Time to say BYE BYE to IE

Don't blow this one off. there's a video demonstrating how much control somebody has once this exploit is operated. I'm not trying to sound like chicken little but this truly exposes how badly designed Windows and IE really are.

That poor browser is dying the slowest death of any piece of software I've ever seen. One can only hope that process gets sped up. xP

it's not only the browser. The browser is now tied into nearly kernel level(some Activex controls DO run in ring 0). Until MS removed IE from this low level it won't matter if it's IE or firefox. Anything exposed directly to the web running at nearly kernel level is a bad bad idea.

o_O I thought they fixed that mess with IE being that tied in. -_- Apparently not. I've avoided IE like the plague for a long time now anyway.

What is this IE you speak of? :p

But seriously, I haven't used IE (except to test an occasional web application to make sure the site or my connection is the problem and not Firefox) for a long while now.

What is this IE you speak of? :p

But seriously, I haven't used IE (except to test an occasional web application to make sure the site or my connection is the problem and not Firefox) for a long while now.

Same, I don't like IE either.

the only times i use ie is when a website requires it (pretty rare nowadays, but there still are a few sites...) or when im at school (thankfully then upgraded from ie6 to ie7 on the comps running xp)

sad isnt it? :(

the only times i use ie is when a website requires it (pretty rare nowadays, but there still are a few sites...) or when im at school (thankfully then upgraded from ie6 to ie7 on the comps running xp)

sad isnt it? :(
ie7 is no help in its default configuration.

I know a lot of people don't use IE on their personal computers but many companies still use it for their work computers.

Where I work we have to use IE (its the old one that came with XP... thats how old it is) and we cannot change it. I am sure my company isn't the only one who still uses IE.

Where I work we have to use IE (its the old one that came with XP... thats how old it is) and we cannot change it. I am sure my company isn't the only one who still uses IE.

We are forced to use IE even though all our partners (other companies we work with) insist we use Mozilla... The two people responsible for not allowing us to change are both big idiots who got their IT positions from political clout and not actual technical skills...

We are forced to use IE even though all our partners (other companies we work with) insist we use Mozilla... The two people responsible for not allowing us to change are both big idiots who got their IT positions from political clout and not actual technical skills...

Heh, at least the reason our campus hasn't switched is for pragmatic reasons: We would have to phase out IE during our regular PC rollouts, which means there would be a period of about two years during which time we would have to support two different web browsers, and doing support for just one browser is costly enough as is. That said, we do keep everything MS/Adobe/whatever is widely used as updated as is physically possible and still be stable.

elader if you run windows you can't get away fomr IE. THe only way to switch is to remove the ie icon and "disable" it via group policy and install FF. Unfortunatly that's a user wall that is going to take time to be broken.

I know that, and we already do that for some users/locations that aren't supposed to have access to the internet. By phase out I mean disable IE for users that are getting a new PC that will have another browser installed as default. And during that time when we take support calls on our web based software, we will have to know who is currently using what browser and how to deal with it. The administration doesn't feel it is cost effective to do that, and thus we use IE.

Heh, at least the reason our campus hasn't switched is for pragmatic reasons: We would have to phase out IE during our regular PC rollouts, which means there would be a period of about two years during which time we would have to support two different web browsers, and doing support for just one browser is costly enough as is. That said, we do keep everything MS/Adobe/whatever is widely used as updated as is physically possible and still be stable.

Any company worth their caliber wouldn't make crap that doesn't work on both FF and IE. It isn't really that hard, outside of ignorance.

You haven't seen the crap we've had to install because the professors raised enough of a fuss with the administration...

Back