Tribes: Vengeance

kraniac

I just got Tribes Vengeance. I opened it with fond memories of the incredibly overlooked awesomeness of Tribes 2. After installation, I started it with excitement, and hopped into a multiplayer match. It's not as cool as Tribes 2, but it's definitely worth your time and money. The learning curve has been smoothed out, so it will not frustrate newbies like Tribes 2 did. However, it still holds enough complexity to interest the more hardcore or experienced gamers.

For those who haven't played a Tribes game before, there's not much I can use to describe it, because it is so unique. But, imagine a cross between Battlefield 1942/Vietnam and Unreal Tournament 2004, with jetpacks and set in the future, in outdoor environments. The main gametype is Capture the Flag, and players can choose different armor types, weapon loadouts, enhancement packs, and single-user or multiuser land or air vehicles.

Does anyone else have this game and would there be interest in a chapter?

I have it. My only beef with it is it's so incredibly hard to kill anyone. My match high is 20 kills, a very low number compared to other games. The reason is, the main weapon everyone uses is a slow projectile explosive, and everyone is flying around at 130mph! Plus the base raping can get extremely frustrating, especially since they set it up so that this gives your team a huge advantage by doing it on most maps.

I haven't picked it up, but I did enjoy the demo, both single player and multi, altough I didn't get enough into the multi to really have a good opinion of it. It reminded me a lot of U2:XMP, but that game was heavily influeced by Tribes 1 and 2 anyways so that's not saying much.

Too many other games on the go Kraniac, otherwise I'd join you!

PS - will you be attending UT2K4 game night tonight?

Yes, I will still be attending UT night. When else do I get to blow my friends up on a regular basis?

And I am waiting for UT2k4 XMP. I will probably play that a lot.

I know what you mean about too many good games out right now. I'm torn strongly between Far Cry, Star Wars Galaxies, UT2k4, Tribes Vengeance, and Halo 2. There's simply not enough time in a day to enjoy all the gaming goodness that is being released now. Add to that the semi-coolness of Doom 3 and Battlefield Vietnam and I'm in over my head in recreational possibilities. It's a good thing my priorities are in line, or I would end up living in my mother's basement when I'm 45.

re: too many games...I was reading about this on another site, and it has a lot to do with the game industry's scheduling. Christmas it the big buy season, so they drop in EVERYTHING somewhere in the two months leading up to december. That's why you've got GTA:San Andreas, Halo 2, HL2, Doom 3, Tribes, Paper Mario, Prince of Persia: WW, UT2004:ECE, etc. etc. etc. all coming out at the same time. There's just too much coming out for people to play 'em all, so a lot of really good games are going to go overlooked and get lost amongst the big ones.

There really can be too much of a good thing! ;)

My problem with Tribes:V is the weapons seem really stale. The bases have also been over simplified. I liked having huge bases like in Tribes 1, that made things interesting. Hopefully Tribes:V will have some mods to liven it up a bit, till then I dont plan on buying it.

Back