Trillian Astra invites

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I've got 5 invites for Trillian Astra.

Post a reply or send a PM with your e-mail address if you want one.

Wuzzat?

Oh! I found it... here!

WOW! Looks very impressive. Have you used it Tek? Is it stable, pretty, and intuitive? If so, I would be very interested in trying it out.

I am not the biggest fan of browser based IM clients, so I LOVE TRILLIAN!!! This sounds awesome!!!

EDIT: I just got my beta code in an email... yay!!! :D

EDIT EDIT:

Trillian used to be the bomb, now with meebo and digsby I am not even interested.

Never heard of digsby...is it new...looking at it now...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: after going through 10+ ads on the install setup, I am kinda "ehh" about it...

Last edited:
This thing has the potential to be a huuuuge vista level resource pig..

Can you expand on your statement a bit more for us non-computer folk? Why? How badly would that damage performance? How would it run on a Mac?

For those that have tried the software, what are your impressions?

WOW! Looks very impressive. Have you used it Tek?
Yes. I've been using it since I got my new notebook up and running about a month ago.

Is it stable, pretty, and intuitive?
More or less, yes, and I think so, personally. Then again, I used Trillian Pro for years, so Astra seems like a natural progression for me.

How much RAM is it using? While IM'ing...
I have it running with Facebook integration, IRC channels, and one instant message window open and it's using just under 17MB RAM.

EDIT: I'm using the default skin, which is shinier (and thus probably requires more RAM) than some of the more minimalistic options.

go-pn send me one if you have any left.. i will try it out. Pidgin does the job but always in the mood for shiny things.

Issue: I am assuming Astra will cost to get when it is released...?

Solution: Even though it looks rather impressive, and worth beta testing, Pidgin can do everything and more than Astra, plus even better, Pidgin is open source...

Having a hard time justifying using Astra on release...anyone want to try convincing me otherwise, I am open for it...

Issue: I am assuming Astra will cost to get when it is released...?
Trillian's developers release two versions of Trillian: Basic and Pro. Pro costs money ($25 a year for all upgrades, I think?) and Basic is completely free.

Solution: Even though it looks rather impressive, and worth beta testing, Pidgin can do everything and more than Astra, plus even better, Pidgin is open source...
Aye, stick with what works for you. As for me, Trillian's metacontact feature sealed the deal for me long ago and I've preferred it over other IM clients ever since. But that's just a personal preference.

Had a play with it and so far i think that Pidgin > Trillian. That opinion mioght change when i can get trillian to do everything pidgin does.

I still say Digsby > Trillian + Pidgen
The best feature is the way a small overlay will popup when in a game so you can see and even reply to chats without alt-tab out or being kicked out to desktop.
yeah they have to make some money via ads while installing, but you can decline them all.

I still say Digsby > Trillian + Pidgen
The best feature is the way a small overlay will popup when in a game so you can see and even reply to chats without alt-tab out or being kicked out to desktop.
yeah they have to make some money via ads while installing, but you can decline them all.

I agree...too bad it isn't open source, but other than the 1254 ads during install (hyperbole), it is pretty impressive...

And that small pop up overlay really kinda won me over...and the fact I never have to check my Facebook or MySpace, I just have to jump on there...it does everything...

I still have to give Pidgin the win just for it's open source-ness, but for now I am using Digsby...

Something I am going to have to test Trillian Astra with is Digsby, like all other IM Client other than gTalk, won't let me set my Google status, only your mainstream IM's like AIM and Yahoo... If Astra can let me set my Google Status, I will be sold...checking now...update coming soon...

UPDATE: Even though there is a option to, and it works "inside" Trillian, looking at it from a different IM client it does not set the status...oh well...

Last edited:
What is that?
If you have one person on your contact list with four instant messaging IDs (e.g. two on AIM, one on Yahoo, one on ICQ, one on MSN), you can merge all of those contacts into one metacontact on your list.

Back