The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Just finished LWW for the first time. Very nice read. A couple of things that stood out as Christian allegory:

1. Aslan, the Lion King = Jesus, the Lion of Judah, King of Kings
2. Punishment for being a traitor to the Emperor (God) = death
3. Aslan's death and resurrection = Jesus' death and resurrection
4. Stone Table breaking = veil of temple torn in two
5. Narnia = spiritual realm-- always there, but only so often do we get a glimpse
6. Cair Paravel (possibly) = Millennial Kingdom? Heaven?

Also, any thoughts on the White Stag would be appreciated. :)

Well, let's think about the White Stag.
It's the thing that is hunted after, it leads the children back to the wardrobe. Allegory for angelic messengers. Remember, animals have a greater impact in Narnia than on earth, so there's no reason why angelic beings would resolve their forms to that of a human.

Biblically, we have instances of angelic beings leading people to things (Lot, Sheperds), so that fits within the structure. Since if the stag is caught, he grants a wish (for something or some knowledge) this also fits into the category of things angels do (bring knowledge or deliver something to people)

Dark Virtue said:
Here's an, um, interesting review from the other side of the fence: http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1657759,00.html

Keep in mind this was written by a Brit, so their tolerance for Christianity is much lower than here in the US. I've also noticed a HUGE difference in how the British and Americans view CS Lewis.

It's always sad to learn about someone who has rejected Christ as strongly as the author of that article.

Also commenting on WildBillKickoff's post, I doubt that Cair Paravel would represent the eternal kingdom, but maybe. Part of The Last Battle takes place in the new Narnia which is heaven.

I saw it yesterday with my friend's church. It was okay, i read the books. : o

and i'm one year older today! *well yesterday, i was .999 years older... :D

I think that the movie was a good representation of christ. next week, WINTERBREAK! which means i'll be back on forums. back to studying for finalS!

I saw it last night, and I must say that it was amazing. I went into the movie thinking that it might be alright..if not a little lame. Boy, was I wrong. I saw multiple things in the movie that could be references to christianity. I hope the same people redo all the movies in the series, just like they redid all the star wars, and lord of the rings books into video.

oh my word.. simply amazing! it wasn't a let down at all! followed the book as close as a movie can.. i will definatly be buying this! W0W!

Dark Virtue said:
Here's an, um, interesting review from the other side of the fence: http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1657759,00.html

Keep in mind this was written by a Brit, so their tolerance for Christianity is much lower than here in the US. I've also noticed a HUGE difference in how the British and Americans view CS Lewis.

This review made me throw up in my mouth a bit.After the initial sickness it got me thinking we need to pray for those who hate us or our movies.We are the light of the world and we need to share that.To love on those who hate us and what were doing.The only answer to hate is love!!!!

Old_schoola said:
This review made me throw up in my mouth a bit.After the initial sickness it got me thinking we need to pray for those who hate us or our movies.We are the light of the world and we need to share that.To love on those who hate us and what were doing.The only answer to hate is love!!!!

Where do you think this hate comes from? Why the vehemence?

Back