The mesmer thread

Kunkali

So i decided to try out the mesmer. Any good builds and weapon combos plus fighting tactics for leveling this class any of you would like to share?

I've got a mesmer to mid-twenties so far. Staff and Sword/Pistol seem to be a very popular weapon choice, but I'm questioning it. With other professions, I find myself picking two different weapons for versatility. On Guardian, for example, greatsword to mow down groups of mobs, then scepter/shield for when things get heated and I need to get some range and defense going (overaggro, or champion fights).

On the face of things, Staff and Sword/Pistol seem to make sense for the same reason. Conditions/range on one weapon, melee/high damage on the other. In practice, though, Mesmer seems built to do a lot of weapon switching. You only get one phantasm on a given weapon set, so if you are going with a phantasm build and relying on them to do a lot of damage, you're going to be swapping back and forth to keep two up. If you are going clone spam, then you'll need to do weapon swapping so that you can throw out three illusions, shatter, then swap to get fresh cooldowns for three more illusions.

Because of that, it seems like the two weapons sets need to work hand in hand, rather than having two that shine in very different circumstances.

I don't know where that leaves me with my ideal weapon set, but it might be something more like staff and scepter/something. Still working that out (been playing my Guardian a lot since I decided to rethink my Mesmer weapons).

That YouTube Mesmer guide is very well done. I've watched all the videos, and it's clear that the creator of the videos is a much more skilled player than me, but I still think I could use his leveling build to good effect. I think the basic takeaway from his guide is that Staff is just too good not to use. The secondary weapon set is more up for debate, but he recommends Sword+Focus which I like a lot, though Sword+Torch is also really fun.

Yeah my thoughts as well. I tried using torch in the dungeons and while it offers more utility, the ability to pull the mobs around with the #4 skill on the focus, is also very handy.

I can't say much about the build of the mesmer, as for tactics...

Mesmer's OWN the dark room in the WvW jumping puzzle...

Mesmer will probably be the next thing I level, good stuff in this thread.

I'm currently running a condition build, 0/20/20/0/30. Staff primarily, which so far works well for farming in Orr, and should be awesome in WvW (though I haven't got to try it yet). Rabid (condition damage with secondary toughness/precision) gear, almost all exotic. I'm usually juggling a handful of mobs spreading conditions and boons with bouncing attacks and bleeds from illusion crits, and have good survivability.

Now I'm looking at starting into dungeons, I'm wondering what other Mesmer players are finding to work. Can I stick with a modified version of this build and keep the gear? I'm guessing stacking bleeds and other conditions on bosses in dungeons would be good, and with chaos storm and staff attack bounces the build will put out boons for the melee players, but mostly I see people talking shatter builds for PvE. Do I need a different build and gear set for dungeon work?

EDIT: After a little more reading it looks like some are doing something along these lines for dungeons and focusing on the support aspect with success. Good to know.

Last edited:
i didn't watch the guides but i seem to do pretty well in WvW and pve with a power build (30,20,0,0,20). in pvp staff is tops... almost unquestionably if you will, however in pve i'm finding greatsword and sword/sword to be best for raw damage output (blurred frenzy and ph. swordsman both hit like a truck). one tip i have for those interested in power based mesmer is go all out power and get your vitality from
a few pieces of valkyrie gear. power will both increase your damage and that of your phantasms. currently zeatricksyuno is at 3489 attack power and 29% crit... pretty nasty imo. (could be more crit if i dropped the valkyrie pieces for berserker but power does more unmitigated damage and the vitality at around 20k hp @80 is nice)

Back