The Peacemaking Church - Session 1 - Oct 27th notes

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
Sorry about posting these late; I am going to try to get notes up before each week along with posting some additional notes after the fact. Sorry for being late this time around! :eek:

Learning Together

1. What is conflict?
  • A difference in opinion or purpose that frustrates someone's goals or desires.
2. The Four G's: A God-centered response to conflict
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks, or the church of God -- even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (1 Cor 10:31-11:1)

• Glorify God (1 Cor 10:31)
    How can I please and honor God in this situation?
  • Get the log out of your eye. (Matt 7:5)
    How can I show Jesus' work in me by taking responsibility for my contribution to this conflict?
  • Gently restore. (Gal 6:1)
    How can I lovingly serve others by helping them take responsibility for their contribution to this conflict?
  • Go and be reconciled. (Matt 5:24)
    How can I demonstrate the forgiveness of God and encourage a reasonable solution to this conflict?

3. The Foundational G: the Gospel of Christ
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. (1 Tim 1:15)

4. How do we respond to conflict?
  • Escape responses: Peace-faking
  • Attack responses: Peace-breaking
  • Peacemaking responses: Peacemaking

slope.jpg

(http://www.peacemaker.net/site/c.aqKFLTOBIpH/b.958151/k.5236/The_Slippery_Slope_of_Conflict.htm)

Personal Peacemaking:
Overlook an offense (Prov 19:11)
Reconciliation (Matt 5:23-24)
Negotiation (Phil 2:3-4)

Assisted Peacemaking:
Mediation (Matt 18:16)
Arbitration (1 Cor 6:1-8)
Accountability (Matt 18:17-20)

Key Principle: Conflict is an opportunity!

Back