Tips?

janc

Anyone here have some tips for newbies to this type of game? The only game like this I've played is Demigod, and I haven't even played that much.

This game is one that is learned with lots of practice and help from others.
There are many in our community, some very good, most average (you can figure out who you are.. :) )
start with the training mode, play some 1 player 5v5 bot matches, 5v5 AI matches, get some good players to play along, play alot and level up.
Do not by anything unless you have tried them out during a free week, fall in Love with the hero (like Mostly Harmless <3 MF), save IP for runes wait till you can buy level 3 if you can...(my opinion there)
That should be a start.
I did buy the 20$ game and got a lot of heros, a skin and some RP (Riot money, works from real money). If you have some $$ to spend that would not be a terrible idea, but totally unecessary.

Good luck and get some of the other TOJ players on your friend list

Last edited:
The most important piece of advice I can give to new LoL players is: DO NOT play LoL with strangers. LoL has one of THE most toxic communities online (and I used to play Quake 3 on pub servers). If it weren't for patient instruction from Mostly_Harmless and other ToJ members, I would have quit LoL entirely. LoL can be a fun game with the right group, but my experiences playing on teams with strangers has been almost entirely negative.

Fortunately, ToJ has several very active LoL players and you can glance at this page to see who's on the TeamSpeak Server's LoL channels without logging in to TS. It's a handy tool and helps me know when there are good games to be had (which is most nights of the week).

One specific piece of advice: While learning the game, pick a Champion that isn't super-squishy. I almost quit the game after a few games because I started with Ashe. After I played Morgana once, I looked at the game in a whole new way. Like eraserhead said, the game's a lot more fun when you find that one Champion that fits your playstyle.

This is gonna take some getting used to. I've tried two different champions, haven't found one I really like yet and haven't one a match (just bots so far :p). Very different from other games I've tried.

Thanks for the tips...I already added all of the names to my friends list.

Protip: Morgana is awesome.

She's not super-squishy, she has a stun, a good AoE spell (level Tormented Soil to 4 and cast on the back line of enemy caster minions for easy money), and a good defensive spell (ALT+E to self-cast Black Shield = survival).

Even if you end up choosing another champion as a main, Morgana is inexpensive (only 1350 IP) and a great support Champion. Her lifesteal will reduce the frequency with which you'll need to return to base and her skill shot stun will help you learn the timing and angles on skill shots.

Yes, I'm biased because Morgana is my main. But my logic holds up regardless. :)

I keep telling Tek, Morg is a carry! :p

Janc, I really recommend playing a tanky character! It is how i eventually learned what is over extending and what isnt....which is by far the most important skill in this game!

Morg really can be a carry and does great solo mid.

I agree that Over Extending and Last Hitting are key skills to study/learn/master. Read all you can on those topics and play lots of games with it in mind.

Last edited:
I'm sure Morgana could be a carry in the hands of a better player, but I'm content playing her as a support character.

And just so I don't de-rail the topic:

Protip: When playing as a new champion, play against bots to get a feel for them.

If and when you pick out a main character, visit MOBAFire for in-depth guides and pay special attention to the highest-rated guides for your Champion of choice.

And as with any game: If it stops being fun, step away from it for a while. There's so little time for recreation in our lives that we shouldn't spend it throwing keyboards against walls.

And as with any game: If it stops being fun, step away from it for a while. There's so little time for recreation in our lives that we shouldn't spend it throwing keyboards against walls.

Thus why I'm ready to hang up my TF2 hat(s):confused:

Here's a tip from someone who has played well over 1k ranked games.....DON'T BUY BOOTS! : )

Here's a tip from someone who has played well over 1k ranked games.....DON'T BUY BOOTS! : )

galapagos-tortoise_532_600x450.jpg

I 2nd the Prez. request......
Mostly_Harmless' forums account was already edited previously for the lulz (not by me, mind you). Still, it's tempting. :D

Back