The True Danger Behind Modern Music

Tek7 said:
I'm a big fan of quality jazz, especially David Sanborn. I'm convinced that Sanborn is not human, because no human can do what he does with the saxaphone. It's physically impossible.

I also dig funk-jazz fusion, especially any album by Candy Dulfer.

The Sanborn comment made me lol. Sanborn and Dulfer kick butt, and not to leave out the newer performers or varients of jazz, they are awesome. I am just partial to the classic cool jazz of Desmond, Brubeck, Guaraldi, etc.

Killerah said:
I tend to only listen to rap that's intelligent too. I know I mentioned them before in this same thread, but given your situation I think you might like this song. It's Mars Ill - Inside Out. The sound quality is terrible, but what can you expect? You'll have to buy the CD if you want full quality.

I liked it and the message. I remember when rap first got popular and groups like Public Enemy addressed the social and racial issues like no one ever has, unfortunatley you don't see much of that style anymore. I'm saddened to see what was once a way to vent and possibly to escape that life turned into the decadent and immoral trash it its now. And it's just not rap and hip-hop, rock and heavy metal have examples too.

Not the change the subject and to add to my previous post, but I see a trend of finding God only after commiting horrendous crimes, I just wish more emphasis was put on not commiting the crimes in the first place, but I guess later is better than never. I should put a disclaimer on my previous post: I don't think all hip-hop or rap is bad, it's just seems to me everytime you turn on the tv or radio you're hearing about money, guns, degrading women and bling. Pimps and thugs are becoming the role models... not for my son God help me.

I've never heard of TobyMac or Mars III before. Since I'm not into rap that much can either Killerah or ChickenSoup please post some popular Christian rappers, I'd be interested in hearing some of it.

Thanks guys.

KJ-52. He's done concerts at my youth group. He's funny at least. His music is a bit stale and his rhythmic patterns and rhymes aren't really super-impressive, but if you like rappers to make you laugh, you would enjoy him.

Tek, do you like the Quantic Soul Orchestra? You were talking about jazz funk fusion and I immediately thought of them. Shagz and I are both big fans of their work.

As far as Christian rap (and rap in general) goes I like:
Mars Ill (IMO the best christian rapper there is)
American Sasquatch (scroll down for the mp3s)
Pigeon John

That's about it, sadly there just isn't very much good Christian rap. The rapper in Mars Ill is really good though.

Also, I can't stand tobymac, and I would say that the only reason he's so popular is because he's from DC Talk. Seriously, here's some lyrics from the song "Extreme Days"

"Just the other day I saw a kid
Who flipped his hat to the back and he called it a lid
You know what else he did?
He stacked books from the floor to the ceiling
Said somethin bout trying to get to heaven
And he was only eleven
but he climbed to the top with outstretched arms
And he screamed at the top of his lungs"

umm... what?

On the subject of KJ-52. I dunno, he's alright, when he makes "serious" songs they just come off as sounding all the same to me. Like kraniac said, he's more entertaining live than on CD. I've seen him live, and heard some of recorded music, the live show was alot more enjoyable, he's a funny guy.

T-Bone is another Christian rapper ... he had a great song on the soundtrack for (and a part in) The Fighting Temptations. I have mixed feelings about the movie, there being some messages in it that I don't care for ... but the music in it is outstanding Gospel music.

Berean Todd said:
The Fighting Temptations. I have mixed feelings about the movie, there being some messages in it that I don't care for ... but the music in it is outstanding Gospel music.

w00t! I got to actually work on the set of that movie! I never saw the movie, but I was there to set up a plasma TV and a DVD player in somebodies corporate office. That was pretty cool to see the ins and outs of a movie set. While we were there, they were filming the scene where Cuba Gooding JR. was trying to make some sort of corporate pitch. I never got to meet Cuba, but I can say I was in the same room as him, since the walls of the set didnt have a roof, you know technically speaking. And I did get to hear him delivering some lines, and watch him on the monitors the director was watching. So basically Im pretty much famous! If anybody wants an autograph, just send me 20 bucks and Ill mail it right out. :p BTW the movie was filmed in Atlanta, and Social Circle. Okay back on topic....:D

"Just the other day I saw a kid
Who flipped his hat to the back and he called it a lid
You know what else he did?
He stacked books from the floor to the ceiling
Said somethin bout trying to get to heaven
And he was only eleven
but he climbed to the top with outstretched arms
And he screamed at the top of his lungs"

umm... what?

"Move out my way
Give up the mic
X to me is extremely Christ
Livin up in me
Like it or not
Put an "X" on my chest
Cuz X marks the spot!"

you forgot the rest of the lyrics. See, now its justified :p

I dunno, it still seems cheesey to me. I've never heard anything by tobymac that has moved me at all, or struck me as clever or has made me think. That's not the only stuff that makes me like music, but I haven't really heard anything from toby that really interests me. /end elitest jerk rant

Cheesey? Whatever, to each his own, but at least include all of the lyrics if you're going to say bad stuff 'bout tobymac, the way the lyrics were originally posted it made it seem like he sings about screaming people all the time.

Yes, it does... those lyrics talk about a kid who says that X is extremely Christ, so you might as well put an X on his chest cuz X marks the spot... as in, he had Christ in his heart...

ChickenSoup said:
Yes, it does... those lyrics talk about a kid who says that X is extremely Christ, so you might as well put an X on his chest cuz X marks the spot... as in, he had Christ in his heart...

Makes sense to me, even though I don't like rap music

Back