the death of an enemy - especially an evil person

Abba San

Legacy of Elijah [LoE] - Proud Grandfather
What are Christians to think and feel - and more importantly, what does God have to say about Osama bin Laden's death?

I have my thoughts and verses - but I want to give others a chance to chime in first.

Well the Prophet Ezekiel gave some insight when he said...
Tell them: As I live"—the declaration of the Lord GOD —"I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked person should turn from his way and live. Repent, repent of your evil ways! Why will you die, house of Israel?
Ezekiel 33:11

That is a good and appropriate verse for us to include in the discussion - thanks for getting us started.

Some quick points:

We must keep in mind that God is the ultimate judge, not us

Take heart in the fact that no more acts of destruction will come from this man again. This is made possible by his death, but could have also been a result of a death to the evil in his heart through conversion. Remember that Saul also persecuted and killed many. However, he was shown the err of his ways and accepted Christ into his heart. Paul became one of our most prolific authors in the Bible. Osama (Usama?) could very well have been extended the same Grace that God has extended us. Some hearts, though, remain hardened even in the presence of the Lord.

And lastly, God has the power to forgive all sins if He is given the chance. No sin or streak of sins is too great for Jesus' blood to cover. Saying that Bin Laden is/was beyond redemption is to limit God's saving power.

At this point, it's between him and God. We can rejoice in the knowledge that evil will no longer come from this man.

Good quick points. That is the reason why we can pray for protection and provision - but also conversion. Thanks.

Another verse to consider:

When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers. Proverbs 21:15 (NIV)

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation. ... Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true."

- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last edited:
Back