Tornado Outbreak 3/2/2012

Skibabinz

I'm currently at Morehead Kentucky, which was barely missed by the path of the Tornado outbreak which hit today. West Liberty, which is a small town not 15 minutes down the road from here got hammered by a very large tornado that blew through the small town's main street. When I go home, I have to go through this town, which is probably a mile wide at best, with "Main Street" being the road you have to drive down to get through it. From my understanding, multiple people are trapped, injured, and there have been local reports of multiple fatalities. As I type this, my girlfriend just was told the town was essentially flattened by some friends who live just outside of it. She also recently found out her hometown of Salyersville, which is about an hour away from West Liberty, has multiple businesses leveled. Her friend commented that the local "Mighty Mart" was "sitting in the center of the freeway".

I just ask for prayers for these people. I feel extremely blessed that the storm basically went over our town, but I feel so sorry for the people of West Liberty, Salyersville, and every where else this horrible storm has blown through.

Edit: I found out that the Tornado basically went directly down mainstreet in West Liberty.
Edit 2: I just watched a short 8 second clip of the West Liberty Tornado, and it looks like it was at the very least a F3 Tornado.

Last edited:
Sent it up.

On a side note to this.

The son of a man I work with was vacationing in Branson when it was hit. The cabin they were staying in was hit but everyone got out ok. However a friend of the son was on the 3rd floor of a Best Western (I think). A tornado removed the 3rd floor and he did not survive.

A lot of people to pray for. Also keep the emergency and relief workers in mind. That can be the toughest work going. The Salvation Army is probably stretched pretty thin right now.

Thanks guys. We got to see some pictures of the damage taken today, and probably 90% of West Liberty got flattened, while about 50% of Salyersville got hit. So far, 1 man died in Salyersville, but it was due to having a heart attack which was set on by the Tornado. West Liberty has had 4 confirmed deaths, and I don't even know how many injuries. I do know they shut down the main highway to West Liberty from here to have a path for Emergency Personnel vehicles only.

Back