Use uTorrent? Downgrade or delete.

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
If you're using uTorrent as your main BitTorrent client, I would encourage you to downgrade to version 1.6.1.0 or uninstall it in favor of another BitTorrent client.

Why, you ask?
Los Angeles - - BitTorrent Founder and CEO Bram Cohen and Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman announced today that the motion picture industry and BitTorrent, Inc. are collaborating with the goal of inhibiting film piracy. Bram Cohen developed a revolutionary technology for websites to make large content files available on the Web and that technology is often used by others illegally to distribute movies and television shows. Today Cohen confirmed BitTorrent, Inc.’s commitment to removing links that direct users to copies of pirated content owned by MPAA companies from its search engine at BitTorrent.com. The announcement today is historic in that two major forces in the technology and film industries have agreed to work together and proactively identify ways to l and to promote constructive innovation in this area.
This is Bram Cohen, the creator of the BitTorrent protocol, and Ludvig (Ludde) Strigeus, the writer of µTorrent.

Together, we are pleased to announce that BitTorrent, Inc. and µTorrent AB have decided to join forces. BitTorrent has acquired µTorrent as it recognized the merits of µTorrent's exceptionally well-written codebase and robust user community. Bringing together µTorrent's efficient implementation and compelling UI with BitTorrent's expertise in networking protocols will significantly benefit the community with what we envision will be the best BitTorrent client.
I know this is old news, but I just found out about it and wanted to pass the word along.

Now don't misunderstand me. I am not pro-piracy. I'm pro-privacy. Any time a ginormous company like the MPAA buys into a BitTorrent client, I can almost guarantee that they'll be tracking your downloads.

I have to watch 20 minutes of advertisements (not trailers--advertisements) when I pay $15 for me and my wife to see any feature film--and that's for a matinee. I barely put up with the ads to go see a Pixar movie. I can't imagine wasting $15 of my money and two hours of my life watching the drivel that constitutes 90% of modern American film.

Actually, I can. But in my defense, I had no idea that a movie could be as awful as Highlander: Endgame. Seriously. I want those two hours of my life back so I can spend them chewing tinfoil instead.

Again, I'm not advocating piracy by any means, but is it really that hard to figure out why people download movies?

I'm not trying to justify downloading movies. Downloading movies is wrong. I just want people to know that I have a reason for disliking the MPAA--just as I have good reasons for disliking Wal-Mart, Blockbuster, Disney, and other soulless mega-corporations.

If you've already upgraded to the latest version of uTorrent, don't worry. You can uninstall uTorrent and download version 1.6.1.0. According to the posts I've read, that's the last version that was released before uTorrent sold out.

And Linux users: Let me keep you from some unnecessary keystrokes: Yes, I know you don't use uTorrent. Everyone knows you don't use uTorrent.

And Azureus users: Azureus is a great BitTorrent client, but it's a resource hog. The appeal of uTorrent is that it's lightweight but still includes all the main features most people look for in a BitTorrent client.

With those two disclaimers out of the way, feel free to post away. :)

you know i like azurues. With the latest non 3.0 version it jsut runs..it runs very smoothly and doesn't chew up anymore ram than FF and TB do now..<G>

wow.... ive been using the orignal bittorrent program since.... ever.... and actually i never liked azurues because of adware from the initial download/installer O_O

/me brandishes Glorious Wrench of Topics, with +5 Agility and +10 Topic Restoration

/me desperately tries to pull thread back on topic

So, a BitTorrent thread developed by a developer who's in league with the MPAA. Anyone else downgrading or switching clients?

i'll prolly switch to bitlord but i'll prolly look for something diferent and simpler. i liked bittorrent because it was a very basic and clean program

i'll prolly switch to bitlord but i'll prolly look for something diferent and simpler. i liked bittorrent because it was a very basic and clean program
Many sites ban the BitComet and BitLord clients. Click here to read why.

wow i never knew that, all i knew was a friend loves it so i thought i would try it

I just want people to know that I have a reason for disliking the MPAA--just as I have good reasons for disliking Wal-Mart, Blockbuster, Disney, and other soulless mega-corporations.

Down with the corps!!!

Tek, what are your reasons for disliking all of those? I understand some of the obvoius ones, but Blockbuster and Disney I don't get. I LOVE DISNEY MOVIES!

Tek, what are your reasons for disliking all of those? I understand some of the obvoius ones, but Blockbuster and Disney I don't get. I LOVE DISNEY MOVIES!
For the sake of keeping this thread on topic, I won't post a long diatribe on how Disney has turned from a creative setting the standard for Western animation to a drivel factory that desecrates the memory of classic animated films for a buck.

I mean, c'mon. Bambi II? 'nuff said.

Want creativity? Watch a Pixar film. Pixar is now what Disney once was--innovative, daring, and an industry leader. Disney is a shadow of what it once was.

Want quality animation? Watch good anime (i.e. not Dragonball Z, Pokemon, or almost any other series that's become popular int he US). Rah Xephon and Sola come to mind as examples of high-quality art in anime.

But back to the original topic, the MPAA gets on my nerves because they force-feed moviegoers "Movie piracy is wrong" propaganda after I just paid $15 to watch a matinee.

I've been using uTorrent because the BitTorrent program dls slower - have to check the version...

Big companies and loss of privacy ftl.

/bump

I've been using Halite for the last few months, but I admit that I miss uTorrent's superior queuing and "stop seeding when you reach 1:1 ratio" features.

Can anyone recommend a Windows BitTorrent client as an alternative to uTorrent other than Halite or Azureus (which is too bloated IMHO)?

I still use uTorrent, because the private trackers I am a member of "strongly recommend" it. On the Linux side I use Deluge.

I still use uTorrent, because the private trackers I am a member of "strongly recommend" it. On the Linux side I use Deluge.

Delunge is what I use on my box. I don't use anything else because I keep my desktop on 24/7 and can remotely access it from pretty much anywhere.

Back