Thinking of picking up UT3?

devineministry

Hey guys

Just wanted to know, Is UT3 good? :) I enjoy the fps/mp games now more and more. TF2 is great and I almost picked up UT3 this morning but I didn't just wanted some opinions. :) Thanks!! I am trying to get away from the pay to play games.

I really enjoy UT3. It doesn't have quite the following as the older UT's for various reasons. The 2 major setbacks are the hardware requirements and the initial release was really unpolished and buggy. It's on patch 2 now with patch 3 not far away. It runs very well now and will get even better with patch 3.

I really like the gameplay of UT3. I find the movement in UT3 more enjoyable than the movement in UT2004. If your in doubt, give the Demo a try. The demo isn't near as good as the full game but it will give you a taste.

Download the demo here: http://files.filefront.com/Unreal+Tournament+3+Beta+Demo/;8780331;/fileinfo.html

Last edited:
Well quite frankly I greatly prefer Team Fortress 2's class based gameplay and style over Unreal 3. About the only thing I liked about Unreal 3 was the great guys in Toj that play it. However there are only a couple Toj'ers still playing Unreal 3. The chapter is still alive mind you but not on the level of Team Fortress 2. Here is my opinion on Unreal 3...

The Bad
Not much in the way of teamwork unless you run the freeze tag mod.
Die respawn, Die respawn, Die respawn, Die respawn, etc., etc. On a couple deathmatch games I'd actually feel a little nauseous from the non stop loop O' motion o_O.
Requires a higher end computer than TF2.
I don't like the sci-gothic art style (honestly for the latest additions to the game I think they borrowed heavily from 2 movies "The Chronicles of Riddick" and a bit of "War of the Worlds").
I don't like the single player plotline. It's one of those vengeance riddled things I find immoral.
You will need a higher level of twitchy aiming skills than TF2 if you want to win.
Many servers are blank.
...no spy class to play :p.

The Good
The graphic engine is beautiful.
It has some vehicles in the warfare mode.
Weapons are fairly balanced and all useful (more so than in Unreal Tournament 2004 but the rocket lancher is used a bit more than others IMO).
The collectors edition of the game comes with an editor and learning tutorials to make your own mods and maps.

If you do get the game our Unreal group still gets together once a month if they can and I am sure they would be happy to have you :).

Last edited:
Well quite frankly I greatly prefer Team Fortress 2's class based gameplay and style over Unreal 3.

TF2 is a sissy game :p(just kidding), not enough action and classes are not balanced enough IMHO. I don't like having to wait so long to respawn either. I also don't like the fact that TF2 doesn't have bots to play when the server is empty, it's really boring getting a server started when you are running around by yourself. To each his own i guess.

There is plenty of teamwork to be had in UT3 in the Warfare and Vehicle Capture the Flag gametypes ftw.

Last edited:
Whether you will enjoy UT 3 depends on you devineministry, as for gameplay, in my opinion is one of the most competitive styles on pc, not much is Team based unless you play TDM[Team DeathMatch] or CTF[Capture the Flag] or VCTF[Vehicle capture the flag] and Warfare, our server is running the Battle Freezetag mod, once a good Vote mod releases then we will also be able to pick our choice of gameplay as well as the Map, but if you ask me I would say Why Have you waited this long to buy it, I mean, ITS UNREAL TOURNAMENT, if you decide to buy, let us know so we can use you for Target Practice, JK[for that we have Mighty Gerbil, squeak], seriously let us know your Gamename so we can add you to our Friend list[mine is BlackBeard ] and get some action in :)

Last edited:
I have Unreal Tournament 3 for three reasons:
  1. I wanted to play with other Tribe of Judah members on our UT3 server.
  2. I loved UT2004 (more specifically, the Onslaught game mode).
  3. I've got a lot of love for Epic that dates back to my days downloading shareware from BBSs on dial-up. (ZZT ftw.)
My wife bought me the Collector's Edition for Christmas, back when it was about $60 USD retail. The price for the same product is now half that, so if you have the expendable income, I'd say grab it.

If nothing else, there's a fair chance that Epic's Make Something Unreal contest will inspire talented modmakers to develop an excellent mod. If you're going to play an excellent mod, you have to own the game the mod is based on. Just as Counter-Strike sold thousands, if not millions, of copies of Half-Life 1 (before CS itself went retail), a great UT3 mod could help increase sales for UT3 (and thus why Epic is willing to shell out $1 million to the contest winner).

I would say try the demo. I loved playing it, computer ran it nice and smooth while I get 20-30 FPS on TF2. T_T COD4 ran on ultrahigh great too. Darn Source, DARNEETT.

Oh, right. UT3 is real fast, the melee hammer is awesome (jumping 3 stories to land on some poor fool below for an insta-gib shot), I liked the graphics, but no real teamwork. And I hate VCTF. "Let's run Keerosene over with the manta when he's 90% to his base. SPLAT." ;_;

I also don't like the fact that TF2 doesn't have bots to play when the server is empty, it's really boring getting a server started when you are running around by yourself.

