Want To Build A New PC

[toj.cc]phantom

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
Ok guys I need your help, I want to build a new PC but I'm not very good at doing it cheap. I used to get my dads hand-me-downs when he'd upgrade his, but since I no longer live with him he gives them to my stepbrother. The last time I bought a new anything was probably 2008, and although I've been able to play the new games that have come out, I think its time to upgrade. So here's what I have right now;

Disc Drives: Total 3 (500GB, and 2 60GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Processors: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core ~2.6GHz
RAM: 2.5GB
MOBO: A8N32-SLI Deluxe

I'd like to limit myself to $700 or $800 if possible so it doesn't take me forever to save up. I've asked elsewhere and have been told I only need to upgrade my video card, but I would also like to upgrade my processor and add more RAM.

This is the new video card that was recommended to me, Radeon HD 6670.

Last edited:
If you upgrade your processor you'll need a new motherboard, ram, and graphics card anyway.

You can very easily build a pretty good system for $800. If it's ok I'll try and pick out some items for you.

Here's what I found:

EVGA GTX 560 1GB 256-bit - $189.99
Corsair HX750 750W Power Supply - $144.99
G.SKILL 8GB 1333 (PC3 10666) - $42.99
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V 1155 Micro ATX - $64.99
Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz 1155 77W - $229.99

Total: $672.95

That gives you some wiggle room if you need to get an audio card or a case or something like that.

Last edited:
If you upgrade your processor you'll need a new motherboard, ram, and graphics card anyway.

You can very easily build a pretty good system for $800. If it's ok I'll try and pick out some items for you.

Here's what I found:

EVGA GTX 560 1GB 256-bit - $189.99
Corsair HX750 750W Power Supply - $144.99
G.SKILL 8GB 1333 (PC3 10666) - $42.99
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V 1155 Micro ATX - $64.99
Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz 1155 77W - $229.99

Total: $672.95

That gives you some wiggle room if you need to get an audio card or a case or something like that.

Cool thanks I've been looking all day but I'm never sure what to buy. I can handle building it and hooking everything in and all that stuff but I get lost when it comes to the actual purchase! Is there an easy way to tell how big of a case I'll need? The one I have now is probably about 6 or 7 years old.

Those are expensive.

Found the same CPU for $10 cheaper and free shipping.
Sale ends 15th though.
Intel Core i5 3570K - $219.99

You could also get a Corsair 850W PSU for $139.99.
SAVE $71.59 off our regular price of $211.58 if you buy today! Special price ends 08/15/2012.
Corsair Professional HX850W

If you want cheaper, I found two.

Corsair Professional HX750W - $114.99
After Mail In Rebate: $104.99

Corsair Gaming Series CMPSU-700G GS700 700W - $99.99
After Mail In Rebate: $89.99

Video cards

ASUS GeForce GTX 560 DC 810MHZ 1GB - $179.98
After Mail In Rebate: $159.98

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Fermi 810MHZ 1024MB - $189.98
After Mail In Rebate: $159.98

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Fermi 850MHZ 1024MB Superclocked - $179.98
After Mail In Rebate: $149.98

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Fermi 830MHZ 1GB - $164.99
Perfect with the Gigabyte Mobo and Windforce technology.

If your gonna use 8GB ram, you need 64-bit.

Is there an easy way to tell how big of a case I'll need?

You can get mine.

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid-Tower Gaming Case ATX White - $137.99

Dimensions: 558.0 mm Height x 281.0 mm Width x 595.0 mm Depth
Number of Fans Installed: 4
Number of Fans Supported: 10
I also bought a new case; Corsair 500R.
It has 6 fans. 1 x 200mm and 5 x 120mm.

I prefer full ATX cases with full mobo.

This mobo basically has the 2x the stuff.
Costs more but has crazy features such as 32GB ram max, PCI-E 3.0 and Dual BIOS.
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 - $94.98

Last edited:
[toj.cc]phantom;459660 said:
Cool thanks I've been looking all day but I'm never sure what to buy. I can handle building it and hooking everything in and all that stuff but I get lost when it comes to the actual purchase! Is there an easy way to tell how big of a case I'll need? The one I have now is probably about 6 or 7 years old.

You don't need a large case. The motherboard I recommended is a Micro ATX, so a small mid-tower case will do just fine. A large case is somewhat obnoxious, but really just about any case you buy will fit both form factor motherboards and should be large enough.

