THe open source world jsut changed mightily

Have you ever used an Oracle DB? The things are management nightmares. MySQL is easier to install, easier to manage, and easier on system resources than Oracle is. Oracle can learn tons from MySQL I think.

And Oracle is capable of doing far more than MySQL is (as is MSSQL for that matter). That's not technology...that's user experience.

It can't really be *that* bad is it? The last time I looked at it was years ago, but those are some pretty fundamental concepts as far as databases go.

MySQL does not support them out of the box. It requires INNODB, which is basically another database as a plugin. And yes, it really is that bad. Currently they are working on the Falcon engine, but that will be a long time until it is production ready.

so...that being the case, how are all of these sites and applications running on this platform? this seems like a joke.

the sad thing is that I know of companies that actually run this for production systems...THAT THEY SELL THINGS ON. honestly...can they not spare a few $ and pick up a cheap version of MSSQL at least?

Good news for me, I work for an Oracle partner and provider data center. We can get away with charging 30k/month per oracle DB server. Keeps me employed :)

so...that being the case, how are all of these sites and applications running on this platform? this seems like a joke.

the sad thing is that I know of companies that actually run this for production systems...THAT THEY SELL THINGS ON. honestly...can they not spare a few $ and pick up a cheap version of MSSQL at least?
ah..as with anything microsoft there is no cheap mssql..you have to buy windows server AND the user cals(licenses) or pay out the nose for an unlimited user version of windows server THEN you can ge the mssql licenses..again either per user or pay out hte nose for the unlimited licenese..mssql is NOT cheap

For the cost of a line of business application? SQL Server + Windows Server is quite inexpensive...Oracle, on the other hand, is not. And you don't need unlimited (i.e. per server) licenses for this.

if you want to run the server without needing to worry about cals yes you do....and if it's going to be on the web you have to have the unlimited user license..As a registered Microsoft partner i'm very familiar with this.

noo! sun has been around forever....i feel like they just gave up, the owner just was tired of running it and wanted a few K's, its just sad :(

Back