TF2 Patch: Hints at Huge Gameplay Changes

Sacrifice

ORIGINAL POST: http://kotaku.com/5220736/team-fortress-2-patch-hints-at-new-headgear-huge-gameplay-changes

The most recent Team Fortress 2 update brings with it updates that may radically change the way we play the game, including the fascinating—but still unannounced—addition of headgear to classes. Oh, it gets much better.

While the official Valve change log rather mundanely notes that the Team Fortress 2 team has "reworked the character loadout screens to support future features," it doesn't specify what the pictured "head" slot is for. Fortunately, some of the game's data files may give us a very clear picture about what we'll see on each class' noggins. They may also lay out the future of TF2 class changes.

Each class appears to be receiving new headgear, which may or may not have an impact on gameplay. The Heavy looks like he's getting a football helmet, with the Demoman getting a 'Fro, as they call it. The Engineer's getting a mining helmet, and the Scout's getting a batter's helmet. The most intriguing, though, is the Sniper's "tooth belt."

The same documents also list other loadout slots beyond primary, secondary and melee weapons, including an open slot for grenades, PDAs and buildings. Yes, that could mean that grenades could be returning to Team Fortress.

But the biggest potential game changer includes what appear to be Diablo II-like item attributes that modify the way weapons behave. These include variations on things like clip size, firing speed, critical hits, chance to slow targets on hit, Ubercharge rate and much more. Game files even describe these as having levels, naming weapons in the style of "Level 4 Medigun of X ÜberCharge rate." If these randomized weapons drop from downed enemies, it could make the game very interesting.

The addition of all these potential loadout items may explain why Valve just added an option to permanently delete an unlocked weapon (or item) from one's inventory in the latest update. The developer may be limiting the number of weapons and items a player can carry in his "backpack."

We'll also note that these may be work-in-progress updates, things that may change over time or may never see the light of day. We've contacted Valve to see if the company can explain these changes further.

Last edited:
I feel ill after reading that. Please Valve pleeeeeeeease don't break TF2 it's so extremely rare I find a game I like as much as it T_T.

I feel ill after reading that. Please Valve pleeeeeeeease don't break TF2 it's so extremely rare I find a game I like as much as it T_T.

I've liked the changes so far, I trust Valve. I don't think these new changes will overhaul the game entirely, just add some customization features.

The only thing I am uncertain about is the grenades. I am not sure if I want that back in the game. That being said, maybe it is just for certain classes in their class update.

I believe it's just going to be for some wacky new mode (single player? :p), but helmets would fit the sniper update I guess. xD

Valve, you just made Mikuru cry.

(I've been waiting for a solid week for an excuse to post that link.)

But seriously, I hope Valve has enough sense to realize that random events belong in MMO games and not FPS titles.

I mean, what numskull developer is going to break a wonderfully innovative shooter with random events like critica--Ohhh, right.

Even then, I hope Kotaku's conjecture is completely and utterly incorrect. TF2 is the first team-based multiplayer FPS game I've really enjoyed in a long, long while. I don't want them to go all Jedi Knight II 1.04 on us and ruin the game we've come to love.

Some of the additions sound bad but the addition of grenades may not be if they keep it to a single class themed grenade per character which is what I think they are going to do. Grenades like this have been in the sdk since a long while back (several class updates). The static prop names are...

w_grenade_beartrap
w_grenade_bomblet
w_grenade_conc (presumably stands for concussion)
w_grenade_emp
w_grenade_frag
w_grenade_gas
w_grenade_heal (it looks like the holy hand grenade from Monty Python :p :p :p :D)
w_grenade_nail
w_grenade_napalm

From their appearance and names some seem very themed to certain class...

beartrap = sniper (possible holds a target temporally for shooting)
bomblet = demo (its a single dynamite stick. IDK what it could do different than his regular stuff because it doesn't look proximity triggered like a claymore or anything. Maybe it just has a long fuse)
frag = soldier (it looks like your standard USA world war 2 grenade)
heal = medic (a heal bomb for a quick or over time aoe heal buff perhaps?)
napalm = pyro (looks like a fire extinguisher but from the name I'd say it does the opposite)

I'm guessing gas is the spy's because he had a gas grenade in TF Classic or so I've been told :) (smokescreens would be cool too for stylish attacks/escapes too ^^). As to the others nail is maybe engy but then who gets a emp grenade? Nothing seems heavy or scout themed either.

There are also a w_grenade_mirv and a w_grenade_mirv_demo models but I think these were for something else long since past.

None of them appear properly skinned yet though.

But seriously, I hope Valve has enough sense to realize that random events belong in MMO games and not FPS titles.

I mean, what numskull developer is going to break a wonderfully innovative shooter with random events like critica--Ohhh, right.

Even then, I hope Kotaku's conjecture is completely and utterly incorrect. TF2 is the first team-based multiplayer FPS game I've really enjoyed in a long, long while. I don't want them to go all Jedi Knight II 1.04 on us and ruin the game we've come to love.

There are a few minor things I could name that need fixing in TF2 but as far as updates go the Sandman has been the only bad one they still haven't fixed right IMO. Still headgear and, much more so, item deleting just don't sound right any way I think of it :/.

Last edited:
The headgear could always be cosmetic, but who knows. Grenades may or may not be good. I think they need to be easily disable-able on a server though, because I personally enjoy not getting blown up every ten seconds by somebody who is entirely too good at 'nade spam.

I think they need to be easily disable-able on a server though, because I personally enjoy not getting blown up every ten seconds by somebody who is entirely too good at 'nade spam.

I agree.

I am excited to see what these updates might bring that is new to the game but scared at the same time that they will mess up more then they benefit. With all those different grenades it is going to make it hard to play engineer. If you get multiple grenades thrown at your sentry at the same time its going to be hard to keep yourself and everything else repaired/alive.
I am very curious to what the helmets are going to do, anyone have Ideas? Will they make it harder to head shot for sniper??

Although if they bring concs back, tons of old TFCers will be conc-jumping all over the map and the game gets a LOT more fast paced really quickly.

I probably didn't phrase my last post right when I said "single class themed grenade" I meant that a player should only be able to carry a single grenade of his class specific type at a time, negating continuous spam... which is the demo's job :p .

Although if they bring concs back, tons of old TFCers will be conc-jumping all over the map and the game gets a LOT more fast paced really quickly.
And a lot more annoying. Unless they can be turned off on a server, I will quit playing if concs come back. >_<

thats why its scary getting attached to a Valve game...a company that has technology to change their game in a blink of an eye and ruin the whole game...and than since they don't actually contact you after you contact them they will never know that you don't like it and thus won't change it back :eek::mad:

Back