The Natural World

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Jan. 16 2005,12:59)]How, looking at this indiscriminate tragedy, should I, or anyone else, feel enough love for your God to seek Him out.  Unless of course, God is a bully and can't get anyone to follow Him any other way.  (Although He DOES have a track record of that now doesn't He?)
You know He exists!!!!!! It would also seem from this statement, you are prefectly aware of your need to seek Him out!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Marcylene @ Jan. 16 2005,1:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Jan. 16 2005,12:59)]How, looking at this indiscriminate tragedy, should I, or anyone else, feel enough love for your God to seek Him out.  Unless of course, God is a bully and can't get anyone to follow Him any other way.  (Although He DOES have a track record of that now doesn't He?)
You know He exists!!!!!!  It would also seem from this statement, you are prefectly aware of your need to seek Him out!
What exactly is your thought process in coming to that conclusion Marcy?

Um, but that's taken out of context...he was referring to the irony in searching for God on the basis of terrible natural disasters such as the tsunami.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So what you're saying is, "too bad for those that died, let's not talk about them, let's talk about the living?"

uummm, no. What I was saying is that there is always a chance to grow closer to God - Natural disaster, waking up in the morning, driving to work, responding to posts in a msg board, etc

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] According to religioustolerance.org, 86% of Indonesia is Muslim, with only 6% being Protestant Christian. You're telling me that 86% of those people that died are now warming a spot in ####? Since we're talking about a 4th-5th world country...how many of those that died had the opportunity to learn Christianity? Too bad, so sad though, right?

Too bad so sad?
rock.gif
I hope this is not your opinion. In all honesty, of those who died, I do not know how many had any exposure to Christianity. It saddens me that so many did not die with an assurance of salvation. However, since Christianity had been introduced to the region, I wonder how many that died had chosed against Christianity. (sigh)

This provides the example to which I was refering. As cliche as it sounds, you don't know when you are going to die. Seems a bit risky living without a guarantee of heaven

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How, looking at this indiscriminate tragedy, should I, or anyone else, feel enough love for your God to seek Him out. Unless of course, God is a bully and can't get anyone to follow Him any other way. (Although He DOES have a track record of that now doesn't He?)

It may not be love that causes one to seek God.

Regarding the creation of evil:

How can God allow for free choice, without providing choices?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Um, but that's taken out of context...he was referring to the irony in searching for God on the basis of terrible natural disasters such as the tsunami.

Bingo. Sorry Marcy, you read that out of context.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]uummm, no. What I was saying is that there is always a chance to grow closer to God - Natural disaster, waking up in the morning, driving to work, responding to posts in a msg board, etc

How does killing hundreds of thousands of people in a tsunami give them a chance to grow closer to God? You said yourself, those that didn't believe, whether they were exposed to Christianity or not, are rotting in #### this very second.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
This provides the example to which I was refering. As cliche as it sounds, you don't know when you are going to die. Seems a bit risky living without a guarantee of heaven

This is Pascal's Wager, which I have already pointed out as being flawed and illogical.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It may not be love that causes one to seek God.

What other reason should there be?

Does God want us to follow Him because we genuinely love Him and choose to be with Him, or does God wants us to follow Him for no other reason than fear of ####?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Regarding the creation of evil:

How can God allow for free choice, without providing choices?

God showing up and saying "HI" has absolutely no bearing on Free Will. We still have a choice to follow Him or not, just like everyone else did in the OT. In fact, if you want to examine your question LOGICALLY, God is actually IMPEDING your Free Will by offering you a good choice and a bad choice. Do you want heaven or do you want ####? You're telling me that choice doesn't tip the scales of Free Will more one way than the next? As I have said before, that's not a choice, that's an ultimatum.

Ok, we are not going down the free will argument again. Stopping it now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How does killing hundreds of thousands of people in a tsunami give them a chance to grow closer to God? You said yourself, those that didn't believe, whether they were exposed to Christianity or not, are rotting in #### this very second.

I am referring to those who are still living. At any point in life there is a chance to grow closer to God. (Please focus on the survivors for just a minute. We can address those who were killed in the tsunami after this point)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does God want us to follow Him because we genuinely love Him and choose to be with Him, or does God wants us to follow Him for no other reason than fear of ####?

