Toj.cc tag in Danger?

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
Steam appears to have had a stroke of genius once more... NOT! Today I got banned 3 times for "advertising a web site" which must mean having [toj.cc] in my name. This was on 2 different ego servers and one public server. I have also never ever been banned before therefore I am assuming it's some automatic process added to Steam. The duration I played before I was banned from each server also varied greatly from a couple of minutes to several hours after I had been playing there. Anyway can anyone else confirm an update that has caused this or should I look elsewhere for an explanation? (please don't remove your toj.cc yet I may be wrong IDK)

It's pretty bad when Valve prohibits web sites in names but does nothing about sprays, I guess they are ok -_-. I am actually pretty upset because having toj.cc in my name let me do something positive via an otherwise frivolous game. I will have to test to see if you can still give out website names via chat now.

Just before this happened I registered for a TF2 contest under my gaming name which has the tag in it so I hope it doesn't cause problems there as well.

On a possibly related note I was playing earlier that day and was switched to the same server multiple times after I had already canceled a map download (CP_Redstone_b2 on a Q clan server) it finally stopped sending me there but it was a weird glitch.

Last edited:
Yeeks! This does not sound good. I'll give this a whirl when I get home later today.

What are the ips of the servers you were on, Gerbil?

Yeeks! This does not sound good. I'll give this a whirl when I get home later today.

What are the ips of the servers you were on, Gerbil?

I have 18 different servers in my history for today so I can't name all 3 specifically (the players playing is inaccurate in Steam as it reads people playing, even after refresh, when there are not. Thus I hit a lot of servers).

These are the Ego ones though 72.233.91.123:27015 and 74.53.242.35:27015 . I play on Ego a huge amount because they are among the few servers that actually enforce rules... sometimes. As such at first I thought it was just some new rule to their servers only. However I got banned from a public server after that (not sure which it was but it was definitely not an ego server). Anyway it's weird because I played for hours one of those times before it happened and went back and played on other servers since. You may not be able to test it due to hours it may or may not take. Also when I was kicked/banned it gave me a specific reason for my ban and since their is no normal admin option to give a reason it would have to be an automated process or something special.

I am hoping it was just a fluke and I am not changing my name yet.

Last edited:
Back in my old CS clan, we had a rule stating that players couldn't have website tags in their names. Most of the time, people would refuse to change their tags, so we responded with a perma-ban. Our thing was, we pay for this server, you're not advertising your clan's website or IRC channel with our money :D

If you were just banned in specific servers then it might just be a server thing and not Steam itself. Let's hope that's the case.

Hey Gerbil, I think it must have been the server itself, an admin was watching or something. I didn't have time to try the servers you mentioned, will give it a go tomorrow.

I am really hoping it was just admin ban it's just...

1. It's not listed in Ego's very clearly listed rules which you must agree to at startup.
2. I've played 5d 22:18:15h worth of time on their servers and never had a problem or warning when admins have been there.
3. I went to a completely different server public server after the Ego ones and still got banned. I've never been banned before so it's an unlikely coincidence to be banned twice in a row on 2 different servers.

I've gone back to Ego since and not had a problem. If an admin asks me to change it for their server I will but they haven't yet.

I guess if no one else has had a problem I am pretty much going to ignore it and consider it a fluke unless something else happens.

Side note: I had a new glitch on a couple official maps today with func_doors opening but not the parented prop_dynamic (it looks like a door is closed but it's not solid). Anyone else?

Last edited:
me and a couple of people had trouble with the admins on ego servers for having toj.cc in our name and we had to change our names. Sooo.... Apparently they have just stopped issuing warnings and started banning without any questions. Which, ofcourse as you stated, they do not post any anti-advertising rules clearly listed, and well... We never had any problems before, right? So... My theory is one of them visited toj.cc and saw what we were all about, and now they want us to not advertise our website... :/

Last edited:
me and a couple of people had trouble with the admins on ego servers for having toj.cc in our name and we had to change our names.
Is there somewhere Shagz or I can post or someone we can contact to contest the decision or at least ask them to publicly post the new rule?

I know several members of ToJ frequent eGO servers; I've played on them a few times myself and had a great time. I'd rather members don't have to change their name every time they hop between an eGO server and another server, but I'm not going to raise a stink over the decision. Their servers, their rules.

I don't know tek... I'm sorry :( The only website I know of them advertising is their sponser's web address

Another thing you might try MG, is telling the Admins that you are not advertising, maybe they didn't know[ always a possibility ], I play on many different servers and by doing so am Subjected to many things that do not go on or allowed on a Christian server[at least ours], just remember its their server and if you feel wronged go to their Homepage and bring the issue up through the forums, I have done so on other Christian servers{I was banned by two Non members of the KinGDoM Christian Clan, I brought the subject up, was reviewed and the culprits were Banned} ,Hope it doesn't happen again :)

Another thing you might try MG, is telling the Admins that you are not advertising, maybe they didn't know[ always a possibility ], I play on many different servers and by doing so am Subjected to many things that do not go on or allowed on a Christian server[at least ours], just remember its their server and if you feel wronged go to their Homepage and bring the issue up through the forums, I have done so on other Christian servers{I was banned by two Non members of the KinGDoM Christian Clan, I brought the subject up, was reviewed and the culprits were Banned} ,Hope it doesn't happen again :)

I did get kicked again but FINALLY the admin gave me the reason. I will certainly respect ego's rules but since they didn't tell me that websites aren't allowed (in their agree to rules section of the server nor by any other admin) I wasn't going to change something important to me without conformation. Anyway I just have to remember to change it back and forth now between [toj.cc] and [toj] :/.

Last edited:
Heh, changed it on the server and got like 4 thank yous...

o_o All well. :p

Back