Virtual machines

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I have never set up a virtual machine before.

I'm wanting to set one up to try a Facebook game or two. (Hush, it's for science!)

So I thought I might as well learn how to set up a virtual machine with Linux (I'm thinking Ubuntu).

Where do I start, what programs do I need, and what guides will help me through the process?

I've found a few tutorials through a Google search, but I want to know what software you all recommend before choosing a program and getting started.

virtiualbox

virtualbox is the way to go. And if you plan on using a 64bit os on the VM, there are probably some bios setting that need to be adjusted. Zorin would be a good linux to try as Ubuntu has gone the way of Mac OS with a global menu.

VirtualBox is best, and while Linux is a good choice because it's free, running it in a VM often causes hardware conflicts, but if you are even slightly tech inclined, you will figure it out.

And if you really have no idea on how to set up a virtual machine, then go here: http://lifehacker.com/5204434/the-beginners-guide-to-creating-virtual-machines-with-virtualbox
Cool deal.

I've saved the link to my Read It Later list and I'll see if I can spend some time playing around with virtual machines this weekend.

VirtualBox is best, and while Linux is a good choice because it's free, running it in a VM often causes hardware conflicts, but if you are even slightly tech inclined, you will figure it out.

And if you really have no idea on how to set up a virtual machine, then go here: http://lifehacker.com/5204434/the-beginners-guide-to-creating-virtual-machines-with-virtualbox

hardware conflicts? how so? I have a host right now running ubuntu as a kvm host and inside of that it runs astaro security linux, windows server 2008r2, and an ubuntu vm running zimbra. I have another host running hyper-v as the hypervisor with astaro securitly linux, server 2008r2, Astaro ACC, and other centos, ubuntu, and suse vm for me to play with...all without problems.

hardware conflicts? how so? I have a host right now running ubuntu as a kvm host and inside of that it runs astaro security linux, windows server 2008r2, and an ubuntu vm running zimbra. I have another host running hyper-v as the hypervisor with astaro securitly linux, server 2008r2, Astaro ACC, and other centos, ubuntu, and suse vm for me to play with...all without problems.

Issues with GPU and networking, which from what I have read is very common, heh.

Okay, I used an old Windows XP install disc and nLite to build a stripped down image for WinXP and slipstream SP3. Now I'm installing 97 (ninety-seven!) WinXP updates. I may use WinUpdateList to manually download the hotfixes and prepare an improved install image, but I don't know if I'm willing to take that much time.

Anyway, yes, I have a WinXP virtual box running now and I've also tried a premade Ubuntu VM as well. Cool stuff!

EDIT: Heeey, this Windows Update Downloader tool is handy!

Last edited:
Back