wanting to play WoW.

robinhood94

Hey guys. i dont know if many of you are familiar with me from the guild wars forums cause i havent been on in a while, but i was wondering if WoW has a server that is free and if it changes gameplay and in what way because i was wanting to play it, but dont have the money to pay the monthly fee. thnx and God bless y'all

I don't think that this thread will get too many public replies. While none of us like shelling out the cash for a monthly sub, we don't condone stealing the game from Blizzard, either. Their game is pay-to-play, cut and dry. Playing without paying for their service is stealing.

If you have heard of free servers you are hearing about Private servers which are not authorized or provided by Blizzard. It is definitely against their EULA and ToS, I am not positive if it is actually illegal in the eyes of the law. I am pretty sure I heard Blizzard was the first company to successfuly win a court case against a private server. Either way, it is wrong in the eyes of the Lord that we can be sure of.

I think he is asking more about if they provide a server that is free to use but possibly heavy handedly downgraded the playability on it.

The answer would be no. But you can download a 10 day free trial here.

Trial accounts have the following limitations:
- A level cap of 20.
- A maximum of 10 gold.
- Trade skills are capped at 100 ranks.
- Inability to trade via the auction house, mailbox, or player-to-player.
- In-Game public chat channels will be unavailable. (Players will still be able to communicate using say, party, or whispers).
- Characters will be unable to create or join existing guilds.
- Accounts will no longer be able to whisper other players unless they have been added to those players' friends lists or have received a whisper from them first.
- Characters will not be able to invite players into a party.
- Characters will not be able to join parties with other players above level 20.
- Voice Chat is disabled on trial accounts.
- Realms with login queues will give priority to customers with retail accounts.
- Will not be eligible for any Character Transfer service.

There are other MMORPGs out there from western developers that are F2P, not exactly WoW though. Anarchy Online and especially DnD Online come to mind.

thank you all and thank you for especially saving me from getting WoW and using a privat server. i think that you guys can expect me to be on WoW in a little while since i have no way of paying for the fee. thanks again and God bless y'all!

This thread got me thinking.

Since you bought the game, in a sense it is your property and one could argue that since you bought it it is yours to do what you wish. I have googled blizzard suing private servers and I googled the TOS for WoW.

The ToS is very strict... according to it you can't even play wow in public places:
Blizz's WoW ToS said:
(a) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location-based site without the express written consent of Blizzard....
Source

Getting back on topic, using a private server for WoW brakes sections A, D, E, F and G under the Additional License Limitations section. Very strict.

Personally, if I buy a game, I would like to modify it as I see fit. Obviously, they do not agree.

An argument of property versus intellectual rights. This will go on in the courts forever as long as people believe they bought a property right when the seller was only selling a right to use intellectual rights. You are not in a sense buying property. You are in fact paying a one time lease charge to use intellectual property, and in the case of WoW, you then pay an additional monthly lease fee (that does not afford the lessee any ownership rights of the lessor as is found in a capital lease) if you wish to continue to use the intellectual property for your enjoyment. Technically, you don't even own the cardboard box the game came in. This is true for 99.99% of the software, not just WOW.

I know, I know, feelings get in the way. There are two sides of the coin. I don't know of very many people on the flip side of the coin, that is, who create intellectual property. I'm sure everybody who uses these forums would want to be paid fairly for the use of any intellectual property they come up with and will feel as if they have been robbed when people start using your property (possibly even profiting from it) at your determent.

Some will argue that there open source available that contradicts all this. I haven't studied open source but my first suspicion is open source is generally made available by those who are independently wealthy or have other streams of revenue that are more significant then any possible revenue stream from their open source product. That is just a simple (maybe even over simplified) logical step: Nobody does anything for nothing unless they already have everything they want. Feel free to disagree with me or agree with me. I can't afford to copy right my opinions, so consider it open source.

Back