Tony  Hawk Pro Skater

Anayo

I do most of my video game related shopping at my local EB Games. On an average day you'll be lucky to walk out with a half decent game without spending at least $30. On a lucky day, you'll be able to walk out with a classic like THPS spending a measly five bucks.

I'll start with the gameplay. There are a number of professional skateboarders to choose from, each with unique statistical adventages (e.g. one guy skates faster, another can jump higher, etc. Not that it really matters in the end because by the time you beat the game -- which doesn't take too long -- all your stats are maxed out anyway.) You have to skate around an area (a warehouse, a school, a city, etc) strewn with half pipes, rails, ramps, and all sorts of objects ideal for skating on. By completing objectives within a time limit of two minutes (earning a certain amount of points, finding the letters S-K-A-T-E, knocking over "NO SKATEBOARDING" signs) you can earn tapes, which unlock new levels, boards, and increase your stats. There are also three competitions where you have one minute to earn as many points as possible in order to win medals. I'll admit, it's a little hard at first, but once you get a good bit of practice under your belt you can tear up the place and score major points. The gameplay, even in it's raw form, is undeniably fun and ideal for almost anyone to play. Words can't describe the satisfaction that comes from pulling off a big, hard stunt and scoring tons of points for it.

The music is good. It's not phenomenal, but it is very good. The well done tunes accompany the fun gameplay very well. The songs all by themselves are pretty good, to such a degree that if I had the chance to buy the THPS soundtrack I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

The -only- downsides are the slightly blocky, highly pixelated graphics that PS2, XBOX, and GCN players might say haven't aged well. The skaters themselves don't look too bad, but the graffitti on the walls becomes an indescernable mess of pixels when you get too close. Also, your skater makes the same noise every time he wipes out, even when you're playing with the female skater (weird). Fortunately, none of this affects the terrific gameplay.

All in all, I'd have to say that THPS is a good game, especially for five bucks (ha ha, suckers!!!). I'd be on the lookout for a good deal on this game if I were you. Even by todays standards, it's a garuanteed good time.

Back