"The Truth"

Skibabinz

So I was reading through some scripture the other day, when I came across the passage Romans 1:25 "Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.". Now I was curious about something, namely John 14:6 when Jesus says "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."; Would the truth of God be considered Jesus? And when they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, would that be the same as when people will fall for the lies of the anti-christ, and consider him to be the messiah instead of Jesus?

Perhaps I'm thinking about it wrong or something, but that was just an observation I made. Any and all opinions are welcome! :D

Context in Romans 1 is important. The text is specifically talking about those that joined sex cults (for lack of a better term coming to mind). They twisted God's word and justified their sin by saying that they were participating in something God-honoring because they were indulging in something that God had given them... they said they were admiring God's creation in beautiful women.

Which on the surface, sounds good.

But when you stop to consider that a man who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery, these people participating in anything with temple prostitutes were sinning.

It's completely different than Jesus being "God in Flesh". Additionally, Jesus is God, not created by God.

Very interesting question. I love when things like that pop out!

And very well informed reply Durrick. Thanks!

Here's what some commentaries say (got to love E-Sword!!):

Vincent's Word Study: Truth of God - Equivalent to the true God.

Wesley - Who changed the truth - The true worship of God. Into a lie - False, abominable idolatries. And worshipped - Inwardly. And served - Outwardly.

Barnes - Who changed the truth of God - This is a repetition of the declaration in Rom_1:23, in another form. The phrase, “the truth of God” is a Hebrew phrase, meaning “the true God.” In such a case, where two nouns come together, one is employed as an adjective to qualify the other. Most commonly the latter of two nouns is used as the adjective, but sometimes it is the former, as in this case. God is called “the true God” in opposition to idols, which are called false gods. There is but one real or true God, and all others are false.

Gill - Who changed the truth of God into a lie,.... Not the truth of the Gospel, which they were unacquainted with; but that which might be known of God as true, and was known of them by the light of nature; or the true God himself, whom they "changed into a lie"; by ascribing to false deities, which were lying vanities, those things which were known of God; and by worshipping them instead of him: for they

Other scriptures regarding this truth: Rom_1:18; 1Th_1:9; 1Jo_5:20

Back