Thr3e

Killerah

Thr3e is this really good christian book by Ted Dekker that you all should definitely read. Anyway, they made it into a movie and it came out today, check it out here: http://www.foxfaithmovies.com/thr3e/ If you don't want to read the book make an effort to go see the movie, it looks totally sweet. The trailer doesn't really do the story justice, you'd have to read the whole book/watch the whole movie to understand it. So yeah, I'm gonna watch it tonight and I encourage all you folks to try and do the same. $6 to support what looks like an awesome Christian movie isn't a bad deal at all.

I'll let you guys know what I thought of it after I've watched it.

ive heard about it and read dekkers boks: obsessed and awakening christianity. awakening christianity is freaking awesome, i might watch the movie

Three is a really awesome book-we are going to go see the movie as a Birthday present for my husband. I love Ted Dekkers work. My husband & I are currently working through his Circle Trilogy. I am a bit worried. The last christian movie I watched that was based on a book was "One Night with the King" which is based on the Tommy Tenny book "Hadassah". To say that the movie didn't do the book justice is beyond just an understandment. The movie doesn't even come close. I hope "Three" will live up to the book. I don't expect it to be perfect, but hope I it is close to the book.

I thought it was a decent movie, but not nearly as good as the book, I'm curious to see what other people who haven't read the book think of it. Now I'm going to explain why I liked the book better, don't read it if you don't want the story spoiled for you.

I liked the book better because somehow seeing them narrowly escape one explosion after another gets a little boring after a while (though somehow it seemed exciting in the book). And the scenes they added were lame, the seminary student who went to the club seemed like an excuse to throw in some scripture that wasn't mentioned in the book. I think if they would have left it like it was in the book and included a little more of the slow stuff that explains the characters (like the hotel scene with Kevin and Sam) and the theological stuff with Kevin's professor I would have liked the movie a decent bit more. Also, I don't like it when movies flash scenes at you for less than 2 seconds and then go back to showing a character's face, that always seems cheesey rather than dramatic or exciting.

Oh yeah, and I didn't like the closure they put on the riddle killer story, I think it was super lame and cheesey that they caught him from seeing a picture of a guy with a camera in a newspaper clipping. Also that he said "I can't stand copycats" was dorky too, and how did he figure out that kevin was actually his own stalker that fast? He figured it out after the first bomb, which was WAY before the cops even suspected it. Also, the bomb in the fridge was excessive and-like the club thing-just added to the monotony of the good guys narrowly escaping explosions.

And lastly, I didn't like the way they took out the stuff with the voice masking device. Even though it works they way they had Kevin playing his 2 alternate personalities, the voice masking bit in the book gave it a chance to slow down for you to chew on what was going on, it's like in the movie they were too afraid to give you any time to think so they just rushed to the big twist at the end. So yeah, the book was better, but the movie was worth watching.

Overall, I think that Thr3e is a step in the right direction for Christian movies, but not the revolution I was secretly hoping it would be. Also, I'm not a very good judge when it comes to this stuff, but I'd say the production and acting was pretty good (though I didn't like slater's voice).

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm not sure if I like the idea of Fox Faith Movies (the company that apparently put Thr3e out). I think that while it is very good for Christian movies to be put out and recognized as something that will make decent money from Christians, it shouldn't be marketed as an underground thing that's only for Christians but rather for everybody. I think that by having your movie put out by these guys it really takes away a huge section of the people you're trying to reach. Because Thr3e was released under this division of Fox rather than just Fox itself it got shoved to the side and didn't recieve any press at all, and as a result on opening day, the theater was nearly empty. There were maybe 20 people in the whole place at the 8:00 showing, my guess is that it's because you have to be a fan of Ted Dekker's books to have any idea that this movie was even being made (and even then you might still not know).

Wait, Thr3e is a Christian movie? I thought it was a horror flick?

Thr3e was written by Ted Dekker who like Frank Peretti has very suspensful & supernatural ideas in their plots. While I wouldn't call it a horror film, I would call this a pscyological thriller.

I enjoyed the movie although I feel it was hard for me to judge what someone who hasn't read the book would think about it. We went with a group of 9 people-3 who had read the book & 5 who hadn't. The 3 of us who had read the book really enjoyed it. Of the 5 who hadn't 1 liked it, 1 hated it & 3 didn't know what to think of it. Overall I agree with what Killerah said about the quality of the movie.

We also saw a preview for House which is based on the book written by both Frank Peretti & Ted Dekker. That will be a Christian horror movie.

Back