The transmutation of bread and wine

PapaToad

I have a question?

The transmutation of bread and wine, the body and blood of the Lord Savior Jesus Christ. What is it actually, are we actually using some spiritual prowess to transform the bread and wine or is it supposed to be symbolic??

What is the goal of this, only remembrance of him, or is their profound spiritual mean here. Its something I never really got? Or I never really questioned before now and seemed a good healthily topic.

CCan I get a good explaination of what it is and whats the meaning behind it all?

As I understand it the process is symbolic in Protestant churches and is supposed to be literal in the case of Catholic churches.

I mean - we've all tasted blood and flesh, right? Does it taste like blood and flesh to you?

Eon said:
As I understand it the process is symbolic in Protestant churches and is supposed to be literal in the case of Catholic churches.

Well, somewhat ... Catholics (eastern and western) believe in transsubstantiation, which is that the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ. Now some Protestants (for instance Lutherans and I believe Episcopals as well) hold to what is called Consubstantiation, which is that although the bread and wine do not literally become the body and blood of Christ, that Christ is in some way in the bread and wine. Then your more mainline evangelical denominations are the ones that hold to a purely symbolic nature of the bread and wine.

My pastor had this to say.. Hope this helps:) ...

Holy Communion
The Lord's Supper - communion, consisting of the elements --bread and the fruit of the vine (juice)-- is the symbol expressing our sharing the divine nature of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 1:4) a memorial of his suffering and death (1 Corinthians 11:26) and a prophecy of His second coming (1 Corinthians 11:26) and all can partake in this remembrance until he comes again…

In the same way each year we remember July 4th in a special way…Christians remember Jesus’ atoning death and resurrection by communion…

The bread and wine are a picture of death…the separation of body and life, the separation of flesh and blood.

Back