And on what Corpfox said... I recommend that you get Windows 64-bit because overall it's going to be a lot faster and will work better with the processor and when you set the Affinity, if you decide to do that. Also, quad-cores are going to become a lot more efficient as next generation games come out.

You don't need a large case. The motherboard I recommended is a Micro ATX, so a small mid-tower case will do just fine. A large case is somewhat obnoxious, but really just about any case you buy will fit both form factor motherboards and should be large enough.

I'm more worried if the new parts can fit in a "small mid-tower case'' and if it generates alot of heat.

When I bought new parts for my old case, the PSU, video card and hard drives just barely fit.
Had to remove the hard drive tray to fit the video card because it was too long and install the hard drive below the DVD-ROM.
And just notice because of my small case, it generated alot of heat, didn't have enough fans and holes.

If your getting a new PC then try to get everything new.

Last edited:
IMO AMD gives more bang for the buck than Intel. 18 months ago I built my rig for $750 ($200 was video card) and it is still near the top in performance for a non-uber $$$ PC. I'm no expert but just letting you know that you can build a real nice rig for the amount of money you want to invest.

What Bowser said.

[toj.cc]phantom;459631 said:
This is the new video card that was recommended to me, Radeon HD 6670.

The 6670 is more of a "hold me over" card than anything else (I know, I'm currently using one). I would shoot for a 6800 series Radeon (and I personally would stay away from nVidia due to their track record with failing chips, etc).

Thanks for all the input guys, now I won't be able to get any of this stuff right away, but it definitely helps! Can someone tell me what items would last me the longest? The PC I have now is at least 4 going on 5 years old and I can still play all the stuff thats coming out (on medium settings) so I'm hoping to get the same mileage out of it again.

I run an Radeon HD 6850. Absolutely love it, I have 3 (24inch) displays and run 9 eve clients w/o it even breaking a sweat. I haven't even thought of over clocking it... yet..

I think newegg has them for ~$150 now

[toj.cc]phantom;459785 said:
Thanks for all the input guys, now I won't be able to get any of this stuff right away, but it definitely helps! Can someone tell me what items would last me the longest? The PC I have now is at least 4 going on 5 years old and I can still play all the stuff thats coming out (on medium settings) so I'm hoping to get the same mileage out of it again.

For processors, an Intel i5 or i7. Everything I've read about processors (both AMD and Intel) suggest that the Intel i5's or i7's are the absolute best for energy conservation, low heat output, and long-term viability.

For motherboards, I think Gigabyte is the best. Asus, MSI, Intel, and a few others are pretty good, but Gigabyte is rock solid and is very affordable.

For graphics both Radeon and nVidia are very good. You'll probably have to switch out graphics cards every 1-2 years anyway, so that's not a critical component imo. A good 6 month to a year old graphics card should be very affordable and also powerful enough to last you for another 18 months or so.

For RAM G.skill is usually the very best, but I honestly don't think you have to be super picky.

As always, pay attention to the reviews. Five stars is usually preferred, but you also need to pay attention to the technical experience of the reviewers. Avoid reviewers that say something vague (e.g. "this is so good at surfing the internet, it's SO fast!!), and stick to the ones that give details of performance and etc. :) :)

Hey guys is this setup any good?

Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 AM3+ AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Video Card: Nvidia 9800 GT

I already own the video card, and can't afford a better one right now, but my computer died on me the other day because of an electric surge and fried my mobo and psu. I replaced the psu and that's when I found out the mobo was dead.

My budget is $200 maybe $250 but closer to $200 for the RAM/Processor/Motherboard.

I gues I'm just wondering if I can do better with that small amount of money?

This is still on sale until tomorrow (well... there are still rebates that you'll be able to take advantage of until tomorrow, I should say).

Six-core Phenom... though less oomph per core.

Nought linked to the kit a while back. It's what eventually got me to order a similar kit yesterday.

Just re-linking in case it catches your fancy.

This is still on sale until tomorrow (well... there are still rebates that you'll be able to take advantage of until tomorrow, I should say).

Six-core Phenom... though less oomph per core.

Nought linked to the kit a while back. It's what eventually got me to order a similar kit yesterday.

Just re-linking in case it catches your fancy.

Cool thanks! I'll give them a look, however if the deals expire tomorrow I doubt I'll have the $200 buy then lol. Its coming from my renters insurance so who knows how long that'll take.

Back