Psalms 111:10The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow His instructions have good insight. His praise endures forever.

Please consider the definitions of the word fear

Fear (Original Word = hary) fear, terror, fearing

1. fear, terror
2. awesome or terrifying thing (object causing fear)
3. fear (of God), respect, reverence, piety
4. revered

no i have not read this entire post, just DV's first one and want to make a quick comment

I find natural disasters to be highly beautiful and awe inspiring.

i was in FL when Charley and the other hurricanes hit, i was right near Port Charolate (hardest hit area basicly destroyed) just south about 40 miles or so in Fort myers. i spent much of the time during the hurricane outside on my back porch (yes i am a moron)
as far as the tsunami i find them just as beautiful.

such raw power in nature, so much we do not understand. there is usually more power in one of these storms than what a nuclear plant makes in a yr or so. (random i dont know if it is true or not).

Now i am sure others have mention this is a fallen world and thus isnt perfect like God wanted it to be for us and so these storms happen blah blah blah blah...

Sorry but i would find life highly boring, if everything was perfect and handed to me so nice and neatly.

A wise man once said
"There is nothing so unnatural as the commonplace."

What is the meaning of human life, or of organic life altogether? To answer this question at all implies a religion. Is there any sense then, you ask, in putting it? I answer, the man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life.

Albert Einstein

I'm glad you find natural disasters beautiful LOJ.

Somehow I doubt any of the survivors of the recent tragedy would agree with you, and I'm pretty darn sure none of the dead ones would agree either if they could speak.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am referring to those who are still living. At any point in life there is a chance to grow closer to God. (Please focus on the survivors for just a minute. We can address those who were killed in the tsunami after this point)

I still fail to realize how a survivor of this disaster, that lost everything they own including loved ones, can look back on the devastation and see God in the picture. And if they DO, what would prompt them to follow this being that destroyed everything they hold dear? How do you respect and revere a being that does that. Keep in mind that this survivor is living in abject squalor, trying to find a drop of water to drink and hoping for a food packet to calm their starving belly.

in response to my post, Jesus time there WERE disasters. ever since adam sinned... the garden of eden WAS perfect, but it probably doesn't exist anymore... >.> and do you expect everything to still be perfect? no.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I still fail to realize how a survivor of this disaster, that lost everything they own including loved ones, can look back on the devastation and see God in the picture.  And if they DO, what would prompt them to follow this being that destroyed everything they hold dear?

I can't speak to this particular disaster but I can speak on having some limited experience with hardship. When I was young my family suffered the loss of everything we had but the clothes on our backs because of a fire. The only other thing that was saved was my mother’s car. A fireman moved it moments before the brick wall of the 4 story building fell on where it was parked. Granted we did receive aid, most notably from the Salvation Army, and one of our cousins provided a roof over our heads until we found a place to live. I understand that the tsunami victims have it much harder than we did. My point is simply that my family did experience devastating loss and never lost site of God. There were several miracles that night that saved our lives. I learned at a very early age that there is always hope in Jesus. Over the years I've learned that during the hard times of my life that is when I have grown spiritually and as a result my love for God increases.
I will never understand why things happen as they do. But because of what I've learned in the Bible and my experiences over the years have born proof that God's word can be trusted, I trust God to care for me even in the hardest of times

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SilentAssassin @ Jan. 17 2005,10:26)]in response to my post, Jesus time there WERE disasters. ever since adam sinned... the garden of eden WAS perfect, but it probably doesn't exist anymore... >.> and do you expect everything to still be perfect? no.
How do you KNOW it was perfect?

If it was PERFECT, why was the serpent allowed in the Garden to deceive Eve?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (URACorpse @ Jan. 18 2005,4:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I still fail to realize how a survivor of this disaster, that lost everything they own including loved ones, can look back on the devastation and see God in the picture. And if they DO, what would prompt them to follow this being that destroyed everything they hold dear?

