The Job Search(TM) 2009

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
A new year, a new prayer thread on the job search. I figured I'd start a new thread rather than bump an old thread with several pages of posts to read through.

A quick summary for those not already familiar with my story: I left my job in August 2007 to travel with my wife during her clinical rotations. I worked what jobs I could find until she completed her graduate program in May 2008 and started seeking full-time and long-term employment in mid-May.

Eight months later, I'm still unemployed. In that time, I created an all-new resume, applied for countless jobs, made several contacts at local businesses and commercial organizations, read through and completed assignments for (almost all of) 48 Days To The Work You Love (which, to be fair, would probably have been of more use in a healthy economy), prayed, and asked people to pray.

I've prioritized the job search over my duties as President of the Christian Gamers Alliance and Tribe of Judah. I've prioritized the job search over my writing.

Still, eight months later, I'm unemployed.

I'm posting today to ask you all to pray for a boost in my morale. I try to remain positive, but it's very difficult when I've been out of work for so long.

I have a four-year degree, over five years experience in the information technology field, and I'm reasonably well-spoken. I understand the economy is in terrible shape and I understand I'm looking for work in a much smaller job market than I'm used to, but it's still very frustrating to apply to so many jobs, follow up on those applications, and be told time and time and time again that "the position has been filled."

I've prioritized the job search over my duties as President of the Christian Gamers Alliance and Tribe of Judah. I've prioritized the job search over my writing.

Still, eight months later, I'm unemployed.

I'm posting today to ask you all to pray for a boost in my morale.
Praying, that I can do Tek! Just remember all your blessings. You have a great wife (or at least you never get tired of telling us :) ), lots of people who like you on CGA and Toj, and most of all the love of Jesus!

I have a four-year degree, over five years experience in the information technology field, and I'm reasonably well-spoken. I understand the economy is in terrible shape and I understand I'm looking for work in a much smaller job market than I'm used to, but it's still very frustrating to apply to so many jobs, follow up on those applications, and be told time and time and time again that "the position has been filled."

It's all becuase of this grievous error you made in that text, here I'll fix it...

I have a four-year degree, over five years experience in the information technology field, and I'm very well-spoken. I understand the economy is in terrible shape and I understand I'm looking for work in a much smaller job market than I'm used to, but it's still very frustrating to apply to so many jobs, follow up on those applications, and be told time and time and time again that "the position has been filled."

Maybe God wants you to do something different. Maybe you should shoot lower for a temporary job or maybe he just wants you to keep on trying or perhaps he wants you to shoot higher and try to have something published I don't know. I am sure you've been praying about what you should do, be strong and keep praying I'm sure it will come to you :) .

Last edited:
I'm praying for you

Tek,

First I want you to know what a blessing you have been to me in the short time I have known you on the Internet via Steam and TF2. You are always encouraging and you have done a tremendous job with the gaming ministry God has called you to. YES! I believe God has called you to this. I know of several people that have been blessed or encouraged because there is a forum where Christians can game and have fellowship together.

Also my associate pastor has an IT background and is currently working for a large insurance company here in Ohio. If you would be willing to relocate, send me your resume and I could forward it to him and a few others I know.

Lastly I will begin to agree with you in prayer each day until the job God has for you manifests!

Rev.

Tek,

First I want you to know what a blessing you have been to me in the short time I have known you on the Internet via Steam and TF2. You are always encouraging and you have done a tremendous job with the gaming ministry God has called you to. YES! I believe God has called you to this. I know of several people that have been blessed or encouraged because there is a forum where Christians can game and have fellowship together.
Thank you. That definitely helps boost my morale a bit. :) I know I've had to put the job search before both CGA and ToJ and I'm sure it shows, so any positive response on this front is greatly appreciated.

Also my associate pastor has an IT background and is currently working for a large insurance company here in Ohio. If you would be willing to relocate, send me your resume and I could forward it to him and a few others I know.
Unfortunately, because of my wife's work, we're not in a situation where we can relocate. We considered moving to St. Louis last year, but my wife was able to find work that would at least be sufficient to pay the bills. The good news is that she's a doctor. The bad news is that the city where we live is a terrible job market for information technology support and journalism.

Still, thank you very much for the offer. :)
Lastly I will begin to agree with you in prayer each day until the job God has for you manifests!
Thank you. Every prayer helps, I'm sure--even if I don't see the results right now. The funny thing about the job search is that months of frustration can end with a single phone call.

Me as well. I'm not sure where you live but there might be a University of Phoenix that is hiring...it could work. I'll keep you in my prayers. This website is a God-send

Back