Upcoming changes to the 7F forums ...

Allanon

Well it is time, call it early spring cleaning, I am looking to revamp the 7F forums completely. Primarily, it will reflect our WoW guild only now. Counter Strike is pretty much long dead for us. We have not run servers for months now and most of our community have moved on to other games with a good chunk coming along with us to WoW. I would like your suggestions / thoughts regarding the layout, what forums do you think we need? I would like to keep it simple but I am open to pretty much anything. Give it some thought and post them here please.

It's noit really about activity - it is about organization. It makes it much easier to find posts you need and to just take a quick look and see what is going on. I always feel lost when I read the forums here, like I am missing something becuase it is all together under one heading I think.

I guess it was just what I would like to see done. :)

[7F]Hawk said:
Can you give me an example, something like this ?

TheForgiven
|
-> Events
-> General Chat

I would recommend these.

General Chat - General Chat for WoW
Quests/Professions - Get help on quests and professions
Events - Includes a link to a calander for guild events
Off Topic - Discuss things other than WoW

Other than those things, I can't think of anything else that is needed. Maybe a members only sections?

Ok, General chat, Quest/Professions, I would use a sticky for Events and stuff. I definitely want a Members Only forum so I'm thinking three then, its simple to start. How does that sound to everyone?

Sounds good to me. The event forum will be nice and you will not really have to do many stickies at all, except for maybe just one general guidelines. Makes me happy since I tend to prefer as few stickies as possible for 2 reasons. I forget to look at them to see if they have new info and second when I log in I have to start scrolling down before I can read the new posts for the day.

Relaeha said:
Sounds good to me. The event forum will be nice and you will not really have to do many stickies at all, except for maybe just one general guidelines. Makes me happy since I tend to prefer as few stickies as possible for 2 reasons. I forget to look at them to see if they have new info and second when I log in I have to start scrolling down before I can read the new posts for the day.

I'd agree with this. I don't really look at stickies either. Maybe once a week or so. No one ever really posts in them so I tend to skip over them most of the time so I'm sure other people do as well. The less stickies there are, the better imho.

Ok, so something like this ...

General Chat
Quests/Professions - Asking questions or assistance for quests and professions
Events - Guild specific or significant event
Guild Members Only - Private discussion regarding guild "stuff"

[7F]Hawk said:
Ok, so something like this ...

General Chat
Quests/Professions - Asking questions or assistance for quests and professions
Events - Guild specific or significant event
Guild Members Only - Private discussion regarding guild "stuff"

Looks good to me. It covers everything. Would things that do not reference WoW go in the general chat?

Perhaps quests & professions could also include armor builds and talent builds or something like that...or perhaps general chat and in game stuff?? K..I'm brain dead right now and I'm not coming up with a catchy phrase but hopefully I'm explaining myself well enough for someone else to.

[7F]North said:
Perhaps quests & professions could also include armor builds and talent builds or something like that...or perhaps general chat and in game stuff?? K..I'm brain dead right now and I'm not coming up with a catchy phrase but hopefully I'm explaining myself well enough for someone else to.

I would have thought talent builds would have went under general but that's just me.

I would assume that general chat would be a chat about IRL stuff - general stuff that anyone might be interested in (unless this is what the members only division is for?) Then I thought that stuff pertaining specifically to WOW would go in a different room...really doesn't matter to me..I'm happy to have them all stuffed together in one spot so I don't forget to check the other "rooms".

I would also recommend a section with forums for each class. For example:

Class Forums

- Warrior
- Priest
- Mage
- Rogue
- Warlock
- Druid
- Paladin
- Hunter

It might seem like a lot of extra forums, but it helps split up topics - especially when you're searching for something.
Talent builds would go in the appropriate class forum.

[7F]LarryBoy said:
I would also recommend a section with forums for each class. For example:

Class Forums

- Warrior
- Priest
- Mage
- Rogue
- Warlock
- Druid
- Paladin
- Hunter

It might seem like a lot of extra forums, but it helps split up topics - especially when you're searching for something.
Talent builds would go in the appropriate class forum.

I had thought about recommending this at first but decided against it. Reason being is that I don't play certain classes because I don't enjoy them myself, like the warrior class. I would never check that "room." Never. But say someone who has a warrior as a main just posts a question about grouping, etc, in the warrior forum. I could probably help him/her out but since it is in the warrior forum, I would never check it and would never be able to help him/her out.

But if we did not have class specific rooms, they would have posted that question in the general room, and I would be able to lend a hand with their question.

Just my view point on that. Not saying it isn't a good idea, just giving my overall view.

Yeah, I can't imagine having enough interest in creating those, most ppl play cause they enjoy their class not what their points are in with the exception of a few of us ;)

Back