The Legend of Zelda

Joshinator

Christian Gamers Alliance TeamSpeak 3 Server Opera
Alright fellas.

I have something to admit. Other than playing wind walker for a couple minutes, I have never actually played through a zelda game.

I want to see about changing that. I would like some nerds to tell me in what order to play the games, and which games need playing. If any of you could do me that favor, I'd be very happy.

Thanks for your nerd understanding.

I have an SP, a GC, and I can get a n64 dirt cheap.

I quit Nintendo console games after the N64 so I can only advise on ye old ones. You young pups may not be able to stand the original graphics and drier stories of the first two Nes ones even if they are good games. Though the 16 bit Super Nes TLOZ:A link to the past is still quite charming in my opinion. In fact I think many 16 bit games have retained more charm than the awkward looking early 3D N64 titles including TLOZ:Ocarina of Time. If you do go directly to the N64 TLOZ: Ocarina of Time it is worth playing but to me it wasn't as good or as much of a challenge as TLOZ:A link to the past (also Tek hates the water temple in Ocarina though I do not). Finally the last TLOZ game I played was N64's Majora's Mask. It's more like a marginal spin off with re-used art assets from Ocarina of Time. You could skip it safely, it's not a bad game but perhaps not worth the effort comparatively.

Last edited:
Must plays in bold. My favorites followed by hearts (<3). The only reasonable timeline is that Skyward happens before Ocarina, after that its anyone's guess.
Of course you gotta play Ocarina of Time after you play Skyward
Sword
(<3) (SS being the prequel to OoT) if you want to play them in order.

Then Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask, Wind Waker(<3), Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks.

A Link to the Past and other notable titles include Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons (<3), Minish Cap, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures.

Last edited:
Playing Ocarina of Time after playing Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword may have you throwing your Gamecube controller or Classic Controller across the room. OoT was a groundbreaking game, but the controls are downright awkward compared to the Wii Remote controls in TP and SS. If you don't have nostalgia to tint the experience, I don't think I could recommend OoT in good conscience.

If you want to play an amazing Zelda game, I recommend Okami. :p

On a more serious note: I really enjoyed most the DS Zelda games, but the repeating dungeon in PH and the static travel time (i.e. no warps, just trains running at a set speed) in ST nearly ruined the experiences for me. Similarly, the pacing in SS starting at approximately the 60% mark and the Spirit Realm trials made me want to throw my controller across the room. All three games (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword) were great games overall, but each had at least one glaring issue that could have been easily avoided.

And yes, I just complained about the pacing of SS after recommending Okami. Sections of Okami did tend to drag on a bit, but, overall, the game was so excellent that I didn't really care. It's one of the very, very few games in which I've ever earned a 100% complete (100 Stray Beads, w00t!), which, given my gaming ADD, is a glowing recommendation.

Back to Zelda: I've made it to the Dark World in Link to the Past and plan to play Wind Waker and Minish Cap at some point. I may skip Majora's Mask entirely after playing through OoT, but the darker tone and the "three day" thing did pique my interest.

(about Majora's Mask) You could skip it safely, it's not a bad game but perhaps not worth the effort comparatively.

I found Majora's Mask to be the more interesting of the two N64 Zelda games personally. I think it holds up a lot better than Ocarina of Time due to it's unique mechanics. Ocarina is great, but later games in the series did what it did better.

If you have a Gamcube my advice would be to see if you can get your hands on the collectors edition bundle with the first two games in the series and the two N64 entries combined. It might be too expensive though, since it only came with certain bundles originally.

Back