Thinking about a White Lion?

coldturkey49

Last edited:
OK, so you Fled, then Charged to The Thing and captured it. At which point you fought a Chosen for 5 min without killing him. Then, you died because my wife stopped healing you (she was busy placating her ranting husband). But we all died anyway. You then charged into the fray, hit a couple people and promptly died again. You run back and kill The Guy with The Thing. Congratulations on taking down a WE carrying The Thing. Next, you try another Chosen, a DoK, a WE, and few other odds and ends, only killing 1-2 (with help) before dying again. Then it's back at it, hacking and whacking, but not actually killing anything without help.

P.S. Kewl cat.

P.P.S. I'm just yankin' yer chain with the above (the first paragraph, not the P.S.). I actually enjoy playing my WL (only rank 13).

P.P.P.S. Watch the video before reading my post because it gives away the whole story.

P.P.P.P.S. As you saw, Samsomite co-starred in this epic comeback; autographs available upon request.

P.P.P.P.P.S. I should have posted all these separately to buff my post count. :/

Last edited:
OK, so you Fled, then Charged to The Thing and captured it. At which point you fought a Chosen for 5 min without killing him. Then, you died because my wife stopped healing you (she was busy placating her ranting husband). But we all died anyway. You then charged into the fray, hit a couple people and promptly died again. You run back and kill The Guy with The Thing. Congratulations on taking down a WE carrying The Thing. Next, you try another Chosen, a DoK, a WE, and few other odds and ends, only killing 1-2 (with help) before dying again. Then it's back at it, hacking and whacking, but not actually killing anything without help.

P.S. Kewl cat.

P.P.S. I'm just yankin' yer chain with the above (the first paragraph, not the P.S.). I actually enjoy playing my WL (only rank 13).

P.P.P.S. Watch the video before reading my post because it gives away the whole story.

P.P.P.P.S. As you saw, Samsomite co-starred in this epic comeback; autographs available upon request.

P.P.P.P.P.S. I should have posted all these separately to buff my post count. :/
P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Sam is a noob.

...and WL's do absurd damage.

ps == PostScript. It's latin. "post" means "after" and "script" means "writing". If you write something after the postscript, then that is a post-postscript, or pps, and something after THAT is ppps.

I started playing my WL as my main and am only lvl 13 at this pt. I have a few questions...I am not criticizing or anything so plz don't take my questions wrong. I am new to melee DPS so am just looking to try to understand to improve my play style.

I noticed that you kept your lion on passive. Why did you choose that instead of defensive or aggressive? I have been keeping mine on aggressive and just switching targets that way he is never idle.

I also didn't notice (I may have missed it?) you throw your axe at all while in pursuit... Is this pointless at higher lvls? At my current lvl it seems effective.

Do you think playing a guard for your healers is a fitting role for a WL?

I noticed that you use The "Hunter" buff ability. I have been specing that way but also see some good in the other specs. Why did you choose that spec?

Ok enough for now :) Thank you in advance

I keep my Lion on Passive due to PvE reasons(Back at lv 31), now that I am level 33, I use the tactic Loner, which is +25% DPS with no lion out at all.

I did not throw my axe probably because I forgot, or maybe I thought it was better to just kill a closer target.
I think it scales ok-ish as you level.

Protecting healers is difficult because we have no spam-able and reliable snare or stun (I know, the lion can snare, but spam-able AND reliable).
Hence, we cannot really 'protect' the caster that well.
We can kill whatever targets our casters before said caster dies.
But that is not true 'protection' :)
Try it out, maybe I was just no good at it.

Stance wise, I was in hunter because I have a tactic that increases my auto attack speed by 50% (aka, it doubles your auto-attack DPS).
At higher levels you do more damage through auto-attack than your abilities(as a WL), te tactic making the difference even more pronounced.
So I stay in hunter mode for the uber DPS.

Best you just find what you enjoy the most and do that. It is a game, so fun is the point, right?

Last edited:
So you keep your lion away, or out and on passive?

The Loner tactic sounds awesome, when did you get it?

I have learned (the hard way) to manually tell my pet when to attack. When Cheezburger is on "defensive" he attacks whatever I am attacking. That would not be an issue if he would not run after a mob I am trying to pull out of a group.

The "defensive" stance for the pet really is not defensive. I would much rather my pet wait for me to be hit than him attacking what I attack first.

Reactive would be more defensive than proactive in my opinion.

I put my pet on passive, that way he does not do anything stupid.

You get Loner at Rank 33( http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=9202 ), and it sky rockets your DPS if combined with:
Primal Fury -> http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=9189
Pack Hunting -> http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=9210
Brute Force -> http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=521

Once you get to the point where you can tech up to the tactic Pack Hunting, Get it.
It is in the Hunter Tree, and if you do a straight shot for it you can get it at Rank 23.
http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=19#7:128:0:0:0:0:25

Loner is a tactic all White Lions get at Rank 33.

And Primal Fury requires 6 points in the axeman tree.

Last edited:
I do agree that the cat tends to run after targets foolishly at times. I find it useful though to still keep him on defensive but still use the "attack that guy" button if he chooses the wrong target. I am quick to get him to passive and hit follow if he acts stupid.

In short I use all 3: passive, defensive, and even aggressive

I have macroed the attack button for the lion the ~ key on my keyboard.

In PVE I use that button and keep him on passive.

I heard the words Loner used alot, but wasn't sure what it meant, now I may have to brush off the wl and make it my main,

I was gonna do the sm just because it's lvl 19, but i really don't like it much lol, love the wl, just don't like the armor, wish they made it more detailed.

Back