The good Shepherd, A question of responsibility

cc.slim

My wife and I within this past year attended a church numerous times and each time we visited my wife would write out a check and basically tithe out of gratefulness of an open door. Well a new door opened and we felt an heartbeat echoing louder through another open door and we departed for it!

Now for some reason tithe envelopes from the latter church keep arriving via mail? I know this is probably automated to which lies my question. Now don't get me wrong I'm only kinda dis'n for I received good word, but the request for money when I've been away for over six months? Not a single live soul to question or check on our well being sent a chill through me to think of a shepherds responsibility of the flock. Is this a sign of a burdened shepherd? I think he should he have at least sent someone. This burns in my mind. Water please!

WOW just WOW. Well the economic crisis had to hit the church sometime I suppose . At least it wasn't an invoice for services rendered ;)

It could be a simple misunderstanding. When I first started attending my church, I would tithe every week by dropping a check in the offering plate. Eventually, they printed envelopes and gave them to me. The clerk of the church is a someone I've known pretty well for many years, so I asked him about it - he said that they assumed that because I was coming on a regular basis and tithing that I would likely continue to do so. Basically, the people that are just "trying out" the church often don't give because they see themselves as guests.... haven't been convicted by the Word to be faithful givers, or any number of other reasons.

But the regulars tend to continue giving, even if they've not officially announced that they want to become members of the church. So he assumed I was going to stay, and printed them so it would make tracking my tithes easier for them... so they can prepare the tax statement at the end of the year.

It could be that they assumed you'd be coming back and printed envelopes for tax purposes. The solution may be as simple as calling the church office and explaining that you've found another church, and you won't be returning.

Last edited:
It could be a simple misunderstanding. When I first started attending my church, I would tithe every week by dropping a check in the offering plate. Eventually, they printed envelopes and gave them to me. The clerk of the church is a someone I've known pretty well for many years, so I asked him about it - he said that they assumed that because I was coming on a regular basis and tithing that I would likely continue to do so. Basically, the people that are just "trying out" the church often don't give because they see themselves as guests.... haven't been convicted by the Word to be faithful givers, or any number of other reasons.

But the regulars tend to continue giving, even if they've not officially announced that they want to become members of the church. So he assumed I was going to stay, and printed them so it would make tracking my tithes easier for them... so they can prepare the tax statement at the end of the year.

It could be that they assumed you'd be coming back and printed envelopes for tax purposes. The solution may be as simple as calling the church office and explaining that you've found another church, and you won't be returning.

I have to agree with Durruck. I don't find that to be a significant issue. It is probably in a large pile of envelopes sent out every month or year. It is just easier to send them out in large piles due, that people like the tax refunds. etc.
I would just call up the church and inform them. Thank them for their service... and yeah....

I think his point is not so much that he is getting the envelopes (which in my reading of the OP is not a big deal) but that he is getting a request for money (automated or not) but nobody to ask if he or his misses is alright. I mean if you have had someone in your church for long enough that you have them on an automated mailing system then you should also know that they have not been at the church for 6 months.

Yes sir ppar3566 its more about that lost one hundredth sheep and no looky. I think its a mega church syndrome. Harvest so great and workers so few and machines ask for mola. When I was young I went with the preacher and my grandfather to do well being checks on members and non members on a weekly basis so my past is what brought me here to question this. Is this a sign that the shepherd is overworked and the side kicks(messengers/deacons/elders) are not keeping up? psst don't do well being checks with the preachers wife and other girlies cause its booooring!

I quit my old church because it had obvious mega church syndrome.
They built a new church building and guess how they attract people to the youth group?
The foyer to the youth room has a ceiling covered in several colors of neon lights at random angles, there are two huge flatscreen TVs with XBox 360s...
This is praise for God?
No...

I find it difficult to go to any church because they all have pitfalls. Such is the human error.

What am I to do?
My understanding of the church is that it is a place to gain and share knowledge, worship the Lord, and make sure to keep a regimend of trying to live up to the standards of Christ, despite the obvious failure that results from being human. So I go to church keeping in mind that whatever the preacher says should not be taken at face value, but generally is truthful.
It brings up the question of whether or not I can rely on myself to try and keep up with my religion or have to go to church and submit myself to the possibility of false teaching or accidental misdirection.

Back