I can't speak to this particular disaster but I can speak on having some limited experience with hardship. When I was young my family suffered the loss of everything we had but the clothes on our backs because of a fire. The only other thing that was saved was my mother’s car. A fireman moved it moments before the brick wall of the 4 story building fell on where it was parked. Granted we did receive aid, most notably from the Salvation Army, and one of our cousins provided a roof over our heads until we found a place to live. I understand that the tsunami victims have it much harder than we did. My point is simply that my family did experience devastating loss and never lost site of God. There were several miracles that night that saved our lives. I learned at a very early age that there is always hope in Jesus. Over the years I've learned that during the hard times of my life that is when I have grown spiritually and as a result my love for God increases.
I will never understand why things happen as they do. But because of what I've learned in the Bible and my experiences over the years have born proof that God's word can be trusted, I trust God to care for me even in the hardest of times
Thanks for sharing your personal experience with us, as always, it is welcome.

However, this thread is very particular, calling into question "natural" disasters that God, being the omnimax intelligent designer, created.

I have a paper to write so I'm making this brief.

Why must we suffer for God's glory? Can't He glorify Himself within the trinity? I imagine He can do a better job than we can anyway, right?

So many people enduring eternal torment for the glory of a "merciful" God. Meh, I'd go into a rant but it's pointless and would take too much time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xel @ Jan. 18 2005,9:47)]I have a paper to write so I'm making this brief.

Why must we suffer for God's glory? Can't He glorify Himself within the trinity? I imagine He can do a better job than we can anyway, right?

So many people enduring eternal torment for the glory of a "merciful" God. Meh, I'd go into a rant but it's pointless and would take too much time.
Amen!

We were not created to suffer for His glory. We were created to praise Him. It was when man made the choice to sin that the suffering came into the world.

That does lead to the pondering....
if man had not fallen, would there be natural disasters? (personal opinion not included)

Gen

PFFT!

Man HAD to fall because that is the way God wanted it. I don't understand where this fascination with free will comes from. God has a long history of impeding man's free will.

Gen, you said, "It was when man made the choice to sin that the suffering came into the world." Are you sure that's correct? Do you believe that natural disasters didn't exist before the fall of man? They could have easily existed in the world, but not inside the Garden of Eden.

That said, I must once again point us to the topic at hand. How do natural disasters point to the existence of God? If the beauty in the world leads one to believe in an intelligent designer, what do natural disasters say about the design?

If you have your kid go do something BAD at school, it wouldn't be your fault. If your kid sinned, it wouldn't be your fault, even though you ALLOWED it to happen by allowing them to go to the classroom BY THEMSELVES. So? You are so hung up on those things...
biggrin.gif
it's good to talk about them and discuss. but i think we've already answered that question. or i have just now.
laugh.gif

The problem with that analogy is that a parent does not design/create the mind of their child nor does a parent completely dictate the environment of their child.

What I'm saying is this..God gave you a mind that will react to different environments/circumstances in a certain way. For instance, some people will be very open and talkative in a big crowd of people while others simply want nothing more then to be invisible.

So then, this brings on the following question. If God did not want man to fall why did He allow Satan into the garden? "I know that if this serpent is allowed into the garden and talks to you guys the human race will fall and people will suffer and go to #### and all that, but I'll let it happen anyway." I am inclined to think that God wanted man to fall, did He not? Was that not part of His grand plan? So then, what is worse? Throwing man into a pit of hungry lions or being one of those lions yourself?

But man chose, right? He chose to do those bad things that got him to ####. He chose to not accept Christ and end up enduring eternal torment, right? But, when God designed our minds to react to different circumstances in a certain way, He knew what the result would be. Why would He design the minds of people to react in a way that He did not want them to react? Is He not perfect? Certainly God did not make a mistake?!?

God works in mysterious ways? I am inclined to disagree. We bleed, He is glorified. We worship, He is glorified. He works for nothing more then His glory. This includes loving man and killing man. Thanks God, keep up the good work
biggrin.gif

(If that did not make any sense I'll be happy to post a more coherent post later on when I'm awake)

Again, it's like from your DOG'S perspective. Imagine him trying to know about you as much as you know about yourself. Silly. He would know very little. Same thing about God. Our words express HUMAN experiances. So they fail to capture God's portrait very well.

Back