Uh cs 1.6 tonite?

Exo-Slayer

Saw this on the ve3d page that is part of the IGN network anyone know if this is part of steam or what?

New Versions of Counter-Strike & Team Fortress Tonight 11:00 am - - games: action (1 comment)
Counter-Strike.nz is reporting that the final version of Counter-Strike 1.6 will be released along with a new version of Team Fortress Classic when Steam 1.0 launches tonight.

More Counter-Strike and Steam related news can be read about here.

Just came across this its from some valve employees

CS 1.6 Full Release Today
Posted by Legacy * @ 2003-09-10 04:43:34
202 Comments
This was released by Alfred at Valve on the Valve mailing list. Please read my question and answer by Alfred at bottom of post. Basically CS 1.5 will not be listed with won anymore so you won't be able to find the servers. So basically CS 1.5 will not only be replaced by 1.6 but 1.5 will be unplayable.

Timeline:
We will be releasing the dedicated server binaries later today.
Tomorrow we will be releasing the client.
In a couple of weeks we will make this update mandatory.

What is it:
This release is converting all users to Steam. When you install the client you will need to have a valid HL or CStrike CD-Key. Dedicated servers will need to create accounts but will NOT need to enter a cd-key. At no point will anyone have to enter credit card details. In the future there will be the option to purchase the "Platinum Pack" via Steam if you don't currently own a copy.

This release consists of: Counter-Strike 1.6, Half-Life, TeamFortress
Classic, DMC, Ricochet and Day-of-Defeat 1.0.

What changed:

Linux servers:
http://www.steampowered.com/platform/update_ history/Linux%20Dedicated%20Server

Dedicated servers:
http://www.steampowered.com/platform/update_ history/Dedicated%20Server.html

TFC:
http://www.steampowered.com/platform/update_ history/Team%20Fortress%20Classic.html

Counter- strike:
http://www.steampowered.com/platform/update_ history/Counter-Strike.html

Steam Issues:
Q: Can I use Steam with a modem?
A: Yes, steam will work for modem users.

Q: Is WON going away?
A: Yes, once we have completed the rollover we will slowly remove parts of
the WON system as they become obsolete.

Q: Has the net code been changed since the beta?
A: No, apart from small bug fixes.

Q: Will my existing 3rd party programs work (i.e Admin Mod, CDeath, ...).
A: In general yes, all existing 3rd party programs can still work under
Steam. The individual authors of each program will need to inform their
users of any install directory or configuration changes.

Q: Do I need to alter my firewall setup?
A: Steam requires some extra ports to be opened for outgoing access, read this page for details:

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=f aq&id=1050915505,27362300,105091
5726,98098300,5 726,98098300

Q: What happens to my current banlist?
A: Everyone will be getting assigned a new Steam ID and it will not be
possible to convert old banlists.

- Alfred

Jeremy: OK so in a couple of weeks we will no longer be able to run CS 1.5
with won anymore?

Alfred: Correct, in a couple weeks the master servers will stop listing any CS 1.5
servers.

o_O

Looks like I better start doing some planning for our server. I can't believe it's *actually* being released!

rock.gif

client & server are both out, got mine from shacknews/fileshack (very small file).

whats the plan on getting our server upgraded? do we have a date yet?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Sep. 11 2003,12:13)]this is crap!  
mad.gif
steam is the suxs
Now, now, just because the Steam program has been riddled with more bugs than a Discovery Channel documentary on swarms, that doesn't mean that this repeatedly delayed launch is going to be a nightmare.

*cough*

Of course, then there's the issue of the "pay to play" scheme. And the bandwidth nightmare for modem users. And the question of ad-ware and spy-ware. And privacy issues.

Okay, yes, Steam sucks. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Give us Steam for Half-Life 2 if you please. Bleed those financially troubled IT working gamers dry. But don't mess up a good thing. And for the love of cheese, DO NOT MESS UP NATURAL SELECTION!

mad.gif

From what i understand any game you connect with your won id with (NS TFC CS DoD) pretty much any half life mod will have to switch to steam with in a few weeks.

What I do not get is how they will apply the HL and CS 1.6. I know that CZ is likely to get in the HL2, since it comes out late, but 1.6 and moving on to 1.7, i dunno how they'll manage it..

Well im updating right now, does not seem that difficult it promps you on maps youd like to keep and if you want to delete all your old directorys (saves space) or if youd like to keep everything intact. Well update on how much i hate it shortly.

Ok im not so happy now, got through all the set up and trying to install cs/dod/tfc/oposing force and click install and then it just sits there saying its installing no % or number or anything just sits there. Apparantly Valve didnt want you to know how long installs will take so they have nothing but a screen saying installing for 2 hours then you restart at the right time and it could (prolly not) work.

CZ is supposed to be compatible with 1.6 now. Owners of CZ will be able to connect to servers running CS 1.6.

sad.gif
I downloaded Steam Client and after installing it, it tries to connect to "check for updates", but after 3-4 minutes I get the "failed to connect to any servers".

I went to the Steam website to look for answers, but the FAQ section doesn't even work!! (no links, no nothing!)

I don't like Steam already... *bleh*

Steam is the suxs, the idea behind it is good, because it simplifies stuff, but if you ask me I would rather do things the old fashioned way, than have high pings and rather large number of errors. But if its on our server im cool with it
smile.gif

so what happens if we choose not to upgrade our server, can the people with 1.5 still manually connect to it?

I'm still trying to update from 1.5 to 1.6. No success yet, and there's no light in the end of the tunnel either.

After waiting a looong time to get somewhere where I found this "Steam Client 1.0 non-beta (final) Including Counter Strike 1.6" link to download, all I get - after 10 minutes - is a smaller window with a "local download" filename and the mirror name. And it just sits there.

Anyone had any luck updating to 1.6 yet?

The link where I found what I did so far is
<http://www.computergames.ro/download.php?optiune=show_download&did=2023>. Good luck...

as for LoJ's question: I have no idea... but I imagine if you update to 1.6 you wouldn't be able to join 1.5 servers... but that's just a guess. There's a lot of talking about "how cool it looks", but I can't figure it out if they are talking about HL2, or CS 1.6...

In a few weeks there brining down the won servers they say so you wont be able to play on any of the current servers unless they upgrade to steam.

Back