thats why you have to pay 30-35k or so for a sundering mod and can get a vampiric mod for 5k or less.

Just my 2 cents worth.

So the blue sword I have is a Feiry Dragon Sword of Defense if I upgrade it with a pommel from another sword thats better will it cause the sword color to change?

I have to disagree totally here. The only time I use vampiric mods is when I am solo (really alone or with just henchies/heros). The reason is that too many Monks won't heal you if you don't switch to a non-vampiric weapon when the fighting is over each time. I know......my Monk is one of those.

No I agree. I don't use either most of the time. My argument was that sundering is highly overpriced as there are better mods. I was just using this as an example. My personal favorite is a Zealous mod but I would take an ebon/fiery/icy/shocking hilt long before I would use sundering OR vapiric.

My point with vampiric vs sundering was the pure damage output. You will always deal more damage with a vampiric weapon than you will with a sundering. Thats the point I'm making.

And I'm also one of those monks who won't heal vamp users :p

So the blue sword I have is a Feiry Dragon Sword of Defense if I upgrade it with a pommel from another sword thats better will it cause the sword color to change?

No it will stay blue. The oime a weapon changes color is when you add a mod to a clean white weapon, doing so will make it blue.
If the defense mod on your fiery dragon sword is armor +5 than that is a perfect defense mod as that isteh highest value a defense mod can have. Defense is a good all around mod that helps in a varity of builds.

Back