To tan or not to tan....apparently it's very controversial.

Chaska

Le sigh. So I got a bunch of gift certificates at a bridal show for a tanning salon. I've never been, never felt the need. But I was thinking maybe for just a little while I might do it so that I have a nice even tan for my wedding/wedding photos. Being a responsible thinking adult, I figured I should look into risks and what not associated with tanning salons. While I was at the bridal show I got a pamphlet discussing all the benefits from sun exposure (Vitamin D and the like) and how having supplements in our diets, isn't quite enough. So I figured I'd look and see what other people said about it. And here's what I found:

Pro-sun:
  • The sunscreen people are a $5 billion industry that don't care about your health and well-being
  • We need more Vitamin D than food supplements can provide but sun exposure can
  • Most forms of skin lesions are technically cancers but are benign, small and don't spread
  • Complete avoidance of the sun is just as unhealthy as over exposure to the sun. You need to moderate your self (by getting a decent tan base that helps protect you from sunburning) and knowing your skin's limitations. (So sun exposure and tanning can be damaging but keep things smart and moderation)
  • The risk of burning and damage is higher in people who work indoors than outdoors.
  • The rise of skin cancer is caused by the 20-30 year latency period of skin cancer and 20-30 years ago people let themselves get sunburned all the time.
  • Skin cancer deaths have actually decreased lately
  • We have a very decorated Doctor who lost his job as part of the American Association of Dermatologists writing a book that said that the sun has benefits.
  • Everything we've said has been backed up by lots of researches and high name Dr.s that have been in the field for years.

Pro-sunscreen
  • The tanning people are a $5 billion industry that don't care about your health and well being.
  • There has been a rise in skin cancer since tanning beds and lamps have come out
  • There is no such thing as a safe tan
  • You can get enough Vitamin D in your diet
  • You should wear sunscreen every day to protect you from damage from the sun
  • Tanning seems to be addictive kind of like smoking and alcohol and people will return to salons even after being diagnosed with skin cancer.
  • Studies have shown that tanning bets up the risk of skin cancer, eye cancers and premature skin aging
  • Everything we've said has been backed up by lots of researches and high name Dr.s that have been in the field for year.

Now I've simplified their wording a bit but I have tried to stay true to the message that they each sent. Now my personality, as it is, tends to favor the idea of moderation and I think that getting some sun and a bit of a tan not only looks good but is good for you sounds mighty appealing. But I also hear people say to me: My friend that I know goes to those things and got skin cancer at the young age of 22 (or somewhere around there). So I'm left frustrated and not quite sure how to respond. I'm also left frustrated because this kind of situation isn't unique to the tanning salon controversy. In most controversies studies done by the most reputable people who truly care about the betterment of the world or are funded by $5 billion industries that pay them to say that and care more about making money than your well being. Which side of the controversy you're on figures out which you adhere to. With a few specific exceptions those arguments I put up could be given to Coffee being good for you or Global warming. Which is frustrating because it means that people are so busy proving that they are right and the other person is wrong that they don't seem to be putting their efforts into actually solving any problems. Or maybe I just feel that way. Well there's my little rant. I think I need a snack.

Pax

I'm not saying (or really thinking about) the pros and cons of tanning but I do have a random thought. When I think of brides I have never thought of them being well tanned. I have thought of them having porcelain like skin though. With all the white and going for purity it seems more synonymous with them than tanned.

Another side thought: If you've never been to a tanning booth is there any risk in how your skin will react to it? If you have a set date for your wedding you don't want to end up with a rash, skin peeling or looking like a charcoal baroque. I have no idea if things like this happen but it may be worth asking around out they could.

Last edited:
Well, living in a place known as The Sunshine State, I do tend to get alot of sun. When I am going to be out in the sun awhile, I will use sunscreen but this has more to do with the fact that when I was younger, I was in the sun 8-10 hrs a day on the lake. I worry a bit more now about cancer and such due to the amount of dmg I did to my skin when I was younger.

I think if you take it in moderation and don't go in and try to get your tan all at once, you will be fine. Same goes for getting your tan from the sun. You can still get a tan while using sunscreen and doing it in a slow method rather than applying Crisco and frying for an hour on each side.

Each industry is going to tell you what they think will make you want to use their products. It's tough to wade through it all and come to an informed decision. If you are really worried about it, contact a local dermatologist or even your family Dr. and ask their opinion. That way, you have a better chance of getting an answer you are looking for from someone not on the payroll of either company.

Sun is good for you in moderation, but UV lighting is not the same. Don't equivalate the two. I'm not saying a tanning salon is bad, just that it's not the sun. The Mighty Gerbil is correct: ask about skin reactions prior to going.

One last thought: God made you the way you are. Why do you feel the need to change that (rhetorical question; I dont need the answer)?

God made me with tannable skin. Skin tanned evenly appeals to me, personally, more than unevenly. Usually I wouldn't pay for this but hey, my wedding day should only come once so why not just for fun. As for porcelain white brides...that's assuming the bride starts off with a porcelain white skin base, which, I don't. I've already made my decision, I'm going to do a little bit of tanning just to keep things even. I was more posting to point out that I was frustrated because scientists and research are busy being petty and saying, "we're right and the other people are wrong because they're jerks trying to make money." Both sides say it and so it makes it frustrating for someone who likes to look at both sides of a position wanting to make an informed decision. It's not just limited to tanning. It just happened to be a recently relevant example. And just know that if someone tries to fry Chaska, the full wrath of Elune will set them on fire that falls from the stars and the moon, and I'll root you in place if I hafta. ;)

I hear that the new Professional spray on tans are pretty boss for brides to be. You stand in a shower basically and they paint your body with tan.

I personally think its fine for something special like a wedding day. Just don't get addicted to it, as the root of the idea is based on pride and self worship. For one special event, however, I think it rises above that as part of a long term memory experience.

Back