Was I supposed to pick a specific race or legion?

FiremanThul

I'm not sure how factions or races work in this game, can only certain legions/races join, or is it one world where all can interact?

Either way, I'm on Sanctum of Rall now, not sure how to find you guys?

You can do any race/profession (class) and there is no factions like in WoW or Rift. There is pvp and it seems to be along the lines of what you find on the multiplayer in a first person shooter (you are put on a team). There is also world vs world which pits servers against each other.

You have a lot of options during character creation, which will effect your personal story.

However, the most important detail, when first creating your account, is to ensure that you are on the Sanctum of Rall server, as that is where the vast majority of LoE is based. As long as you are on the SoR server, you can play with us, regardless of the choices you make afterwards.

In character creation you can choose between the 5 races. Human, Norn, Charr, Asura, Silvari
Within those races there are certain factions you can belong to, for example, a Charr can belong either to the Iron Legion, Blood Legion, or Ash Legion. Those choices only effect your personal story. So do not worry if you choose Blood Legion and I choose Ash Legion because we can still play together, and even play with each other during our personal story.

The same is true about a third of the way through your personal story when you must join either the Vigil, Order of Whispers, or Durmand Priory. No matter which order you choose, it only effects your personal story.

Invite sent Thul, check it next time you are in game, just accept and make sure you represent us. Button down on bottom of guild screen. Gotta do it for each 'toon separate.

Hi everyone - I'm Randy's (aka Durruck) wife. I also requested membership today. I started a mesmer, but also want to try a ranger and elementalist.

Ranger is a good choice if you have problems figuring out game mechanics. They can farm reasonably well, and survive even with random keyboard bangers like myself.

I created both a ranger and an elementalist yesterday. It's going to be tough to decide which to level up first! I'm leaning towards the elementalist because it seems so versatile.

Elementalists are definitely tricky to level, especially in lower levels. They kill things fast, but you have to stay on your toes because they are very squishy, and the attunement dance takes a bit to get used to. If you're going to be consistently leveling with someone else, though, it shouldn't be an issue.

The elementalist can also be strangely not versatile because of their lack of weapon switching. Attunements give you access to a wide variety of abilities, but you're kinda locked into the play zone of the weapon you have equipped for as long as you are in combat.

I tend to play mage types, but Ele ended up being lower on my list because of the above.

On the other hand, they have some great animations, hit hard, and are able to really participate in keep siege/defense in WvW.

Yeah - an Elementalist was my first (and only) to 80 and I did most of it solo. It wasn't too hard learning to shift attunements - it actually gives you more variety than simply changing weapons.

But...Enok is correct - you are very prone to dying. You have to learn to move and keep moving...while fighting.

There are some good videos on playing an ele on YouTube.

Yeah, I probably should have noted that leveling isn't terribly difficult, in the scheme of things, on any profession. Open world content isn't incredibly difficult, and with the variety of zones to pick from, you can adjust your difficulty by keeping yourself overleveled by the amount needed (the downscaling has a pretty mild effect).

If you stick to one profession, you probably won't ever think of your profession as "difficult to level". It's all relative though, and after sweating out Elementalist or Thief squishiness, playing a Guardian or Warrior is kind of relaxing. Or if you experience the slower ramp up of Mesmers or Engineers, the KABOOM of a Warrior or Ele is kind of shocking.

I didn't find the general attunement dance difficult to get, but the specifics of how an ability of one attunement can synergise with an ability of another attunement took some thinking and repetition to get down so I could make those choice in the middle of moving and fighting. It felt like on Ele you are less likely to rely on a specific rotation than with some other classes.

Back