The Divinity of the Bible

Ah yes, Pascal's Wager.

I couldn't do it. I figured, if God really DID exist, he'd rather I was an honest atheist than a dishonest Christian.

haha I dunno...but I doubt God would like you to be an atheist either...If they're both off they're both the wrong thing to do! Rather this or that doesn't really matter...but I dunno what God thinks.

Revelation 3
15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

For God did not send His Son into the world that He might judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. Anyone who believes in Him is not judged, but anyone who does not believe is already judged, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 3:17-18

Genesis1315 said:
For God did not send His Son into the world that He might judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. Anyone who believes in Him is not judged, but anyone who does not believe is already judged, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 3:17-18

Can you give me your interpretation of the verse I posted please?

Marcylene said:
Who whooooooooooo! Amen, brother DV! :) I love it when you quote Scripture!!!

I know my way around a bible or two :)

I'll make sure I quote that scripture if I'm ever proven wrong and I'm face to face with God. "Hey, at least I wasn't lukewarm!"

Dark Virtue said:
This is one of the many things that bothers me about Christianity. Why didn't God write the book himself? Or Christ? Why leave the writing, editing, and translation up to fallible human beings with political and religious agendas?

God did write the book through divine inspiration of the autographical manuscripts only. The writers simply recorded the truth that was given by God directly to them. The autographical manuscripts were the source of all the manuscripts we have in existence today which all of the translations are derived from. Through the science to textual criticism, we can be certain that His word was in fact preserved over thousands of years despite a few insignificant copyist errors that can be corrected by examining other manuscripts and detailing where the variants occur.

However, the translations are NOT inspired and those that claim them as such (KJV only) do so in error. Regardless, the translations we have today are built on a solid rock rooted in textual criticism. We, as Christians, can be sure the Bible we have today has been preserved as God intended it to be. Not one doctrine has be affected by the few minor copyist errors that have shown up from antiquity. Again, divine inspiration only applies to the autographical manuscripts.

Last edited:
We know a lot about many of the writers of the OT and NT. For example, Paul wrote 13 of the 27 books in the NT. Paul shares a lot about himself in his epistles.

There are a couple different things that I found when researching this passage. The second part, where it is mentioned that the Lord will spew you from his mouth seems pretty cut and dry and both from my own understanding and other commentaries on this passage, no additional description is needed. The part I find interesting is the first, where we are told to be either hot or cold. Now, my initial understanding was either you were for God or not. But as I studied this passage, two other points surfaced in a couple of the commentaries. The first reflects those who go throught the actions of being a Christian, but really aren't and the other is for those who lead the flock, who profess to live a Christian life but do not actually do it.

Gen

Dark Virtue said:
Are you of the opinion that Moses wrote the Pentatach?

Yes. We can be certain the Moses wrote the Pentateuch for the following three reasons:

1. The books themselves claim to have been written by Moses (Ex. 24:4,7; 34:27-28; Nu. 33:2; De. 1:1-5; 4:4-5; 31:9,24-26).

2. Other O.T. books claim Moses wrote the Pentateuch (Jos. 1:7; 8:32-35; Jud. 3:4; 1 Kings 2:3; Ezra 2:6; Neh. 9:14; Mal. 4:4).

3. The N.T. claims Moses wrote the Pentateuch (Mk. 12:26; Lk. 16:29-31; Jn. 1:17; 5:45-47; 8:5; Ac. 15:21; 2 Co. 3:15).

I see.

Do you also believe that Matthew was written by Matthew? Mark by Mark? Luke by Luke? John by John?

Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Absolutely. I'm more than keenly aware of some liberal theologians that assert otherwise. However, we are discussing the inspiration of the autographical manuscripts to bring things back to your OP. If you'd like to discuss/debate the synoptics, please start another thread and I'll be happy to participate.

Back