In any game there is room for improvement (unreal, cough, rocket launcher overused, cough :p). The point about no TF2 bots is well taken (and one I and others have had about TF2). It would be difficult to program them with any intelligence given the class factor but even bad bots would be welcome to help get a server started. Really the option could be left up to individual servers. Of course there are almost always people playing TF2 somewhere... unlike icky Unreal :p. Late one night I was online in Unreal 3 looking at deathmatch game servers and there were only 2 servers with people in them and one of those was half full o_O. Steam does have some pretty icky bugs itself though XD.

I don't like having to wait so long to respawn either...

I actually dislike the TF2 servers with instant respawn (of which there are many) it's like there is no penalty for dying and can make a 2fort match drag on forever and a day (I've been in matches lasting 4-5 hours eeeek XD). You can also learn valuable intel spec'ing for a few moments, sentry locations, where the intel has been dropped, hints on gameplay, not to mention cheering teammates on which is fun in itself :D.

There is plenty of teamwork to be had in UT3 in the Warfare and Vehicle Capture the Flag gametypes ftw.

As far as I remember I've never been in a warfare game with other Toj'ers. I never seem to find them on warfare servers back when I played 2004, only deathmatch ones. Most of the teamwork in warfare is not much more than attack, attack, attack, here let me use my link gun to heal your vehicle, attack, attack, repeat... Teamwork goes a bit deeper with classes that complment each other in TF2, helping other engineers build/defend things, pyros being spy defense for the engineers and snipers, placing dispensers to give infinite ammo to heavies, clearing sentries for others as a demo or spy, medic'ing, giving the intel to scouts because they run faster, deadly coordinated attacks with different classes, etc. In general TF2 rewards helping each other much more than warfare. Unfortunately, because of my mic/steam issues, most of my teamwork only comes as "the silent guy who kills the guys you are fighting or the enemy/sentry you didn't see that was going to kill you" but then I like being the mysterious superhero "Who was that masked Gerbil?!?!? :p".

TF2 is a sissy game (just kidding)...

Spoken like someone who has been backstabbed a few times.... pock, pock, me thinks your name should be Captain Chicken :p (kidding).

Unfortunately, because of my mic/steam issues, most of my teamwork only comes as "the silent guy who kills the guys you are fighting or the enemy/sentry you didn't see that was going to kill you" but then I like being the mysterious superhero "Who was that masked Gerbil?!?!? :p".

Admit it, you're a Mime in real life. You probably use hand gestures when you play. Mime's always kill people with knives. O_O

The Mighty Gerbil did start playing UT2K4 to game with Toj members, Secretly he plays everyday in SP mode, he is actually a decent shot[with the Rocket Launcher] J/K he is actually decent with all the weapons but is most proficient at making me laugh, he might be sarcastic by nature but it would be nice if you would drop in a match once in a while MG.
Keero, Mimes don't kill people with knives, they Imitate stabbing them with a knife.
TF 2 is not really my Cup of Tea either but I drop in on occasion for a game with Friends and isn't that what gaming is about :)
Cya all on the BattleField

Spoken like someone who has been backstabbed a few times.... pock, pock, me thinks your name should be Captain Chicken :p (kidding).

bock bock bock bgock :p. Now i've discovered the secret to getting the Mighty Gerbil out of his habitrail. All I have to do is pick on TF2 :eek:.

I never took to TF2 for whatever reason, probably my severe addiction to UT. I prefer the fast paced senseless killing to the slow team style games, although i really liked Unreal2 XMP which was team based. Nothing beats jumping over a Gerbils head and shooting him in the face with a flak cannon while doing a 180 degree spin in the air :p.

I think if your interested in a fps game , Unreal Tournament is just one of the foundation stepping stones into fun. I like respawn because I die to easily. As far as the rocket launcher it's fun to use. I like the rocket spirals and besides that everyone has the same rocket launcher. :) I like the goo gun too , sniper rifle, shock rifle & combo and others , shoot I like em all. w00t

btw. the dodge jumping is an awesome defensive move.

Last edited:
Admit it, you're a Mime in real life. You probably use hand gestures when you play. Mime's always kill people with knives. O_O

o_O o_O O.O :p :D :) :( T_T XD...

...Ok technically my annoyance abilities are deadly so maybe I am a mime O.O

...btw. the dodge jumping is an awesome defensive move.

Ok I admit to double tapping the a and d keys in heated TF2 fights and expecting to dodge :p

... let us know so we can use you for Target Practice, JK[for that we have Mighty Gerbil, squeak]

I can see you want to lose the OTHER leg pirate! :D

...it would be nice if you would drop in a match once in a while MG.
I'd want to but on those few occasions you guys are playing Unreal 3 I'd need X-fire on to know it and I am usually on steam nowadays T_T.

Just for an option what about the other popular fps Devine may want to look at "Call of Duty 4". I don't have it but it seems fairly popular. I've even seen a couple Toj'ers playing it on steam though there is not a COD chapter.

Oh yeah I love the high speed action. There isn't a game out there that plays as fast and as hard as UT. Respawn and kill kill kill. It makes some people car sick or is that game sick. :) :) It may be the 180 degree spins.

Where "O" where did Kraniac go! I miss his accuracy!!

No Worries MG, I can always hack down a sapling for another Peg Leg :) and as for not having Xfire on, NP, as I always have Steam on so check your Friends list there, and even if we don't play a game, there is always Chat :) :)

CS, I as well miss having Kraniac and everyone else in the games like we used to, one thing I don't miss though is his Accuracy, Man was he Accurate :)

Back