...using the phrase "OM-" (As in Oh My ***) and other 'Almost Blasphemies'.

ChristGuard

What do you, as Christian gamers think? Is "OM-" as in "Oh my ***" ok?

Personally, and mind you this is my own beliefs that I don't want to push on you but would love to discus, I think that those three letters constitute blasphemy and are thus breaking the third commandment. In fact, I don't even like the phrase even if you end it with 'Gosh' or 'Goodness'. And while we are at it, I really don't like it when people take of the last syllable of Jesus' name and use just the first syllable as a swear word.

Now as I said, this is my personal belief, and while I wish no Christians used such phrases, I certainly do not look down on you just because you do. What do you guys think? Am I being a prude?

Using gosh, goodness etc. shows a person explicitly chose to avoid taking God's name in vain. I generally applaud them instead of making it tougher on them given most people just straight take God's name in vain. It's not like the phrase "oh my" is exclusively used with "God" anyway. The acronym is right out of course as one cannot alter it's meaning from shear force of will :p .

Many of the "expressive" phrases are the result of someone not wanting to take God's name in vain. "Crikey" "criminy" are derivatives of "Christ", probably Jimmy Crickets too. Of course the mindless repetition of any phrase is generally held as a sign of stupidity and annoyance but that is another subject.

I've read a web site that was seeming against saying anything ever to express ones feelings. I disagree greatly as holding it all in and pretending to be Mr. Nice is just asking for an explosion. As a Christian I also find it repugnant as it seems to be tantamount to lying for converts (I'm so happy all the time tra, la, la). Rather there are polite constructive ways and impolite immoral ways of expressing yourself.

I generally say narg or gah but I am sure some pervert somewhere will append an indecent meaning to whatever you say.

note: I probably don't have time to reply so just take my opinion for what it is.

Last edited:
Now as I said, this is my personal belief, and while I wish no Christians used such phrases, I certainly do not look down on you just because you do. What do you guys think? Am I being a prude?

Maybe a little bit prudish. If it bothers you - definitely don't say it. Glad you don't look down on those of us who do.

Personally, there are plenty of times when, "Oh my God!" is a perfect response to an awesome situation. But when I use it, I'm talking to God or about God - not like a teenage girl going, "OMG!" all the time.

You should never feel the need to type *** instead of typing "God." Even in game, with filters all the way up, God doesn't get replaced with ***. "God" is not blasphemous unless used with contempt, as an insult or without reverence.

Quick question - I haven't seen you in the other forums - what are some of the games you play?

Look forward to seeing you in the forums.

Maybe a little bit prudish. If it bothers you - definitely don't say it.

Right on Abba.

Personally, there are plenty of times when, "Oh my God!" is a perfect response to an awesome situation. But when I use it, I'm talking to God or about God - not like a teenage girl going, "OMG!" all the time.

Right, the phrase can be used if you mean it sincerely. If my family was just killed I would certainly call out to God in some way.

"God" is not blasphemous unless used with contempt, as an insult or without reverence.

For me, OMG, Holy Crickies, Good Lord, Gosh and many other forms of God's name twisted to not be God's name fall under this statement. They are not used with the reverence God's name deserves. It was satan who took what God said in the garden and twisted it just a little bit. Twisting God's name just a little bit so it's not technically taking His name in vain is just one very small step away from Him. But it is a step.

Will taking the Lord's name in vain send you to hell? No more than every other sin you've ever committed or ever will. Will watching what you say in any form help you get to heaven? Nope. Not even a little bit. But we should always try to be more Holy. To always keep growing in function as well as knowledge.

If it bothers you, try not to do it but don't judge others for their stands and beliefs

Question: Is "god" or "God" God's name? It appears to me to be talking about "Yahweh" and not "God".

You shall not take the name of the Lord is literally “Not you [singular] will lift the name of Yahweh.” To “lift” a name means to utter or pronounce it, and since it is the name of your God, it may mean to “invoke” a deity by calling out that deity’s name. In vain is literally “to emptiness,” or “to empty purpose” (Durham). Since the name of any deity was considered sacred, any careless use of that name was to “misuse” it (NJB, CEV), or “abuse” it (Childs). 20:7 TEV interprets it to mean “for evil purposes,” and 20:7 NRSV has “make wrongful use of.” TAN gives it an even narrower meaning, in the sense of invoking the name in an oath: “you shall not swear falsely by the name.” It is better, however, to give it the broader meaning of “abuse” or “misuse.”

Noel D. Osborn and Howard Hatton, A Handbook on Exodus, UBS Handbook Series (New York: United Bible Societies, 1999). 475-76.

My view is that it is literally talking about God's name, and not "God" or "Lord" etc. Does this mean I use any of the phrases stated in this thread, or similar? No. I still don't like them, or what they represent. But do I think those phrases are breaking the commandment. No.

Whatever name you use to refer to God should not be used in vain. No one goes around saying "Yahweh" in everyday language. That is Hebrew. In most English bibles it is translated LORD, as opposed to Lord or lord. To say that as long as I don't use "Yahweh" I'm not using the Lord's name in vain misses the point of the commandment. If the commandment is for the ages - it is also for any of the languages it might be translated into.

Whatever name you use to refer to God should not be used in vain. No one goes around saying "Yahweh" in everyday language. That is Hebrew. In most English bibles it is translated LORD, as opposed to Lord or lord. To say that as long as I don't use "Yahweh" I'm not using the Lord's name in vain misses the point of the commandment. If the commandment is for the ages - it is also for any of the languages it might be translated into.

