The Peacemaking Church - Session 2 - Nov 3rd notes

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
Here are the notes for tonight.

Learning together

1. The three dimensions of peace:

• Peace with ______________.
    God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in [Christ], and through him to reconcile to himself all things...by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. (Col 1:19-20)
  • Peace with ______________ -- unity.
    If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. (Rom 12:18)
  • Peace within ______________.
    The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever. (Isa 32:17)

If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea. (Isa 48:18)
Inner peace is a by-product of being right with God and others.

2. Jesus' ______________ depends on peace and unity in the church.
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. All men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another. (John 13:34-35; see John 17:20-23)

3. Jesus calls us to seek reconciliation ______________ of worship.
Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. (Matt 5:23-24)

4. Peacemaking shows that we take the ______________ seriously.
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. (Eph 4:1-3)

5. Even our ______________ should be resolved within the church!
If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgement instead of before the saints? ... If you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church! (1 Cor 6:1-8)

Key Principle: Living at peace is a key to our Christian witness.

Sorry couldn't edit the above post, had to repost to put the answers down.

Learning together

1. The three dimensions of peace:

• Peace with God.
    God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in [Christ], and through him to reconcile to himself all things...by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. (Col 1:19-20)
  • Peace with others -- unity.
    If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. (Rom 12:18)
  • Peace within yourself.
    The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever. (Isa 32:17)

If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea. (Isa 48:18)
Inner peace is a by-product of being right with God and others.

2. Jesus' reputation depends on peace and unity in the church.
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. All men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another. (John 13:34-35; see John 17:20-23)

3. Jesus calls us to seek reconciliation ahead of worship.
Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. (Matt 5:23-24)

4. Peacemaking shows that we take the gospel seriously.
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. (Eph 4:1-3)

5. Even our lawsuits should be resolved within the church!
If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgement instead of before the saints? ... If you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church! (1 Cor 6:1-8)

Key Principle: Living at peace is a key to our Christian witness.

Back