Bingo! And since my first language is pig latin I can get away with saying a bunch of stuff. Abba hit on the spirit of the law which is in the greatest commandment to "Love God". If we truly love God we won't go around speaking ill of Him in our speech.

It would be like me talking ill about my wife. "Oh My Wife", "Wife **** It" etc. That would not be respectful at all. Our love is shown in our words. Now to be real for a sec, this is one area I have failed in my walk. I've often been disrespectful to God in my language. I appreciate any arrow prayers you could throw up for me.

FYI. - Brush up on your Spanish. I've heard from an unreliable source that's the only language spoken in heaven.

Last edited:
Yahweh is the English translation for God's name. The reason I quoted the UBS handbook is because they're mostly geared towards translators. Just because we give God a "name" doesn't mean it is His name.

However, I never said that it was alright.
Does this mean I use any of the phrases stated in this thread, or similar? No. I still don't like them, or what they represent. But do I think those phrases are breaking the commandment. No.

I clearly state that I view it as literally talking about God's name. Which is why we started using "Lord", "God", etc. instead of "Yahweh". To keep from potentially using God's name in vain they used the other names for him.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
For your reference I play GuildWars 2 with SoLA and I had played MineCraft with ToJ.

Now, more on my opinion of the issue.

First let me say that I do not believe the word God has much power, no more than the word Jesus. I know, crazy right? Instead I think when the Bible is referring to the name of God or the name of Jesus it is talking about much MUCH more than a word or a noun we use to denote the person of God. I believe it is talking about the character of who Christ or God is and the person behind the name.

For example, think about the guys who went around trying to cast out Demons in the name of Jesus whom Paul preaches, it did not work, because the name, or the word Jesus is just a word, but the person Jesus who lives inside us is where the power is.

That being said, I think that saying OM- is blasphemy (in most cases, obviously not talking about using the phrase in appropriate reverence of what God has done). Why? Because it shows that you do not respect God enough to not use that noun in a more holy manner. James 3:10 says "Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." The same word you use to pray to Jesus should not be a curse word, the same goes for God's name, in my book.

All in all, it seems I agree with most of you ;)

In the end God knows what's in your heart (used here as is common speech) in regards to this issue.

If you don't agree with something, don't do it. I have my views, you have yours. Does this all matter in the end (salvation)? I don't think so.

FYI. - Brush up on your Spanish. I've heard from an unreliable source that's the only language spoken in heaven.

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

IMHO I don't think any known language will be spoken in Heaven, it'll be something very special, that we will just know.... maybe we do know it.... Love language.....

Didn't mean to hijack thread.

Every movie I have ever seen that has heaven as a part of it has everyone, including God, speaking English, so I am sure that English is the official language in heaven! I have seen a lot of movies, so I think that makes me an expert :p

Sources:
Bruce Almighty
Evan Almighty
It's A Wonderful Life
Babe 2

What do you, as Christian gamers think? Is "OM-" as in "Oh my ***" ok?

Personally, and mind you this is my own beliefs that I don't want to push on you but would love to discus, I think that those three letters constitute blasphemy and are thus breaking the third commandment.
I agree and it is actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine. It bothers me to see the name of my Lord and Savior carelessly used as a swear word. It reflects human pride when we trample the name of the One who holds our life in His hands.

I don't expect non-believers to respect His name. But I wonder when someone who is called from death into life by that very name and the blood of Him who bears that name, flings that same precious name around as a simple curse word.

In fact, I don't even like the phrase even if you end it with 'Gosh' or 'Goodness'. And while we are at it, I really don't like it when people take of the last syllable of Jesus' name and use just the first syllable as a swear word.
I depart from you here. I do not think they are the same thing.

What do you guys think? Am I being a prude?
Perhaps, but if so then I am too.

Last edited:
I don't consider "God" God's name. It's a title used to describe God. In the english language we have a translation of his name, and if you go back to the original texts, it uses his name, not one of the words.

Now saying this, I don't agree with any of the phrases or types of phrases this entire topic was started about. I don't, nor do I appreciate, when people use them. Because "God" is the title used for God, I feel that it as well should be held in a higher place, and as such, shouldn't be used lightly.

If you notice I generally (sometimes I miss it) use God, Lord, Him, etc. out of reverence and respect.

I am in no way shape or form arguing for the use in the manners described in the thread, I am just saying that looking at the original language (in this case Hebrew) it specifically mentions "Yahweh" and not "God" etc.

Themonkey thinks that maybe that the commandment has nothing to do with cussing and swearing.

Themonkey has worked in vain before. That is, Themonkey has worked expecting a result and then the expectation did not pan out. Themonkey then realized that sometimes, Themonkey doesn't have control over the result, regardless of how much control Themonkey would like.

Themonkey thinks that not to take the Lords name in vain means to not use it with expectation of control. Themonkey wonders, is Acts 19:13-16 an example of using the Lords name in vain?

====

Themonkey is adding to themonkey's post to add that themonkey thinks also that to not use the Lords name in vain generally means to not misuse the Lords name. That is to use the Lord's name to inappropriately. Themonkey thinks we have a personal relationship with God and that was God's plan all along. Themonkey would not like it if Themonkey's friends used Themonkeys name for personal gain, or to put Themonkey in a bad light.

Last edited:
Back